P4P Still settings.

Then it really only make a difference for Video.
Stills won't have any Rolling shutter issues. Right? Or am I missing something?
After watching the video above though I will make sure the Mechanical Shutter is ON for video from now though....
I think you have no option for video. and the mechanical shutter is only for stills.
Have you ever seen pictures of a Phantom with the props looking like boomerangs?
That's rolling shutter with a moving subject.
For stills engage mechanical shutter and it's hard to go wrong.
When you swap to video, the mechanical shutter won't be used.

Reactions: loonie01
I think you have no option for video. and the mechanical shutter is only for stills.
Have you ever seen pictures of a Phantom with the props looking like boomerangs?
That's rolling shutter with a moving subject.
For stills engage mechanical shutter and it's hard to go wrong.
When you swap to video, the mechanical shutter won't be used.
Ok. It’s the opposite of what I thought.
All right. Testing is needed.
Thanks!

Ok. It’s the opposite of what I thought.
Here are some classic examples of a rolling shutter photo with moving subject:
DJI-Phantom-4-Pro-first-flight-DR-flying-back-1200x675.jpg

d97d1664fc9cc0d29927d743bc258b1f_preview_featured.JPG

drone against the moon.jpg

The mechanical shutter is for stills as I understand it as Video FPS are much faster than a mechanic shutter can reach. As for Rolling shutter, I have yet to see much of it in Phantom shots, and in theory the ES should have less vibration. I have seen pictures of the focal shutter on the P4 and it's pretty impressive, both in size and construction. I would just shoot with both and see if for your work if you are seeing much of difference. The mechanical shutter to me is not as important as the full control of the aperture. That is huge for stills and Video both, not being locked wide open.

Paul Caldwell

I'd be inclined to agree that DJI jpg's are decent enough, but I prefere to get my jpg's from RAW images, so I can control the quality, even if it means I gotta wait longer between shots.

I would agree that DJI jpg's are not that bad, even when viewed on my 4K TV. And I do understand that RAW definitely has a place but, for most of what I do, jpeg are sufficient most of the time. When I first got into digital photography, conventional wisdom at the time was to shoot everthing in RAW, or at least shoot JPEG & RAW, so I shot everything in JPEG & RAW. Truth be told, with a really good camera, the jpg's were downright impressive. With the amount of shooting and traveling that I did at the time, I never had much time to dedicate to tinkering with RAW, so most of those RAW files never saw the light of day, so to speak. I eventually switched to shooting only jpg except if I felt the need for RAW files. Just my two cents.

sammackay, you can easily find excellent video tutorials that explain why we use ND filters, and what looks are achieved using different frame rates, shutter speeds, and ISO. Definitely ND's are presently only used for a few specific kinds of stills. Back in the day, film speed was limited to the product you were exposing: ND filters were useful for slowing it down. But you couldn't speed it up!

For maximum lens acuity, rule of thumb has always been to shoot two stops down from a wide open aperture (you can do your own testing on each of your lenses, if you are into that). I'm not aware of any testing with DJI lenses, but it must be out there somewhere. I have seen impressive tests that show a DSLR on a tripod at 1/250 sec is sharper than a hand-held version. So with my P4A I like to shoot stills at f8, as fast as I can on tripod mode. I have made excellent 24" wide prints at ISO 400.

This image is 1/4 sec @f5.6, ISO 200, Tripod Mode with the P4A.
2553-4.jpg

For those who shared photos, great stuff, every one of them, including Ripper's dark image. Sharp, great POV and really interesting. I'd be proud to have taken any of them. Good job, friends! Below is one of my own to show and tell, Mt. Shasta from Lake Siskiyou, Northern California.

View attachment 99910
MtManDavey! Where are you located specifically? I am in Redding, and I would love to have a "drone friend." Let me know if you are interested in meeting up at some point? I see that you say you "teach" a photography class. Is that for drones or carrying cameras? Where do you teach? ...as I don't think it is at Shasta College as I took photography there with Jenn D.

Let me know your thoughts!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart