Upgraded from Phantom 4 to P4P+ what's a smart way to download footage/photos to phone?

Reaction score
Good morning from Beijing - this is my first post to this forum!

I recently upgraded from the P4 to the P4P Pro+ after I had sold it. So far, I love it! The ability to get set up and fly so quickly is brilliant. I also love the dynamic range of the new sensor...

Here's some footage with the new Phantom that I took during our Christmas holiday to Guam (it also has some footage from 5DM2 and GoPro 4):

OK, so here's the question: what I did like about having the remote connected to my phone/iPad in the past, was the ability to get footage and original size pics from it quickly.

What's the smartest way to do this with the P4P+? I mean, instead of eventually getting it from the microSD card using a computer.

Thanks a million + greetings from the city with one of the largest no-fly zones :(
Tom

What's the smartest way to do this with the P4P+? I mean, instead of eventually getting it from the microSD card using a computer.
The smartest, fastest and simplest way is to pull the SD card, put it in an adapter and copy to your computer.
Anything with the cable is slow and complicated.

Sorry .. I don't have the + so I'd have to look in the manual.
But any method using a cable is still going to be slower and more complicated than what I suggested.

Your answer got me thinking and Googling... and I found this little device, an iOS (Lightning connector) microSD card reader! As I sometimes don't have immediate access to a computer when flying, this will bring back the immediacy of sharing for impatient people like myself: Leef iAccess iOS microSD Reader

I found a (much) cheaper one in China too: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.16.inRCN5&id=542648296063&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

Hope it's useful. Will get the one from China and report back if it works well :)

Thanks again for indirectly putting me on the right path @Meta4!

Yes micro Sd card reader for iPhone can help you get pictures copied to photo album. Question is how much free space you have on your iPhone.

I copy files using SD card and adapter on my mac and upload to YouTube in 4K format after editing. This way I can watch any of my video any time on my iPhone. You will need good wifi connectivity for doing so. I don't know what's the best solution for you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes micro Sd card reader for iPhone can help you get pictures copied to photo album. Question is how much free space you have on your iPhone.

I copy files using SD card and adapter on my mac and upload to YouTube in 4K format after editing. This way I can watch any of my video any time on my iPhone. You will need good wifi connectivity for doing so. I don't know what's the best solution for you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Good idea and/but:
1. YouTube is blocked in China, and it's slow/cumbersome to access via VPN
2. Sometimes the immediacy of having the shots actually helps - I've had situations outside Beijing where I'd take a photo of some of the engineers on a construction site, share the photos with them immediately, and thus have a more "understanding" collaboration for the rest of the shoot ;)

Moreover, sometimes I'm so excited about something that came from the Phantom, that I immediately want to share it with some fellow geeks :)

So - as you already stated, I think the microSD reader for iOS will help regain the immediacy. Once I receive it, I will share my experiences in this thread.

I have an apple SD card reader for iPhone / iPad, they work well for photos but video is unplayable, well 4K anyway, I need to take some 1080 video and see if that's playable. I have video set to mov in GO settings. Photos are great to view on the large iPad Pro.

If you have a share point (or create one) on your home network, you could post it to a share and then retrieve it from there for your phone.

I have a sd-card reader with a micro usb conector ready on my phantom box.
full

Reactions: Texacola

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik