P4P Yaw Motor

Reaction score
I crashed my P4P this weekend while filming my son's hs graduation party football game. Everything was going awesome and then I decided to fly around the goal post. My depth perception was off and actually flew right into it. Broke a prop. I replaced the prop and the drone flys great. But the camera twitches from right to left to right to left... Noticed the yaw arm on the gimble was bent. Ordered a new one. Last night I took it all apart and got to the very last screw that holds the yaw motor to the yaw arm and rounded out the Phillips head. So the mechanical genius that I am, I headed to the garage and drilled the head of the screw. Nice sharp metal drill bit...very expensive metal drill bit. Went through the screw head like butter...and then into the yaw motor the screw was attached to. Now the yaw motor is shot.

OK...so you're still with me. Long story short...I cannot for the life of me locate a yaw motor for sale. I need the new style for the Phantom 4 Pro. Seems like none of the P4 yaw motors are available anywhere. All sources say out of stock. If anyone has a drone parts donor laying around I would gladly buy you a burger on Tuesday...wait...today is Tuesday.

Or any input on a parts source I have not found through google yet.

Thanks

Nate

I have a follow up question. 53 views and no response tells me my search skills are not all that bad. I've continued to look for a P4P yaw motor with no luck at all. I contacted DJI support to see if they have ideas and they tell me to send the aircraft to them for repairs. Obviously they are more interested in bolstering up their own repair business, which I get because I too am a business owner. I've reached out to some independent repair shops. No avail.

So why the shortage of Yaw motors for the P4P as well as the new style for the P4? Are that many of them going bad there just aren't any to go around? There seems to be a boutique business build up around CNC parts to replace the gimbal arms. Must be a lot of folks out there crashing their drones.

Or is it just DJI or DJI Suppliers controlling the market by only producing enough motors to keep up with building new aircraft?

To solve my problem I did two things. One...I bought the entire camera and gimbal assembly from a DJI support store in Canada. It shipped yesterday so hope to have that in my hands early next week. But just to experiment I decided to buy the old style yaw motor for the P4. I am going to remove the windings and insert them into the housing from my P4P yaw motor and see if it functions correctly. If it does I will have a spare Gimbal/Camera assembly in case I crash again...which is highly likely.

Has there been any updates on whether or not the new version of the P4 yaw motor will work with the P4P? Or where the P4P yaw motors are available?

The saga continues but in a different direction.

Updates;
1. I ordered and installed a new gimbal/camera I found from a Canadian dealer. The drone works great.

2. I order the new style P4 yaw motor. When I disassembled to original P4P yaw motor I found that the doughnut shaped magnet had broken in three places. That may have happened when I originally drilled out the stripped screw. At any rate I found the P4P yaw motor case to be useless without that magnet so I scrapped the whole idea of swapping the windings from the P4P and new style P4 yaw motors. I am planning to send that new style P4 yaw motor to another user on this site Once I complete the rebuild of my old gimbal/camera base.

3. Finally located a P4P yaw motor from over seas. It was listed on eBay as "New" but when it arrived it was clearly "Used" with scratches and loctite in the threads. Nonetheless, I'm going to try installing that Yaw motor and see if the camera/gimbal works. If not, I'll try swapping the New Style P4 motor windings with this new (used) P4P yaw motor.

4. I still need to replace the one screw that I had to drill out of the original Yaw Motor. Have not had a chance to try finding it at the local Fastener store.

So...no answers. LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart