Phantom 2 Versions

Reaction score
Having received my Phantom for my Birthday, I have recommended it to my friend. He was looking to buy one for his GoPro, but he (and now me too) got confused about versions - He saw an eBay post saying "DJI Phantom 2 Version 2". I know about all the types of Phantom 2s - P2, P2V, P2V+, but I wondered what VERSION meant in this case? If it is the P2, surely that is a version, and does not have subcategories in itself?
The page is this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJI-Phant...g-Drone-for-Aerial-Photography-/301476985217?
If you can please say what a Phantom 2 Version 2 means and how many versions there are and if this eBay page is any good I would be very grateful!
Thanks in advance!
Harry G.

Phantom 2 has 2 series - The P2 (Non-Vision) and the P2 Vision Series.

The P2 (Non-Vision)
2.4Ghz Controller and usually does not come with a camera.
You will need to purchase 5.8Ghz FPV if wish to see what you are filming. Information is downstream only unless you install a Bluetooth unit.

The P2 (Non-Vision) has 2 variants (3 if you count the larger "H33D hole" version).
Visually:
P2 version 1 - has dots on the CCW motors. The compass is visible on the leg. Remote uses AA batteries and no tilt dial on the shoulder.
P2 version 2 - the CCW motor tips are painted black and more powerful and upgraded ESC 2.1. The compass is integrated into the skids. Remote has lipo battery and battery meter and has tilt dial on the shoulder.

The P2 Vision
5.8Ghz Controller and comes with a DJI camera. You do NOT need to purchase FPV as it comes with a 2.4Ghz Wifi system that streams bi-directional information via android/ios device. The controllers come with a range extender and a phone/smart device holder.

Visually:
P2 Vision Version 1 - has the golf ball camera and has 1 degree of movement and no axis stabilisation. has dots on the CCW motors. The compass is visible on the leg. Remote uses AA batteries and no tilt dial on the shoulder.
P2 Vision Version 2 - has the 3 axis DJI camera. has dots on the CCW motors. The compass is visible on the leg. Remote uses AA batteries and no tilt dial on the shoulder.
P2 Vision Version 3 - has the revised 3 axis DJI camera (large press plate to stop the camera from popping out from a crash). the CCW motor tips are painted black and more powerful and upgraded ESC 2.1. The compass is incorporated into the skids. Remote has lipo battery and battery meter and has tilt dial on the shoulder. Not so visible is the upgraded GPS shielding and the perforated wifi module inside the phantom.

**please be wary that the P2 Vision Plus Version 3 used left over parts. Some early releases used older gen 2.0 ESC's and unperforated wifi modules.

Some parts are all interchangeable from the Non Vision and Vision range.
If you know what you are doing, you can get best of both worlds and save a few hundred by building a Vision Plus with Gopro and H33D and use the DJI app as FPV.

Reactions: Juventino
Thank you! Can you give more detail how to do the saving of a few hundred and what the best of both worlds are? I know GoPro and gimbal is one but what is the other?

Thank you! Can you give more detail how to do the saving of a few hundred and what the best of both worlds are? I know GoPro and gimbal is one but what is the other?

Best of both worlds... And cheap. It's a P2 Vision Plus with H33D and gopro3.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=e6da0ddacc7fe37386b5c4d889638fb1&t=2213815&page=17

Vision Plus = $1500. Has 2 way communication = ground station, radar, dynamic home point, find my phantom.
Downside is that the camera+gimbal is proprietary and fragile and 1080p@30fps is a dismal 11mbs with heaps of compression and artifacts. Looks unprofessional and nokia like footage.

Other option
P2 Non Vision with H33D/AVL58 transmitter/BlackPearl receiver/Mini IOSD/cloverleaf antennas = approx $1600 (no gopro). Now this only has 1 way communications. You will need a 2.4ghz bluetooth uplink for Groundstation. I didnt mention gopro3/4 as its hard to factor it in if you use it for other purposes like upskirting etc. Problem is you always had to make sure the Black Pearl was charged up otherwise you will have no FPV. You had better range with this setup but the signal was analogue and heaps of static.

What did i do?
I didn't like the 1080p@30fps quality on the vision plus and i couldn't care less about photos as i was into aerial filming. I sold the Vision plus camera and gimbal for $450 which funded for a H33D gimbal and $10 zenmuse cable. Did the conversion and used an android with the Vision app. Though i wasn't able to control the camera settings mid flight (ISO, AWB, Resolution), the gopro3 1080p@60fps outshines the P2V+. Now my P2V+ behaves like a Vision plus but is able to take videos with a GoPro and I feel more free and no longer at DJI's mercy if i crashed and broke the ribbon cable.
I consider this cheaper if you dont factor the Gopro cost (some will argue).

Hi I recently purchased a P2 version 1 with the little rectangular hole at the under cartridge my problem is what is the best gimbal that would suited for this version 1 drone or mount for my go pro hero 3+ I love my drone and is more than likely to upgrade to a better one in the near future but for now I wanna be all I can be hi hi any info would be great fully appreciated thanks in advance .

Having received my Phantom for my Birthday, I have recommended it to my friend. He was looking to buy one for his GoPro, but he (and now me too) got confused about versions - He saw an eBay post saying "DJI Phantom 2 Version 2". I know about all the types of Phantom 2s - P2, P2V, P2V+, but I wondered what VERSION meant in this case? If it is the P2, surely that is a version, and does not have subcategories in itself?
The page is this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJI-Phant...g-Drone-for-Aerial-Photography-/301476985217?
If you can please say what a Phantom 2 Version 2 means and how many versions there are and if this eBay page is any good I would be very grateful!
Thanks in advance!
Harry G.
To make it simple the version 2 has better controller better motors better ESC's

hey, i wanna connect dji phantom 2 non-vision to my android phone, how to do that ?
+ how to know my battery percentage when the drone is flying.
i have fpv module and 5.8 ghz receiver with usb for the phone

Attachments

• IMG-523bd343365fa3cafc5382afbf2a671c-V.jpg
    IMG-523bd343365fa3cafc5382afbf2a671c-V.jpg
    795.5 KB · Views: 115

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member