P3S Range without Connection Errors?

Yes whole antenna facing phantom. Just make sure your RTH is set high enough so on your distance test the phantom won't hit no trees or building's on it's way home if you lose signal.

Yes absolutely! Great point and safety precaution. Really appreciate the heads up!

-with drone obsession from the www.facebook.com/JTCfilms community! Come say HI :)

Be sure to post what distance you get tomorrow.
@JTC Films - maybe also post it in the P3S forum. I'm sure that other P3S owners would love to see your videos. Cheers!

[Update - this P3S related thread was moved by the mods from the Pro/Adv forum to the Standard/4K forum]

Last edited:
Reactions: JTC Films
I was getting about 3000 feet with my Standard with the stock ant. One day for some reason I got it over 4000 feet from my front steps out over farm land. I purchased a second controller to mod and put the DBS mod on it. My farthest with it is 10680 feet (again over farmland here in Indiana). Even at the 2 mile mark I had signal but brought it back as that was far enough for me!

Reactions: JTC Films
I was getting about 3000 feet with my Standard with the stock ant. One day for some reason I got it over 4000 feet from my front steps out over farm land. I purchased a second controller to mod and put the DBS mod on it. My farthest with it is 10680 feet (again over farmland here in Indiana). Even at the 2 mile mark I had signal but brought it back as that was far enough for me!

Duuuude that's insane!!! Sounds like I need to look into modding my controller!!! :p

Do you think signal would be better/more range over open water (ocean) or huge open fields?

-with drone obsession from the www.facebook.com/JTCfilms community! Come say HI :)

Do you think signal would be better/more range over open water (ocean) or huge open fields?

I don't think either matters. There can be several reasons why low range is happening, and a good majority of that is due to Wi-Fi signals in the area. Open field or over water, as long as you're not flying with congested Wi-Fi. Download a Wi-Fi analyzer app, and when you go to an area you want to fly in, turn it on and see what "hotspots" are in the area. If there are more than 1 or 2, I'd say move to another location until there are none.

I got tired of trying to modify the P3S and bought a P3A a couple months later. With this one, you can modify, or select a non congested channel (for transmission signal). You can also lower the image quality (FPV) bandwidth and make it fly a litter further as well. It's a compromise; Better FPV visual with shorter distance, or crappy FPV blocky image but longer distance. These options are not available with the P3S. However, I totally forgot that I bought Sunhans Wi-Fi boosters. I found them in a box just waiting to be used. I'm going to adapt them to the P3S and see what type of range I can get, but I also need one more booster: 5.8ghz. Image uses 2.4ghz, and control uses 5.8ghz.

With the P3A, I can get about 12k feet (stock) without loss of signal, but man, when it's that far out, you can't help but feel worried that you won't see it again, lol. I can't imaging doing 5 mile waypoint trips. I mean, just because I got money to burn don't mean that I like to burn money. IMHO, I say buy a spare controller, make sure it works with your drone, and then modify it, or the original one. You're bound to screw it up the first time, trust me, lol. Buy one of those extenders that look like this one below. The benefit of having this is that you don't have to drill into the controller, and you can swap the antennas with known brands like Alfa.

418s3HlHo3L.jpg

The only downside about this... you see those cables? Those are ok quality and "may" hamper your signal. You want to get great quality cables that look like this:. Notice the color and thickness:

3.jpg

You don't have to buy the kit (it's more convenient), you can just buy the cables (3x) u.fl to sma female ~ 30 cm worth. This is how it looked in my first controller. Notice the bad QC with all that glue? And again, notice those sh!tty gray and black cables? Bad quality control and sh!t wires is another reason why people only get a couple hundred feet before loss of control.

20151203_172633.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think either matters. There can be several reasons why low range is happening, and a good majority of that is due to Wi-Fi signals in the area. Open field or over water, as long as you're not flying with congested Wi-Fi. Download a Wi-Fi analyzer app, and when you go to an area you want to fly in, turn it on and see what "hotspots" are in the area. If there are more than 1 or 2, I'd say move to another location until there are none.

I got tired of trying to modify the P3S and bought a P3A a couple months later. With this one, you can modify, or select a non congested channel (for transmission signal). You can also lower the image quality (FPV) bandwidth and make it fly a litter further as well. It's a compromise; Better FPV visual with shorter distance, or crappy FPV blocky image but longer distance. These options are not available with the P3S. However, I totally forgot that I bought Sunhans Wi-Fi boosters. I found them in a box just waiting to be used. I'm going to adapt them to the P3S and see what type of range I can get, but I also need one more booster: 5.8ghz. Image uses 2.4ghz, and control uses 5.8ghz.

With the P3A, I can get about 12k feet (stock) without loss of signal, but man, when it's that far out, you can't help but feel worried that you won't see it again, lol. I can't imaging doing 5 mile waypoint trips. I mean, just because I got money to burn don't mean that I like to burn money. IMHO, I say buy a spare controller, make sure it works with your drone, and then modify it, or the original one. You're bound to screw it up the first time, trust me, lol. Buy one of those extenders that look like this one below. The benefit of having this is that you don't have to drill into the controller, and you can swap the antennas with known brands like Alfa.

418s3HlHo3L.jpg

The only downside about this... you see those cables? Those are ok quality and "may" hamper your signal. You want to get great quality cables that look like this:. Notice the color and thickness:

3.jpg

You don't have to buy the kit (it's more convenient), you can just buy the cables (3x) u.fl to sma female ~ 30 cm worth. This is how it looked in my first controller. Notice the bad QC with all that glue? And again, notice those sh!tty gray and black cables? Bad quality control and sh!t wires is another reason why people only get a couple hundred feet before loss of control.

20151203_172633.jpg

Wow incredible!!! Definitely need to look into all of this. Been thinking about the extender and opening my RC up to connect it all so I will definitely get a spare RC to mess around with!!! And those other wires! Thanks a lot

Reactions: RadRich

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT