Passed the Part 107 test this morning

Reaction score
This morning I passed my Part 107 test.
I had couple of weather questions, a few sectional chart questions, a few Lat/Long questions, a few METARs and airport/runway operations.

It took me about 3 weeks to study the material at my own pace, I did not enroll in any online courses.
I watched a few Youtube videos, I also spent $4.99 on an App I bought at the Apple store with test questions. I kept testing myself with the app until I consistently passed the moc test with 93%.

It is also important to note, that I took a free online course in IACARA's training website. The name of the course is "FAA Safety Aviation Learning Center Online Course" course number ALC-451. Again, the course is completely free and not a requirement to take the Part 107 test but it is recommended. When you complete they give you a completion certificate. I feel this course helped me quite a bit.

They give you 2 hours to complete the test, 60 questions total, I completed the test in an hour. I started answering all of the questions I knew the answers, I skipped and marked for later review the questions I was not sure of the answers. When I was done I went back to the top of the test to answer the ones I had skipped.

You are not allowed to bring a cell phone, I brought a basic function calculator however the proctor provided one. They provide a pencil, scratch paper and the sectional charts, Metars, Etc.

My test was not easy but I was prepared.

This is the App I used to prepare for the FAA Part 107 test, I highly recommend it.

Btw, I am not related in anyway to the developer nor getting a commission for recommending it.

File Apr 28, 5 41 01 PM.png

Reactions: starship
...I did not enroll in any online courses.

...I took a free online course...
Mr. ElGuapo, can you explain the inconsistencies in your two statements above?

And where were you at 8 p.m. on the night of March 14th? You were, in fact, at the Hotel Regent with Miss Marples, weren't you? The two of you, waiting patiently in the stairwell for Col. Mustard. Waiting, so you could enact your evil deed! Tell us the truth! You and you alone DID take the online course from Col. Mustard, didn't you??!!! Confess!

Mr. ElGuapo, can you explain the inconsistencies in your two statements above?

And where were you at 8 p.m. on the night of March 14th? You were, in fact, at the Hotel Regent with Miss Marples, weren't you? The two of you, waiting patiently in the stairwell for Col. Mustard. Waiting, so you could enact your evil deed! Tell us the truth! You and you alone DID take the online course from Col. Mustard, didn't you??!!! Confess!

I think he meant "enroll" as in pay [emoji383] for an online class

One word about the free course at faasafety.gov (ALC-451). It's a great resource, but don't consider it a primary source of Part 107 info. Since it is designed for manned aircraft pilots, it skips all the airspace, chart reading, weather, aerodynamics, and airport operations topics - which are a huge part of the FAA Part 107 exam. All in all, it covers maybe a quarter of the material you may see on full test.

The AIM is another excellent resource. However, be advised that it is very terse reading and less than 20% of it has any relevance to Part 107 operations.

The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge is also a good resource. It's easier reading than the AIM, but like the AIM, the majority of it does not apply to Part 107 ops.

The one thing that DOES have great relevance to you as you prepare for you Remote Pilot Knowledge Test is the Airman Certification Standards (ACS). This tells you precisely what the FAA expects you to know. Cross reference that with any materials you are using to study.

Here's a link to an annotated version of the Remote Pilot ACS:
http://www.uav-groundschool.com/library/uas_acs.pdf

What was your score. I took mine 2 weeks ago and studied on my own. Did not buy a lesson. I studied for about 2 weeks and surprisingly on scored 72%. At least I passed

What was your score. I took mine 2 weeks ago and studied on my own. Did not buy a lesson. I studied for about 2 weeks and surprisingly on scored 72%. At least I passed

Congrats!! - You passed.

My score was 83%. My personal advise to all of future FAA Part 107 applicants reading this thread, I highly recommend to take the time to read each question carefully. They give you 2 hrs to complete, you have 2 minutes per question. I missed 2 questions because I did not take the time to read question, I knew the answer, it is just the way the sentence was structured. One of the questions I missed was weather related and was something like "What is not a concern during a thunderstorm"; I did not pay attention to the "not" part in the sentence, so I answered it as if the sentence read "What is a concern during a thunderstorm", obviously the wrong answer.

I think he meant "enroll" as in pay [emoji383] for an online class

Sorry, that is correct. I meant, I did not enroll on any of those paid courses, some of them are $149.

I just took it today. I started studying yesterday but back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, I was an Air Traffic Controller in the AF. I just needed to refresh my memory on a lot of stuff like reading METAR's etc. The toughest thing for me was reading the aeronautical charts with my crappy eyes!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl