Part 107 for current Part 61 Certificate holders

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
For those of you who are "current" as Part 61 certificate holders (current as in BFR in last 24 months etc) if you elect to take the Part 107 Online Test and pass it (and you will LOL) you'll have to take the next step and get your credentials certified.

If you live close to a FSDO you can make an appointment there to get this done. But if you're like me and live a LONG way from the FSDO you can go to a local CFI and they can verify and submit for you but... the "Announcement & Guidance" for the CFI was just released from the FAA a few moments ago. In layman's terms... if you call and ask them about it right now they may give you that "Deer in the headlights" look and shrug their shoulders. If you contact them ask them if they have reviewed FAA Notice 8900.379 and if they haven't they can look it up as of now.

Basically is explains how DPEs who wish to be authorized as an RPE will take an online course which will give them the authority to process UAS pilot applications. Theoretically, they can be an RPE on August 29th.

Current, Part 61 pilots who have competed the online UAS course can visit an RPE and be issued a temporary airman certificate.

If you have any questions drop me a PM or reply here and I'll try to get the answers for you.

Just to stress this only applies to operators who currently have their FAA Pilot's License and who are "current".

For those of you who are "current" as Part 61 certificate holders (current as in BFR in last 24 months etc) if you elect to take the Part 107 Online Test and pass it (and you will LOL) you'll have to take the next step and get your credentials certified.

If you live close to a FSDO you can make an appointment there to get this done. But if you're like me and live a LONG way from the FSDO you can go to a local CFI and they can verify and submit for you but... the "Announcement & Guidance" for the CFI was just released from the FAA a few moments ago. In layman's terms... if you call and ask them about it right now they may give you that "Deer in the headlights" look and shrug their shoulders. If you contact them ask them if they have reviewed FAA Notice 8900.379 and if they haven't they can look it up as of now.

Basically is explains how DPEs who wish to be authorized as an RPE will take an online course which will give them the authority to process UAS pilot applications. Theoretically, they can be an RPE on August 29th.

Current, Part 61 pilots who have competed the online UAS course can visit an RPE and be issued a temporary airman certificate.

If you have any questions drop me a PM or reply here and I'll try to get the answers for you.

Just to stress this only applies to operators who currently have their FAA Pilot's License and who are "current".
I have a current license, so where do I find the Part 107 Online Test site. And how does that work? do I take the test online and hopefully receive a passing grade, and then contact the FSDO?

I just spoke with my local CFI ( I don't live near a FSDO) and here is what he told me:

For "current" part 61 certificate holders (must have BFR in last 24 months):
  • a) Take and pass the online Part 107 test
  • b) go to iacra.faa.gov sign up for an account
  • c) After Monday August 29th, 2016 go back to iacra.faa.gov and complete the "Application" for Remote Pilot Certificate (not currently there I just checked)
  • d) Find a DPE or CFI who is endorsed for RPC (if you local CFI isn't aware tell them to research FAA Notice 8900.RPE or FAA Notice 8900.379, different names but same notice) they will confirm your information and if all checks out they submit for the endorsement and issue you a "temporary Airman Certificate". You should get the real one in the mail in a few weeks (expect a backlog initially because they will be inundated with requests for the first few months.

I hope this helps. Being on the "cutting edge" can be confusing and a serious pain in the tail fin sometimes LOL.

It's worth noting, that Designated Pilot Examiners (DPE) do that work as a line of business. Expect to pay something for the service unless you happen to be close friends with one :)

Reactions: Comte de Bleuville
It's worth noting, that Designated Pilot Examiners (DPE) do that work as a line of business. Expect to pay something for the service unless you happen to be close friends with one :)

I wouldn't expect them to do it for free. That's just part of doing business as a professional. Honestly every time I visit the local flight school it costs me at least $150 and I expect Tuesday (my appointment) to be no different.

I get paid for my services so I have no problem paying him for his. Within reason of course.

I'm just gonna call the FSDO up for an appointment after I fill out the IACRA tomorrow. Luckily I saved my FTN and login info. :D

I have

I have completed the part 107 course. If I make an appointment with the FSDO, what exactly do I have to have with me? other than a print out of my test, my log book showing my biannual review, drivers license.

You have to create an account with IACRA then you'll have to log into it, fill out the application (as a Remote Pilot), complete and submit the application, and then take your #'s (you'll get them after submission) to the appointment. When you make the appointment they will tell you what to bring and if they don't just go ahead and ask because they may ask for more than others for proof of ID etc. I'm going through my CFI who just did my BFR recently so most of my information is already in their system. You're results may vary slightly.

You have to create an account with IACRA then you'll have to log into it, fill out the application (as a Remote Pilot), complete and submit the application, and then take your #'s (you'll get them after submission) to the appointment. When you make the appointment they will tell you what to bring and if they don't just go ahead and ask because they may ask for more than others for proof of ID etc. I'm going through my CFI who just did my BFR recently so most of my information is already in their system. You're results may vary slightly.
Thank you!

Just got off the phone with the FSDO. They said inspector won't be available til next month. :( The CFI I did my BFR with went to the airlines so he's no longer around. I'll probably just find a CFI at my local flight club to the sign off. :)

Reactions: Mudcat and BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl