P4 CSC command in midflight

Reaction score
Question for the experts
DJI app version 3.1.2
P4 version 01.02.0602
Remote version 1.8.0
What would be the current CSC command for midair flight
Or there are several ?
I know about the 2 sticks inwards down but seems like that applyes only on ground
Some say left stick down and press Rth repeatedly
And how would that transpire if a third party app was used
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

P4-Stop-Motors-Mid-Flight.png

Reactions: Loz
It applies when using any app.

Just wondering why you would want to perform a CSC in midair, or do you just want to be ready for the emergency when you are about to give a toddler a haircut, eye surgery + a nose job simultaneously and have somehow lost all other control of your aircraft. Its no good for catching because you need 2 hands for all the CSC commands and one of them is already hanging onto the Phantom.

I guess if you have the remote controller supported by a strap or on a table a one handed CSC would be possible or if your support crew was doing the catching then you would have 2 hands available for the CSC. Personally I have found the P4 is smart enough to know when it has been caught (or has landed) and is happy to shut down the motors by holding the left stick down even though it would never do that while still flying (thankfully or they would be dropping out of the sky all over the place!!!)

PS Actually it isn't really a CSC command anymore, it has become a CS+BC (Combination Stick + Button Command) or have DJI called it something different in their latest manual

I've wondered if it's possible to do an in-flight motor stop and then restart / recovery in mid fall. I'm far too chicken to try it for real though (you'd have to start pretty high so you have time during the recovery) and while I suspect it'd work, I'm not willing to lose my drone ($$$) finding out. It'd be interesting for someone to try (over a wide open field of soft fluffy snow perhaps) just to see if it can actually be done though...

I suspect this feature exists to facilitate an emergency descent (need to get on the ground right now now - such as in an in-flight fire scenario). Normally the rate of descent is software limited. Even so, it's kind of a head-scratcher. If there ever were an in-flight fire I'd command the drone to descend at max. rate but I'd rather keep control of it while it was coming down for as long as possible. Once you issue the "stop motors" command sure it's going to come down in a big(ger) hurry but it's pretty much a guaranteed total loss at that point (as opposed to a possible / maybe total loss from fire damage in this hypothetical scenario) and is arguably a lot more dangerous since you've then given up control (full or partial) over where it exactly comes down.

I think of the "stop motors" command as a "self destruct" with a touch of "potentially hurt or kill someone below" thrown in. Not something I can really ever see myself using other than for experimentation under highly controlled conditions (such as the above).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've wondered if it's possible to do an in-flight motor stop and then restart / recovery in mid fall.
That most likely will not work. I've never seen anyone attempt it with a P4.

I've wondered if it's possible to do an in-flight motor stop and then restart / recovery in mid fall. I'm far too chicken to try it for real though (you'd have to start pretty high so you have time during the recovery) and while I suspect it'd work, I'm not willing to lose my drone ($$$) finding out. It'd be interesting for someone to try (over a wide open field of soft fluffy snow perhaps) just to see if it can actually be done though...
You could safely try this out.

Get some friends to hold a blanket below the AC and catch it, similar to how people are caught jumping out of burning buildings (not an Urban Myth, this really is done, and works). For a drone two people would be able to easily handle the catch, but 4 would be better.

With the drone you can position it FPV to be right over the blanket before initiating the CSC to kill the motors.

Start low -- 20 feet over the blanket. It's nearly impossible you'll get the motors started again with so little time, but starting there and then moving higher in 10' increments will give you and the catch team some practice.

Now, all that said, I don't think they'll restart, for this reason: The AC will not be stable, but rather will be tumbling. I don't believe the AC will report "ready to fly" and start up if it isn't level and stationary.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan