Phantom 2 fatal crash

Reaction score
Was having fun showing my son how much fun the P2 is when this happened without warning.
Was hovering when without warning the motors shut down and it flipped over and crashed heavily. Its a fatal crash sadly, the only survior was the gopro which lucky for me was running at the time. If anyone can shed some light as to what the cause was please leave comments as I have taken it to the suppliers here and i know they are going to reject the cause to be a failure.
But A miracle might just happen and they might admit it was a failure, time will tell, wont know until after new year.
Here is the video with sound.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nLXBDzx7qg

Bad battery? Dirty contacts? bad soldering? Pilot induced engine stop?

It can be any number of things. Open it up to check for bad connections. You might get it fixed or replaced under warranty if you can prove that it wasn't your fault. The video shows that it suddenly happens without obvious cause, unless you did a full engine stop with both transmitter sticks (the way you start it up). Unfortunately the video doesn't rule that out entirely.

It happens, specially during a demo for others, pilots forget that both sticks in the outer or inner corners shuts down all engines instantly. Not saying that this happened here, so do check the innards of your P2 for anything thats loose and shouldn't be. And check the battery contacts for corrosion and see if it holds connection with the phantom when you shake it.

I think this thread should be in the general or P2 section. You will get more replies and advise there. All phantoms share the same propulsion and control system (the only difference is the software, battery type and control freq), and this has nothing to do with a gimbal, Zenmuse or whatever.

Sorry, I mean the HELP section. That's the place to ask.

This should be in the P2 section. Three things I can see. 1. Increasing loss of horizon indicative of IMU/compass issue. 2. Increasing vibration (jello) before the power failure. 3. Normal (not excessive) load on the battery at the time.

More video from the time leading up to the power loss may be helpful.

Thanks guys, I have moved it into the help section.

In answer to your suggestions, All contacts are solid. I opened it up and found all electrical connections tight and clean.
It is with the Australian distributors and they said they would check out the cause after xmas. Not holding my breath for good news though.
I am aware of the shut down positions on the controller. I never go anywhere near that as with when I descend I never pull the lever right back, its just a safety thing I have.
As for more video before the crash well in my error I only kept what you saw. Lesson learnt though. But i do think its good enough to show the actual event.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl