Paging Steve Mann

Reaction score
You told us that the FAA and other agencies moved at snail's speed. You said there was no way they could get this registration up and running by the 21st. Are you astounded by it getting done so quickly? I am!! This isn't a dig at you.................... I'm really wondering what your reaction is to the speed at which it happened. It's really a first, isn't it? And not in a good way!

popcoen shake.gif

Reactions: Clampit
image.jpeg

Glad somebody was able to figure it all out, for the USA.

RedHotPoker

Are you astounded by it getting done so quickly?
I think the thought of hundreds of thousands of new drones being delivered on Christmas morning was a huge motivator for them.

Got what done so quickly?

A website that takes $5 and spits out a 10 digit number?

OK the Gov't. is slow but there's nothing to this.

Sorry Steve is busy still reading all the recent FAA documents, word by word, letter by letter in addition to trying to analyse the use of the word "never" on the registration sign-up web page.

I, for one, look forward to Mr. Mann's comments.

Reactions: tcope and snerd
Got what done so quickly?.
They pretty much made up new law. A law that says we have to register. As Steve was saying, they haven't even addressed the original task at hand, creating an overall strategy for bringing UAS's into the NAS. Steve was of the opinion, and I agreed, that making new law could not be done this quickly. I'm anticipating his view on what just happened, and how it happened so fast.

They pretty much made up new law. A law that says we have to register. As Steve was saying, they haven't even addressed the original task at hand, creating an overall strategy for bringing UAS's into the NAS. Steve was of the opinion, and I agreed, that making new law could not be done this quickly. I'm anticipating his view on what just happened, and how it happened so fast.

'...made up a new law."

I'm not sure you're correct as I don't give any credence to the legal opinions here.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
'...made up a new law."

I'm not sure you're correct as I don't give any credence to the legal opinions here.
Well, we're now "required" to register. What would you call it? I am also not a lawyer. Maybe Jeff will chime in.

OK. Here is the disambiguation of the jargon as it applies to the registration and marking regulations. All Administrative Regulations have the force of law and are authorized by enabling statutes passed by the legislature.

Is the regulation requiring hobbyist UAS operators to register a law? Yes, it is pursuant to the definition of regulations.

This specific regulation is an emergency order which allows it to be enforced immediately. The emergency here was the influx of a large number of new UAS predicted to be unleashed into the NAS.

The other questions which are raised in all the other threads require additional comments.

For instance, isn't the FAA prohibited by statute from attempting to regulate model aircraft? These are really more difficult to answer and the legal analysis would be pages long and bore everyone except UAS lawyers, model aircraft manufacturers, and some politicians' interns (cause we know the politicians don't read this stuff).

Reactions: snerd
Soooo...

Was it [UAS registration] "made-up"?

This is my hang-up!

Soooo...

Was it [UAS registration] "made-up"?

This is my hang-up!
Yes it is as "made up" as any statute or regulation.

Got what done so quickly?

A website that takes $5 and spits out a 10 digit number?

OK the Gov't. is slow but there's nothing to this.
Nothing = A political and bureaucratic accomplishment. How does a number and credit card verification make anything safer?

I think Steve's objection was that there never was any "emergency". I tended to agree with him. But, it's done now. Like it or not, you should go ahead and register. Or not. :cool:

Reactions: johnp44
I think Steve's objection was that there never was any "emergency". I tended to agree with him. But, it's done now. Like it or not, you should go ahead and register. Or not. :cool:
Absolutely correct, that was, among other things, Steve's objection. I also tend to agree that an emergency order is historically related to actual evidence of past or immediate danger AND is reasonably drafted to respond to that danger. Registration does not seem to reasonably respond to that danger. For better or worse, the order stands.

Incrementalism................ little-by-little, step-by-step. That's the process for our "caring" government to run literally "everything" in our lives. Most here don't get it when some speak up against it. I don't get it that they're willing to take it up the wazoo every time .gov says jump, and they ask how high?!

I have tried to register 7 times in last couple of days. The site will not work. Very frustrating. And they don't answer the email I sent for help either. Typical

I have tried to register 7 times in last couple of days. The site will not work. Very frustrating. And they don't answer the email I sent for help either. Typical
Wrong thread. Try posting in either the Help forum or the Pro/Adv forum. You're likely to get more help there than in this thread about the particulars of the new requirement.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl