Painted! Flat black

That looks really good. I wonder how glow-in-the-dark paint would look? :D

Looks better than I expected. OP still needs to take the motors off and paint the inside of the motor wells.

I won't be going to THAT extreme John, but will do one pf my P1s in Coast Guard orange with white stripes on the arms. Krylon fusion, but with the bird completely disassembled.

Nicely done but would like to see more pictures. What kind of paint did you use?

I used Rust Oleum flat black, thanks! Here another pic :
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443881470.663910.jpg

Looks better than I expected. OP still needs to take the motors off and paint the inside of the motor wells.

I won't be going to THAT extreme John, but will do one pf my P1s in Coast Guard orange with white stripes on the arms. Krylon fusion, but with the bird completely disassembled.

Thanks man! To be honest I didn't want to dissemble because I'm afraid to make a mistake or something, I decided to mask tape everything and paint with a little brush and Sponge all the vents and the parts that I couldn't spray.

Reactions: cheebs
I used Rust Oleum flat black, thanks! Here another pic : View attachment 32618
Looks great. You won't be disappointed. Since painting mine a few months ago, There have been no problems. I can easily see it 1500 ft away and 400 ft up. Blue sky or clouds, it's very visible. and no overheating problems, I doubt the plastic shell transfers much heat in either direction. I also used the Rustoleum 2x flat black. It covers well.
If it's a hobby, you have to do something else when you're not editing videos - right?

Looks great. You won't be disappointed. Since painting mine a few months ago, There have been no problems. I can easily see it 1500 ft away and 400 ft up. Blue sky or clouds, it's very visible. and no overheating problems, I doubt the plastic shell transfers much heat in either direction. I also used the Rustoleum 2x flat black. It covers well.
If it's a hobby, you have to do something else when you're not editing videos - right?
Yes, it does really help with visibility. Still waiting for time to do my P3........this is p2v
vlcsnap-2015-02-16-20h22m39s70.png

i would rather paint the Bottom than the top.
this would make it easier to see when you are flying it.
Dirby, that is what I did with my Phantom 1, I painted the bottom half of the shell dayglo orange, and the top half flat grey with the dayglo orange accents. There is a photo of it somewhere on this list from back in 2013.
I ordered a spare shell, painted it first, then transferred the innards from the unpainted shell to the new one. Very easy to do. And that way you can get paint up in the vents (which looks far better than masking them) without worry of harming the electronics.

They always show the photos right after the paint job, and they look nice. Pitch those puppies around grabbing with hands and tossing in carry bags, exposing to heat and cold.

Then show me the bird's...;) nothing will last better than the stock finish.

Put some of those crome tips on the prop ends to make motorcycle rumrum sounds too. :) having fun with the last bit. ;)
I'll have to post a pic of my 2.5 year old paint job on my P1. Still looks new. That thing has been across the west and flown hundreds of hours.

Reactions: envisionabove
Has anyone tried Rit Dye on DJI parts? It's a dye available at Walgreens or CVS, usually meant for clothes, but it's popular on gun forums for dying plastic gun parts. I usually have a bottle of black on hand, but there are colors, too!

Or how about Plasti Dip? There is a guy by me that I'm thinking of having him dip my car this spring after I get my new hood. I'm looking at doing pearl white; it would be fun to have a matching drone in pearl white as well. The best thing about Plasti Dip is that it's completely removable if you don't like it. It basically peels off. The number of colors and finishes available is pretty impressive.

You can find threads about using Rit to dye the props on this forum. The shell requires a special poly dye (I forget what it is called), but Rit works very well on the props.

And yes, several people have plasti dipped their shells, or had them hydro dipped.

Dark colors stand out much better against the sky, increasing visibility.

Also the thinnest pin striping tape fits perfectly inside the indented X lines on the top of the case. I used a bright orange pin stripe to match the orange belly and arm stripes on my P1.

You can find threads about using Rit to dye the props on this forum. The shell requires a special poly dye (I forget what it is called), but Rit works very well on the props.

And yes, several people have plasti dipped their shells, or had them hydro dipped.

Good to know! I'm going to order another shell and have it dipped to match my car when I get that done in the spring. Pearl white will look nice, I think. Now I just need to find some satin black stripes (not matte).

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yes they did a beautiful job. Did they do the underside as well? What's the going price for something like that?
Yes they painted the underside as well. About 1500 out the door for the P3P with one battery. They painted the battery as well and I just grabbed some hammered spray paint and painted he rest to match. I have called them in the past to paint and they want about 250.00 for a custom paint job.

View attachment 32737 I also had my P3P done by Drones etc. painted to look carbon fiber...they did a good job IMO.
I believe that has been hydro dipped, not painted? It would take hours to hand paint a carbon fiber pattern like that, and the cost would be prohibitive. Their are some incredible carbon fiber patterns and colors available for hydro dipping.
Basically a very thin and fragile decal is floated on tepid water, the item dipped into the water in a manner that allows the decal to wrap the submerged object. It produces some pretty amazing results.
Google hydro dipping if anyone wants to learn more.

I believe that has been hydro dipped, not painted? It would take hours to hand paint a carbon fiber pattern like that, and the cost would be prohibitive. Their are some incredible carbon fiber patterns and colors available for hydro dipping.
Basically a very thin and fragile decal is floated on tepid water, the item dipped into the water in a manner that allows the decal to wrap the submerged object. It produces some pretty amazing results.
Google hydro dipping if anyone wants to learn more.
Nope it is indeed painted...it took them forever not sure how they applied the pattern but it is custom painted... Scorpion drones Hydro dips theirs...

Nope it is indeed painted...it took them forever not sure how they applied the pattern but it is custom painted... Scorpion drones Hydro dips theirs...
Wow, that is hard to believe (not implying you are lying) at that price point. Usually hydrodippers charge that or more. You got a deal!

Wow, that is hard to believe (not implying you are lying) at that price point. Usually hydrodippers charge that or more. You got a deal!
It was a good deal. They have since removed them from their website I do believe. They did a good job painting but there are some inconsistencies involved as well... Overspray on the gold professional emblem and some fading of the pattern on the round edges etc. All in all this is my third bird from them and I am happy.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka