People that want to downgrade their FW on their phantom 3's

I took a break from working on this during the week, got new truck and played in the snow.

I have the "broken" camera hooked up to a "good" p3a to workaround the compass issues. The camera is at 1.01.00009 and wont take any different/new firmware, shows camera error. I tried the service bin file (big thank you to Apilot101 as well) and i got it to actually try and run that file, the camrea LED flashes green/red when i did it (it wouldnt do this for anything else). After a few minutes, it showed solid red LED showing failure. It renamed the firmware file "MVOM0Fw.bin" to "MVOM0Fw_damaged.bin" and left this detail in the P3X_FW_LOG_AB.txt log file:

[00010847][17 01] Firmware upgrading start...
[00010790][17 01] Firmware upgrading start...
[00053300][17 01] Firmware upgrade finish failed (step = 2, err = 0x00).

Next step is to downgrade to DJI Pilot 1.2 and see what the camera does. I may also rollback RC to 1.4 or 1.3 to see if it helps per some advice ive received. I'm also going to try putting all the files from the internal SD card back on it, including the file SYS.DJI to see if it helps and re-run the MV service bin file through camera.

I don't have a "good" camera to try on the broken aircraft, but i did try to remove the compass from main board and turning on, it still showed compass error. I tried another / good compass and same thing. I;m focusing on fixing this camera for now, gonna look at the aircraft later in the week. I wont lie, im not entirely optimistic, so I'm not investing alot of time .. and its been snowing and I have a new truck to play with :)

Will keep ya guys posted.

Reactions: Apilot101
@Digdat0 the "MVOM0Fw.bin" contains update for OFDM board, not for the camera. You shouldn't update it on another drone - it will do nothing to the camera itself. Be careful or you'll get yourself two bricks. OFDM board is the one below VPS, antennas are plugged into it.

If I were you, I'd try to update the camera firmware only (I think there are two), with binaries extracted from firmware V01.02.0006.

Reactions: Digdat0
@Digdat0 the "MVOM0Fw.bin" contains update for OFDM board, not for the camera. You shouldn't update it on another drone - it will do nothing to the camera itself. Be careful or you'll get yourself two bricks. OFDM board is the one below VPS, antennas are plugged into it.

If I were you, I'd try to update the camera firmware only (I think there are two), with binaries extracted from firmware V01.02.0006.
What about the DM368Fw.bin file that was floating around last year?
I think Dig is out playing in the snow :)

I successfully downgraded my P3A from 1.06.0040 to 1.05.0030 and then, using P3S_FW_DEBUG, to 1.4.0010
all systems seems to be working fine, at least everything that can be checked without actual flying, because it's snowing here
switching motors on and off is working too, motors are responding to stick inputs
as soon as there is good weather, I'll go to check how it actually flies
so at the moment, thanks a lot for info about downgrading ;)

I successfully downgraded my P3A from 1.06.0040 to 1.05.0030 and then, using P3S_FW_DEBUG, to 1.4.0010
all systems seems to be working fine, at least everything that can be checked without actual flying, because it's snowing here
switching motors on and off is working too, motors are responding to stick inputs
as soon as there is good weather, I'll go to check how it actually flies
so at the moment, thanks a lot for info about downgrading ;)
This is good news. Do you have instructions on how to do this?

so this topic is dead? any progress on a successful downgrade and recovery of your phantom?

What about the DM368Fw.bin file that was floating around last year?

This is a single FW for m0800, which is "video encoder 'DaVinci Dm368 Linux'". The video encoder is placed on the camera board, I've seen it on a photo of the gimbal board which someone recently posted (to be exact it was DM365 on the board; but that's not much of a difference).

Also, on recent firmwares this file will only be accepted if renamed to "PDM368Fw3.bin".

Source:
forcing fw downgrade with P3X_FW_DEBUG · Issue #4 · mefistotelis/phantom-firmware-tools · GitHub

I was searching around in one of the FW bin files with IDA and I saw where it said P3X_FW_DEBUG and I found two other possible file names…P3X_FW_DEBUG_2 and P3X_FW_LOOP…I don’t really know what I’m looking at or if they would do anything but thought it was interesting…. Debug2.PNG

I also have question for you guys who created those firmware tools
if I
1. unpack modules from FW's bin
2. change ver_rollbk in head.ini to 01.01.0006
3. pack modules back into bin

will I be able to install this modified firmware?
and, most importantly, will I be then able to install any original formware newer than and equal 1.1.6?

I also have question for you guys who created those firmware tools
if I
1. unpack modules from FW's bin
2. change ver_rollbk in head.ini to 01.01.0006
3. pack modules back into bin

will I be able to install this modified firmware?
and, most importantly, will I be then able to install any original formware newer than and equal 1.1.6?
My understanding is they are encrypted. It may happen , but just may take time.
I have rolled my FW back from 1.6 down to 1.3 on the quad.

Last edited:
The android version has a drifting issue you may not be able to live with. I personally would not call it drifting. It's more like not flying straight, or the nose not returning to the "point of direction".
today we had nice weather so I could finally test my downgraded P3A (AC at 1.4.10 with RC at 1.4.30)
I calibrated the compass, I haven't done it for a long time
flight was ok, I didn't have the issue you had described
when I rotated AC to specific direction and pushed elevator stick, bird flew exactly to that direction, no "drifting" at all
thanks to Litchi I also finally broke that 500 m height barrier, AC flew up to 636 m, then I lost connection completely (distance was only 530 m and so angle was larger than 45° - not optimal conditions for signal at all)
next time I will try these high-altitude flights with larger distance

Reactions: Oso
I used Litchi 2.0.6 (versions up to 2.3.1 should work)
there was no need to use RTH exploit - once Litchi sends max-height setting to the AC, it stays there until AC is turned off

Thank you for usefull information. I wander if those older versions of Litchi would work with 1.7.60 with same result regarding sending flight parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.