P4P Filters - DJI vs PolarPro

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the DJI filters vs the PolarPro? PolarPro has the polarized ND filters, but not sure I need that. PolarPro is a few dollars more, but I'd rather purchase on the side of quality. Also wondering if the Snake River P3 series graduated ND filters will fit over the P4 lens. Your input is greatly appreciated.

No P4P filters have been released yet.

No P4P filters have been released yet.
There's the rub as they say. I guess I'll be a tester and order the PolarPros since I used them happily on the P3Ps. Update after delivery.

I have a few of the new polarpro p4 pro filters. Just like the other stuff they make they're fantastic. They are the same glass as the cinema series ones you would use on your p4 or p3 pro. The DJI ones are an afterthought on their part. Even DJI employees use Polarpro glass.

+1 on the PolarPro ND's

What about graduated ND filters for the P4P? I contacted PolarPro a couple weeks ago and they said they had no plans at the time for graduated filters. All I can find are these, has anybody used them?
PHANTOM 4 PRO GRAD KIT - DJI Filters | GoPro Filters | DJI Accessories | GoPro Accessories
I have that set for my P4...only one I use is the neutral...blue and orange are a bit gaudy for my taste...
I have been asking PolarPro about a full set of neutrals (.3-.6-.9) for the P4pro without much positive response...maybe if enough of us showed interest they'd step up...try this guy:

Daniel M. Morris | Director of Operations | PolarPro
Dan Morris <[email protected]>

Here's one I did with the neutral split from the P4 kit:
20161106_sea-pano-3.jpg

Here's one I did with the neutral split from the P4 kit:
View attachment 73299
The dynamic range of the p4p is vastly improved compared to the p4. For a relatively low-contrast shot such as this, there is no need for a grad filter - you can easily do this in post with much more control and flexibility. For stills, you can even for high-contrast scenes get away with bracketing (flexible and easy), and that leaves film of the most contrasty scenes which can benefit from a grad-filter.

For most scenarios, it is simply a inconvenience compared to post.

The dynamic range of the p4p is vastly improved compared to the p4. For a relatively low-contrast shot such as this, there is no need for a grad filter - you can easily do this in post with much more control and flexibility. For stills, you can even for high-contrast scenes get away with bracketing (flexible and easy), and that leaves film of the most contrasty scenes which can benefit from a grad-filter.

true for some scenes but if the information isn't there no amount of post will help...I find it easier for me to gain that extra stop or two at the top end with splits ensuring that my highlights are in range while not ignoring the shadow / low end information...even when bracketing...To me the flawed sensor software in the P4pro that clips that "vastly improved" range has made the need for these even moreso...whether the new software fixes that dynamic range issue remains to be seen...I'd love to be able to use that entire 12 stops they tout...I know your initial tests are encouraging but...

btw: I also use the splits in the opposite direction with my starlapse/timelapse shots that include lit areas...filtering the lower third/half manmade lights back a few stops so the stars can pop...so overall I guess I find them less of an inconvenience and more of a benefit... ;-)

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
true for some scenes but if the information isn't there no amount of post will help...I find it easier for me to gain that extra stop or two at the top end with splits ensuring that my highlights are in range while not ignoring the shadow / low end information...even when bracketing...To me the flawed sensor software in the P4pro that clips that "vastly improved" range has made the need for these even moreso...whether the new software fixes that dynamic range issue remains to be seen...I'd love to be able to use that entire 12 stops they tout...I know your initial tests are encouraging but...

btw: I also use the splits in the opposite direction with my starlapse/timelapse shots that include lit areas...filtering the lower third/half manmade lights back a few stops so the stars can pop...so overall I guess I find them less of an inconvenience and more of a benefit... ;-)
The rule-of-thumb is never use a filter unless you know exactly why, and it seems you have proved you know why :)

Reactions: ricphoto
You can accomplish 99% of what those grads do in post with stills.
While this is accurate for someone who is a post grading ninja, some of us take a more minimalistic view of post editing... theory being capture a terrific shot, or clear video off the sensor and post becomes clipping and arranging and light grading when an issue is noticed. To each his own skills.

I just ordered and recieved a set of PolarPro cinematic 16/32/64 NDs because my 4 and 8 don't quite get the job done in my brightest conditions....also I want to try and capture long exposure shots in othere lighting conditions than night time. I have P4 and am amazed every time I fly how good of shots I can get. She regularly exceeds my expectations which are generally pretty high when it comes to technology.

Ron Davis
#rotorsnaps
rotorsnaps.com
DJI Phantom 4 +Samsung Tab A7
Landing Gear Extensions
DJI Snapin Prop Guards
Bower ND4 ND8
PolarPro ND16 ND32 ND64
DJI Osmo Mobile +S7 Edge

While this is accurate for someone who is a post grading ninja, some of us take a more minimalistic view of post editing... theory being capture a terrific shot, or clear video off the sensor and post becomes clipping and arranging and light grading when an issue is noticed. To each his own skills.

I just ordered and recieved a set of PolarPro cinematic 16/32/64 NDs because my 4 and 8 don't quite get the job done in my brightest conditions....also I want to try and capture long exposure shots in othere lighting conditions than night time. I have P4 and am amazed every time I fly how good of shots I can get. She regularly exceeds my expectations which are generally pretty high when it comes to technology.

Hi Ron, just to avoid potential confusion, I would like to mention that we are (as of the last posts) discussing graduated nd filters, not regular nd filters. Regular nd filters certainly have their use, regardless of the dynamic range of the sensor.

Reactions: Falcon900
blue and orange are a bit gaudy for my taste...
I think I would feel the same. I'm mainly interested in the ND grads.
For stills, you can even for high-contrast scenes get away with bracketing (flexible and easy), and that leaves film of the most contrasty scenes which can benefit from a grad-filter.

It might be an inconvenience but if I can screw on a filter and have less work in post I'd like to go that route. Bracketing may work but there's a lot of post processing (assuming you mean HDR/LDR), and the P4P takes 5 seconds to record a raw image, at least that's the shortest time I can select in timed mode, I assume bracketing would be the same (I'm using a SanDisk Extreme 64GB - would the Extreme Pro be much faster in the P4P?). As stable as it is the quad is going to move some.

I agree that video is where the grad filter may work better. I'll have to see, this is my first flying camera so it's all still an experiment, trying to learn Resolve, etc.

flawed sensor software in the P4pro
Does that affect raw stills as well as video? Not good news either way...

Daniel M. Morris | Director of Operations | PolarPro
Dan Morris <[email protected]>
Yes, this is the same guy that replied to me saying they didn't have plans for the grad filters on the P4P. That was on the 5th of this month (January).
I would like to mention that we are (as of the last posts) discussing graduated nd filters, not regular nd filters.
Sorry if I hijacked this thread but yes, I'm talking about graduated filters.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
I think I would feel the same. I'm mainly interested in the ND grads.

Does that affect raw stills as well as video? Not good news either way...

Hi, this comprehensive test shows that the dynamic is actually very good, and well beyond what was available in this pricerange before.

Further, the latest firmware-upgrade includes a working dlog profile for video, which should give us great flexibility during postprocessing.

Reactions: RamFade
Thanks all for your replies especially Tomas for your DR video. Snake River Prototyping makes a graduated 16-8 ND filter, but it's a pretty heavy slip-over. Maybe they'll step up with one for the P4P.

Snake River Prototyping makes a graduated 16-8 ND filter, but it's a pretty heavy slip-over.
I have that filter and the weight isn't an issue for me. It's is tough to slide on/off though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94