Phantom 2 keeps tipping over

Reaction score
Back story to this:

My uncle tried installing an aftermarket gimbal and ended up burning the main board. He then replaced it and thats when the problem started happening. It kept tipping over when he tried taking off every time. Out of fustration he gave the phantom and told me, if i fix it i can have it. So i went and searched and searched and searched, so far i have done these:

Multiple IMU calibrations
Gps Calibration
2x new esc
Updated firmware on both controller and dji

So right now im stuck at this point with about $280 in parts with no flight time.

Back story to this:

My uncle tried installing an aftermarket gimbal and ended up burning the main board. He then replaced it and thats when the problem started happening. It kept tipping over when he tried taking off every time. Out of fustration he gave the phantom and told me, if i fix it i can have it. So i went and searched and searched and searched, so far i have done these:

Gps Calibration
2x new esc

So right now im stuck at this point with about $280 in parts with no flight time.

Lets start with the naza module and all of the connections that were made by your uncle. Check the following photos. The top row of connectors over X 1, 2 and 3 are indexed and will only go in one way. Just make sure they plugged in correctly. Also check that the motors were wired correctly check photo.
IMG_3615.jpg
IMG_3616.jpg
IMG_3617.jpg
IMG_1549.jpg

Sorry for late response,

Yes the connections look like the pics above. He does have a small circuit board with a ribbon cable going to the zenmuse connector on the main board. I'm guessing its for the gimbal ?

Sorry for late response,

Yes the connections look like the pics above. He does have a small circuit board with a ribbon cable going to the zenmuse connector on the main board. I'm guessing its for the gimbal ?

That should be anti-interference board. What about the last photo is the wiring for the motors the same? the ccw motors have either a black dot on top of the shaft or a completely black shaft. If those are not in the correct order can be a problem. Looking from the battery end the ccw motor is on the right and left on the front.

Wiring looks the same as the pic above aswell.

I had to get new props, broke the last set trying to take off.

Wiring looks the same as the pic above aswell.

I had to get new props, broke the last set trying to take off.

Did you install all FPV equipment that your uncle gave you? More then likely the reason he burnt the board in the first place is that he crossed the power line to the immersion transmitter. So check that the ground and B+ on the TX are correct..

Have you download the software for both the RC controller and the P2? If not here's the link Phantom 2 - Downloads - Manuals, Software, Drivers download | DJI You will need P2 assistant software v3.8, Rc assistant software v1.2 and the windows driver if you're using a PC

You need to calibrate the controllers sticks and X1 tilt control for the gimbal also make sure the RC is in mode 2 then do the samething with the controller turned on for the P2 sticks, X1 and the advanced IMU make sure all the sticks are in norm and not rev.. Also download the user's manual with the same link above and read it over

When you have 6 or more satellites and ready for takeoff just give it full throttle and once in the air about 6 feet release the stick. Just let hover and check that you have slow flashing green LED's.

He bought a new main board for it before he gave it to me. The aftermarket gimbal was thrown away since it was burnt out.

The voltage and ground look alright, wasnt his best soldering job lol.

Ill try calibrating the controller again

Attachments

• 1453144385876-1318845180.jpg
    1453144385876-1318845180.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 577
  • 1453144419854-1978658325.jpg
    1453144419854-1978658325.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 604
  • 1453144454313-1207011320.jpg
    1453144454313-1207011320.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 583
Back story to this:

Gps Calibration
2x new esc

You have installed the 4pin M1 cable upside down. Look on your NAZA, the M1 cables are for the 4 motors. If they are upside down, then the motors will spin incorrectly and flip IMMEDIATELY on take off.

I'll find pictures if I can...

Edit.. here we go - thanks @jason
M1%20Cable.jpg

it never gets off the ground for me.
It starts up but as soon as i try to take off it tips over towards the battery side. ive tried giving it 50% all the way up to 100% throttle with same results.

battery side = backwards??
If you are out of luck and clutching at straws then just flip the M1 cable around. Wouldn't hurt to try..

how can i tell if the battery connector on the dji was wiredf wrong?
would it of fried it as soon as i plugged it in?

ill try flipping the connector around and try flying, its dark outside so would i be able to fly inside my house?

how can i tell if the battery connector on the dji was wiredf wrong?
would it of fried it as soon as i plugged it in?

ill try flipping the connector around and try flying, its dark outside so would i be able to fly inside my house?

Are all the motors 2312 and are the props all 9450?? Did you follow the instructions in my post #6 to the letter?

ill go over it again but yes motors are 2312 and 9450 props

It's not impossible that your uncle also damaged the nazn module as well when he shorted out the board.because all the wiring looks good and it's correctly wired. The only other possibility is you are not giving it a 100% stick for takeoff which will cause it to tilt forward..

It's not impossible that your uncle also damaged the nazn module as well when he shorted out the board.because all the wiring looks good and it's correctly wired. The only other possibility is you are not giving it a 100% stick for takeoff which will cause it to tilt forward..
Yea thats what i was thinking, ill try getting a new one and repost once i get it.

Do you have a link to which one i should buy?

Yea thats what i was thinking, ill try getting a new one and repost once i get it.

Do you have a link to which one i should buy?

Yes I checked a source yesterday. DJI MC for Phantom 2 Vision (PART9) CP.PT.000051 B&H Photo Video Before ordering this I suggest you connect the GPS put shell back on and hold together with rubber bands and once again try to takeoff at a 100% left stick not 50% or a slow stick. Now if it takes off without tipping land it and put it together If it doesn't work then order the part.

I ordered a used naza flight controller and guess what.

It flies!!!

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl