P4P yaw arm replacement

Reaction score
has anybody replaced the yaw arm on a P4P? I can't get the screws holding the yaw/roll motors to the yaw arm out. I've snapped off a couple philipps bits and stripped out the heads of most of the screws. anybody having this much trouble? one screw came out no problem but the others refuse to budge.

If you don’t have drivers with a 100% perfect fit, you’re going to strip those screws. They’re simply too soft. Once you strip them and the screws are recessed, you’re pretty much SOL

I've got a repair tool kit specifically for small electronics and I'm definitely getting a good fit hence the broken driver tips. it's like the screws have been epoxied in or something.

any suggestions on getting them out? I'm getting to the point where I'm going to cut off the bits of the yaw arm and grab the heads of the screws with some pliers

I ran into the same problem years ago. I had to very carefully drill the heads off and once the shell
was apart- use needle nose pliers to remove the stub. The screws are very soft material and you
have to have the right size phillips to even try.

I've got a repair tool kit specifically for small electronics and I'm definitely getting a good fit hence the broken driver tips. it's like the screws have been epoxied in or something.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they're glued in, because I had the same issue. You can try spraying some penetrating spray in the screw holes and hope it helps break free the adhesive, or use a flame to heat the screws up in order to break down the adhesive. If that doesn't work, you'll have to hack apart the top of the yaw arm until you can grab the screws. You cannot drill the heads off of the screws, because the way they sit in the arm means that by the time you drill enough material to separate the motor from the yaw arm, you won't have enough of a screw left to grab with pliers. I tried it and it resulted in failure, which meant I needed to buy a new motor and added $40 to my repair cost.

I'll try hitting it with some isopropyl alcohol and heating the screws with a soldering iron.

Looks like a soldering iron is the way to go. I let my soldering iron heat for about 15 minutes then I held it on the head of each screw for about 30 seconds. The aluminum around the screw got pretty hot too so i think thermal expansion was helping a bit here. It definitely still took some elbow grease but I got the screws out and recovered the roll motor. I think my yaw motor is toast because i drilled the head off a screw that was too stripped and now i cant get it out.

Looks like a soldering iron is the way to go. I let my soldering iron heat for about 15 minutes then I held it on the head of each screw for about 30 seconds. The aluminum around the screw got pretty hot too so i think thermal expansion was helping a bit here. It definitely still took some elbow grease but I got the screws out and recovered the roll motor. I think my yaw motor is toast because i drilled the head off a screw that was too stripped and now i cant get it out.

Search for yaw arm replacement, or look under threads I've started, and you will find my post on yaw arm replacement. It also covers how to deal with yaw motor replacement, as you will need to remove the head of the motor from the base and swap it onto the new motor you purchase. Replacement motors can be found on Amazon and eBay, though the eBay ones are usually motors pulled off of a drone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18