P4P camera

Reaction score
So I have a return label to send back my p4p. Here is what is happening. On a sunny day while flying around, no video recording, I notice the screen flickering. The iso was set at 1600. I don't know why I had it there but it was. While flickering I noticed the shutter was jumping all over the place. The only way it stopped was either hitting the record button or turning the iso down. Is this normal or should I just go ahead and send it in.

So I have a return label to send back my p4p. Here is what is happening. On a sunny day while flying around, no video recording, I notice the screen flickering. The iso was set at 1600. I don't know why I had it there but it was. While flickering I noticed the shutter was jumping all over the place. The only way it stopped was either hitting the record button or turning the iso down. Is this normal or should I just go ahead and send it in.
You don't need to have the ISO set so high in daylight.
That may have been the problem.
Set it to 100 or 200 and see what that does.

I'm not sure if this works but here is a link to the video of what it was doing

Your link did not work. And you should not have to set it to Auto btw. So your saying the screen was just flickering. Like flickering like a signal flicker or a bunch of over exposure lines on your screen from the ISO being set so high?

What aperture were you shooting at? With the ISO at 1600 in bright conditions outdoors the shutter speed for correct exposure could easily be 1/12800s at f5.6 (you may know from the specs the P4P has a max electronic shutter speed of 1/8000s). It's possible that you have simply found a glitch in the camera firmware, the developers and beta testers may not have envisaged a user may try and shoot with these settings.

As others have suggested a lower ISO is preferable when the available light allows for it and you demonstrated yourself lowering the ISO fixed the issue.

It was fading in and out very quickly. I call it flickering. I wasn't recording anything just flying it around. The shutter would change from 100 to 1000 to 3000 to 4000 etc. And jump all around like that. It stops when I lower the iso. I just didn't know if that's normal or if there was something wrong with it and I should send it back.
Thanks everyone for the help

Yea I guess I shouldn't buy the p4p because I don't know photography yet. I mean I should of bought a lessor unit to learn on. Smh

Reactions: AyeYo
Yea I guess I shouldn't buy the p4p because I don't know photography yet. I mean I should of bought a lessor unit to learn on. Smh
Not at all.
The P4 pro is an excellent drone for experienced flyers and beginners to learn on.
And if you aren't an expert photographer, that doesn't mean you can't learn.
Just set the camera to auto and shoot jpg and it will deliver good results most of the time while you gradually pick things up.

With such a high ISO, you typically will have a high shutter speed. In video, you'll pick up prop flicker (prop chopping light coming down) and any slight motor/prop vibration managing to get down to the camera. The vibration, prop light breakup and shutter speeds can come close in frequency that you get a beat in the form of pulsing video or lines in the video. The lines I think is what people tend to call the jello effect.
Lower ISO will reduce shutter speed and so reduce this sidebeat noise.
For stills you generally do want higher shutter speeds. You may catch a still of the props as if they weren't moving.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: AIRSPACE
With such a high ISO, you typically will have a high shutter speed. In video, you'll pick up prop flicker (prop chopping light coming down) and any slight motor/prop vibration managing to get down to the camera. The vibration, prop light breakup and shutter speeds can come close in frequency that you get a beat in the form of pulsing video or lines in the video. The lines I think is what people tend to call the jello effect.
Lower ISO will reduce shutter speed and so reduce this sidebeat noise.
For stills you generally do want higher shutter speeds. You may catch a still of the props as if they weren't moving.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Physical vibration coupled with the non global shutter (scanning) will produce a jello distortion effect in some circumstances (at higher shutter speeds).

Prop shadows wont be removed by reducing shutter speed.

Well this place is called phantom pilots not phantom photography

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

As I said I'm not trying to be nasty...
In my opinion the P4P is for pilots that have some experience in photography.
This is why DJI gave us the option to adjust ISO/APERTURE and SHUTTER SPEED.
In other words you can't buy the Canon 5D Mark IV and shoot in auto mode.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Aramis
ISO=film speed(400nite100day)Aperture=depth of field(f1.4standard/day/nite,f8 less depth more close focused)Shutter Speed(slower shutter more data(light etc. let in,faster less movement blur, 1/200 can stop A hummingbirds wings or helicopter wings). These 3 settings ISO,Aperture(like your eye iris,more light it closes,less it opens)and shutter speed, all these effect how much light gets in, we see objects because light is being reflected off them, except the Sun which is a light source. Experiment on manual at home and adjust each individually and see they darken and lighten image. Or just set to auto untill you you want to play with these 3 to perfect. I leave on auto, and look at my 4k videos to see maybe I can make better. The Human eye:22mm,576MP,ISO1-800,600,000 bits per second,static dynamic range16mm&24mm,6 1/2 f-stops)(4seconds),Focal Length 3.2mm,Aperture f2.1-f8.3.

Regards

You can adjust that stuff on your cell phone too, doesn't mean it's only for professional photographers.

I do think people should watch some photography basics videos on youtube before flying though.

Regards

You ARE being nasty, and inaccurate. You can certainly shoot auto mode with a 5D Mark IV. Otherwise why would it have the "Scene Intelligent Auto" setting? This thread was a request for helpful information, which you have certainly not provided.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72