P4 Pilot: Why do I need a P4P?

Reaction score
I currently fly a P4. So what's the big deal with the P4P? What's the biggest advantage? Is it the increase in dynamic range with the big sensor? Is the built-in monitor in the P4P+ worth considering? How about software enhancements? Just not sure if I should ditch my P4 for the P4P at this point.

Hoping for guidance from objective P4P pilots. Thanks in advance...

I see two main factors to go in favor of P4P from P4:

1. Urge to have the latest
2. Reason to have a better camera

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I currently fly a P4. So what's the big deal with the P4P? What's the biggest advantage? Is it the increase in dynamic range with the big sensor? Is the built-in monitor in the P4P+ worth considering? How about software enhancements? Just not sure if I should ditch my P4 for the P4P at this point.

Hoping for guidance from objective P4P pilots. Thanks in advance...
The upgrade in camera is really the only reason I would upgrade from the 4 to the Pro. I had 2 P4's and hated to sell them tbo. But I am a pro photog and it's just all about the camera for me. The dynamic range with low noise at Higher ISO's is killer! Plus the 4K @ 60fps is way cool too! While the object Avoidance in back could possibly come in handy in a couple situations, that is the least of my concerns tbo! One more thing, the added 10mph speed increase is a pretty awesome upgrade too. Helps in filming speed at slightly higher altitudes.

I currently fly a P4. So what's the big deal with the P4P? What's the biggest advantage? Is it the increase in dynamic range with the big sensor?
It's all about the camera for most buyers and the other frills are just nice to have.
If you are doing serious photography, the huge improvement in the camera makes it a no-brainer.
But if you aren't pushing photography to the limit, the P4 is still a fine product and more than enough for many users.

Kristina, the P4 is old news since it doesn't have gesture control to follow you or to take selfies. You are missing out BIGTIME!

I'm not seeing the distance claimed, and I'm hearing a lot of rumblings on the camera not being WAY better than the P4. However, I am seeing some pretty good low light video and images so that is a big plus.

Since I've only done one video after about 3,000,000' of flight, the camera is mainly used for FPV instead of video and imaging. Video and image quality is important to me, but it isn't enough for that to be the only reason to upgrade.

The P4P would be neato to have, but I wouldn't realize the upgrade since I like distance flying and Litchi waypoint missions. I'm not sure but it may even not be the best bird for Litchi waypoint missions when you lose contact and are unable to focus. I keep teetering but if I had to replace my P4 before the P5 is released, I would probably go Mavic just for its portability.

I'm not seeing the distance claimed, and I'm hearing a lot of rumblings on the camera not being WAY better than the P4.
I don't know where you are picking up rumblings about the camera.
The only thing I'm hearing a lot of is how much better the camera is.
It's the same sensor as is in the Sony RX100 - and that's 4x the size of the sensor in the P4
And it has 12 stops of dynamic range so you can get shadow detail and highlights that aren't burnt out.
i-xBHHp2n-L.jpg

Kristina, the P4 is old news since it doesn't have gesture control to follow you or to take selfies. You are missing out BIGTIME!

I'm not seeing the distance claimed, and I'm hearing a lot of rumblings on the camera not being WAY better than the P4. However, I am seeing some pretty good low light video and images so that is a big plus.

Since I've only done one video after about 3,000,000' of flight, the camera is mainly used for FPV instead of video and imaging. Video and image quality is important to me, but it isn't enough for that to be the only reason to upgrade.

The P4P would be neato to have, but I wouldn't realize the upgrade since I like distance flying and Litchi waypoint missions. I'm not sure but it may even not be the best bird for Litchi waypoint missions when you lose contact and are unable to focus. I keep teetering but if I had to replace my P4 before the P5 is released, I would probably go Mavic just for its portability.
I think the camera is unfreaking real better than the P4! I'm talking stills mainly but video some as well. If you are mainly interested in long flights, I'm not sure why you aren't happy with a good P3 as they will prob get you as good if not better range than your P4.

I don't know where you are picking up rumblings about the camera.
The only thing I'm hearing a lot of is how much better the camera is.
It's the same sensor as is in the Sony RX100 - and that's 4x the size of the sensor in the P4
And it has 12 stops of dynamic range so you can get shadow detail and highlights that aren't burnt out.
i-xBHHp2n-L.jpg
Picking them up here in this forum and on youtube. By no means, am I saying that the P4P camera is crappe. I'm just saying that for many, the upgrade from a P4 to a P4P just for the better camera may not be the end all. From what I have seen, I wouldn't upgrade just for personal use video and images, but I probably would if I used it professionally. I would love the low light capability, but again, it isn't enough for me to upgrade just for that. I'm putting my hope in the P5, which may have the same camera after all, but it has to fulfill my other desires before I pull the trigger in purchasing one.

If I were shopping at this point in time for a prosumer drone for general personal use and I only knew of drones by their specs, the P4P would be a no-brainer. It blows away every other prosumer drone at or near its price point. Its specs pretty much blow its closest competitor, the P4, out of the water mostly due to its better camera.

If I were shopping at this point in time for a prosumer drone for general personal use and I already have a P4, which is the closest competitor to the P4P - the best prosumer drone on the market at or near its price point, I'd wait for the P5 in a few months, hoping it has a more robust airframe and a possible portable design.

If I were shopping at this point in time for a prosumer drone for general personal use because my current P4 is no longer, I'd purchase a Mavic Pro or a P4 ASAP because drone flying is my main hobby at this time. I'd probably get a P5 later next year after paying off the P4 or Mavic Pro.

Picking them up here in this forum and on youtube. By no means, am I saying that the P4P camera is crappe. I'm just saying that for many, the upgrade from a P4 to a P4P just for the better camera may not be the end all. From what I have seen, I wouldn't upgrade just for personal use video and images, but I probably would if I used it professionally. I would love the low light capability, but again, it isn't enough for me to upgrade just for that.
Don't judge quality from YouTube footage. With these enormous and crappy compression that YouTube have, you can't see much difference. In YT you see less than 12Mbps (and H264 compression).

Here you have 100Mbps in H265 plus 1 inch sensor, selectable aperture and focus capability. Compare two REAL footages, real files straight from P4 and P4P. Compare in direct sunlight (not only in night), and if the operator can handle all the video in manual mode and he knows what they are doing, you will see the HUGE difference between both drones.

Really, it's a HUGE difference, even more if you see both footages on a 4K TV.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ftttu

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart