P4 to P4P - Your thoughts?

Reaction score
Looking for the opinion of those that have upgraded from the P4 to the P4P.
Particularly after your opinion and thoughts on the upgrade from the P4P..
Are stills and video's noticeably improved?
Coming from a P3 Advance, then P4, I have never been complexly satisfied with the quality of the 12mp stills.
I predominately take stills, and have ordered a P4P solely due to the new 20mp stills and 1" sensor.

Now while I wait for my P4P to arrive, I am after the thoughts of those that have done a similar upgrade (P4 to P4P) and if they have seen a noticeable difference?
Are you happy with the upgrade, or are you disappointed/re thinking the upgrade?

I am not after the feedback of other issues i.e range & calibration problems (hopefully these are bugs that will be sort out quickly through a FM update or app update.)

Cheers!

Looking for the opinion of those that have upgraded from the P4 to the P4P.
Particularly after your opinion and thoughts on the upgrade from the P4P..
Are stills and video's noticeably improved?
Coming from a P3 Advance, then P4, I have never been complexly satisfied with the quality of the 12mp stills.
I predominately take stills, and have ordered a P4P solely due to the new 20mp stills and 1" sensor.
I'm also moving from the P3 Advanced for stills and have seen enough early results to be confident that it's going to be as good as the specs indicate.
DJI have virtually strapped a Sony RX100 onto a Phantom and created a great aerial photography drone.
It's a huge leap forward to be able to carry a real camera in the air.

Reactions: Bigdz and ringolong
I went from a P4 to the P4P. Better in a every way so far in my experience. The only downside is the 60FPS 4k vids won't play on my iPad pro. The stills are amazing, being able to crop a bit more is pretty fantastic.

This is the type of feedback I wanted to hear!
So the stills are far superior then the P4? How do you find the battery life over the P4?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: maseman88 and Kman
Finally received my P4P..I had the P4, sold it to upgrade to the P4P sole due to the camera.
After having a short couple of flys, I am not sure that I am seeing a massive difference between the P4 and P4P stills. Here is a photo that I took this afternoon, overcast so not greatest conditions, and photo is of nothing special, just seeing what this camera can do.
Looking into the distance, seems to loose quite a bit of detail, maybe I am doing something incorrectly? - Very possible
Photo is fully focused, and had a quick play around in post..
What are your thoughts?

Dropbox - DJI_0354.2.DNG

I went from a P4 to the P4P. Better in a every way so far in my experience. The only downside is the 60FPS 4k vids won't play on my iPad pro. The stills are amazing, being able to crop a bit more is pretty fantastic.
They will play in iMovie, I edit them all the time, on my iPad Pro:)

Reactions: slothead
Sweet, I'll give it a shot thanks!
No dice, you are probably using h.264. Apple has lost their touch imo. Going with a Surface next time around for sure, Windows 10 supports h.265 natively.

Finally received my P4P..I had the P4, sold it to upgrade to the P4P sole due to the camera.
After having a short couple of flys, I am not sure that I am seeing a massive difference between the P4 and P4P stills. Here is a photo that I took this afternoon, overcast so not greatest conditions, and photo is of nothing special, just seeing what this camera can do.
Looking into the distance, seems to loose quite a bit of detail, maybe I am doing something incorrectly? - Very possible
What are your thoughts?

Dropbox - DJI_0354.2.DNG
Well to start, it's not in focus. If I take the image and sharpen it manually in PS it improves the image quality. Did you do auto for all settings? The P4P camera really is not a point and shoot like the P4 is, and you have to really use the settings correctly to get incredible images.

What are your thoughts?

Dropbox - DJI_0354.2.DNG

The horizon seems a bit tilted to the right, maybe it is just me. Again this is just me, I do not see a huge difference between my P4 or my Mavic.
The camera in the Mavic is not a point and shoot like my old P3P , you have to focus the image first.

What are your thoughts?

Dropbox - DJI_0354.2.DNG

Not a big difference and by no means is it a duplicate of the Sony RX100. That person has no concept of the fact that a sensor is just one part of the final image. This isn't a back lit sensor. The differences are small. The video improvements are slight at best. No greater range than the P4 as that was marketing hype. Side sensors are useless in P mode, and the 100mbs trans. rate is way too small for 4k 60fps. Stills are a bit better though. The H.365 has banding issues and in my opinion the P4 is 90% of what the P4P is. My guess is that the P5 will be a bigger difference. I'm disappointed that the range is the same as the P4 and the battery is at best 24-25 min. A far cry from 30 min. You can get a factory refurb P4 for 799.00 now and its a great deal as you can save 600.00 over the P4P.

Reactions: gppms
Well to start, it's not in focus. If I take the image and sharpen it manually in PS it improves the image quality. Did you do auto for all settings? The P4P camera really is not a point and shoot like the P4 is, and you have to really use the settings correctly to get incredible images.

The image was focus by tapping the centre of the screen using AF, should I be using MF?
Settings were in manual mode -2 -2 -2, iso100, auto white balance. What should o be changing to ensure that I am getting better quality stills?

The image was focus by tapping the centre of the screen using AF, should I be using MF?
Settings were in manual mode -2 -2 -2, iso100, auto white balance. What should o be changing to ensure that I am getting better quality stills?

What if you try focusing on the objects that are closer such as the cars, fence, etc? Can you get a few shots with different focus areas? Also, personally I'd go -1,0,0. Only adjust the sharpness, the other two tend to degrade quality according to the testing done by greater minds than I on this forum. You could also try manual focus, but the AF might be because you're focusing on the wrong thing?

I'm also moving from the P3 Advanced for stills and have seen enough early results to be confident that it's going to be as good as the specs indicate.
DJI have virtually strapped a Sony RX100 onto a Phantom and created a great aerial photography drone.
It's a huge leap forward to be able to carry a real camera in the air.

I'm curios as to what sensor it is in the P4P. I've seen people mention the RX100 in connection with the P4P several times. If it is the same sensor, then I wonder which version of the RX100 it is. If I look, for example, at the video specs, the first RX100 that offered 4k video was the RX100 IV. So this would be much more modern (2015) than the first RX100 (2012). Is it a BSI sensor? Some mixed opinions on this. If it is the same as the RX100 IV then it should be.

But this could be totally wrong. Anyway, it (in combination with the lens) does seem very capable from my initial samples.

Malcolm

What if you try focusing on the objects that are closer such as the cars, fence, etc? Can you get a few shots with different focus areas? Also, personally I'd go -1,0,0. Only adjust the sharpness, the other two tend to degrade quality according to the testing done by greater minds than I on this forum. You could also try manual focus, but the AF might be because you're focusing on the wrong thing?

Will try -1 0 0 and focusing on closer objects when the weather fines up a little. I read that focusing in the middle of the screen was the best idea (which is what I did on this particular still). Won't focusing on close objects make the objects in the distance blurry? So much to learn coming from the more point and shoot P4..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3