P4 fan question?

Reaction score
Should the fan come on for a second or two every time you power up your P4? I just bought a second P4 and the fan comes on for a little bit right at power up. My older P4 which has been sitting outside for a couple of weeks (don't ask LOL) is not making the fan come on at power up. I just flew the older one which has been outside in weather for 2 weeks and it's flying perfect. I of course did a fresh IMU cal and a gimble cal. It's flying perfect but I'm not sure about this fan issue! And help def appreciated.

Reactions: RémyHeli
My P4 fan comes on immediately and I'm not sure I've ever heard it NOT run. In saying that, yes I mean I think it's a continuous fan, that should run all the time, since it comes on steady as soon as I start my phantom and does not appear to shut off. But we are coming into to fall / winter so it may not matter soon!

Reactions: KevMo Photog
My P4 fan comes on immediately and I'm not sure I've ever heard it NOT run. In saying that, yes I mean I think it's a continuous fan, that should run all the time, since it comes on steady as soon as I start my phantom and does not appear to shut off. But we are coming into to fall / winter so it may not matter soon!
Thx jbrown. Now mine on my new one comes on at initial power up and then quickly shuts off. I'm assuming it comes back on when flying as needed. But I'm not sure and I guess I'll have to send in my old one that is not coming on at all that I can tell.

Last edited:
Fan does come on shortly at boot, same as some PC laptops. Allow to check if fan is operational. Then thermal condition drives it logically.

Fan stays active because designed to airflow battery cells and electronic within compact design demanding to be cooled down, and actually it's always warm inside! See the fan always running full speed so showing targeting coolest conditions as possible.

Another critical component we rarely discuss but hopefully no fan failure reported so far.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Fan does come on shortly at boot, same as some PC laptops. Allow to check if fan is operational. Then thermal condition drives it logically.

Fan stays active because designed to airflow battery cells and electronic within compact design demanding to be cooled down, and actually it's always warm inside! See the fan always running full speed so showing targeting coolest conditions as possible.

Another critical component we rarely discuss but hopefully no fan failure reported so far.

So my fan is not coming on at power up at all. And not hearing it anytime after that either. So I should just go ahead and send it in right? Wonder how hard it would be to replace this fan if I could get one to replace it with?

Maybe DJI changed the way fan is operating so more in use today. Fan can be either controlled by software or hardware component so knowing firmware version doesn't necessarily answer the question.

You might want ask the question to DJI as we can't fully exclude fan failure. Just for being on safe side because operating without fan does logically increase internal temperature.

Please keep us posted !

Maybe DJI changed the way fan is operating so more in use today. Fan can be either controlled by software or hardware component so knowing firmware version doesn't necessarily answer the question.

You might want ask the question to DJI as we can't fully exclude fan failure. Just for being on safe side because operating without fan does logically increase internal temperature.

Please keep us posted !

I def will keep you posted on this RemyHeli! And thanks for your input too. I sent an email to DJI yesterday. They sent the automated email back and they will get back to me on instructions.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl