Reaction score
Hi All
I'm sure that this issue had been discussed lots of times but despite searching the internet for fix I was not able to find a solution that would work for me...

I bought my P3S 2 weeks ago and right out of the box I've noticed weak/poor video range...
In the city, surrounded by buildings and WiFi interference's I could only go up to 30m high and 30m forward before I would loose video feed...
I wasn't flying on beginner mode and normally would have about 7 satellites....
I then took my drone away from those interference into a field location and got about 150m before I've lost the video.. The RC signal is strong and I can easily fly over a kilometer but as mentioned above I'm loosing video feed at roughly 150m...

All of the above conditions were tested with both IOS and Android devices running DJI Go and Litchi apps but this has not improved my video range....

I then downgraded the firmware on my drone but once again this didn't improved my video range..

I've decided to buy WiFi extender from ARGtek and was hoping to triple my video distance but once again that didn't improved nothing, at about 150m I've lost the video but could still control the drone...

Is it possible that either the WiFi unit in my drone is faulty or could it be the receiver in my controller???
How can I find out which part if faulty?? Is there any software that can diagnose phantom's hardware??

What video ranges are you guys getting on your P3S??
I'd be happy with 700m but it seems that my drone will never be able to stream video from that distance...

Regards
Dan

Sounds to me like you're being bombarded by wifi interference. When you say you went "into a field" are you sure you were away from interference?

To give it a fair test, you really need to be in a rural area and then give it a few tests. Be sure you aim your controller correctly. Then you will know for sure whether the problem is interference or something about your connection.

Thank you Mark
What I'm going to do, I'll put my tablet into flight mode and enable WIFI In case my own device (mobile network) interfere with wifi signal. I'll then make sure that the only network in the area available to me is Phantom's wifi.
I think once tested and results are the same, I can then start looking at hardware issue, perhaps replacing WiFi down link module in the drone...

Regards
Dan

It sounds to me like something isn't right. I own a P3 4K (also uses Wifi) and do not have this problem. I've flown in heavy interference areas and still achieved 600m distance with fpv. In open/rural areas, I've reached 1600m with fpv. My set up is stock (other than a cheap set of windsurfers). I hope you resolve it!

It sounds to me like something isn't right. I own a P3 4K (also uses Wifi) and do not have this problem. I've flown in heavy interference areas and still achieved 600m distance with fpv. In open/rural areas, I've reached 1600m with fpv. My set up is stock (other than a cheap set of windsurfers). I hope you resolve it!
Thanks Goldsaum82
It is very frustrating especially when you waiting to get your drone and once you have it you can't go more than 150m!!!!
I was shooting a firework display 2 nights ago which was roughly 250m away from me, I wanted to fly into the fireworks but lost a video at 150m so I was shooting blind!! Luckly I've pointed drone into right direction and was able to get great shoots by luck more than anything...

The P3P 4K does not use a standard WiFi (Lightbridge) as opposed to standard WiFi used on P3S...
Lightbridge apparently is more reliable???....
I may replace drone completely and upgrade it to P3P at the same time as I believe the transmitter is faulty..

Regards
Dan

Thanks Goldsaum82
It is very frustrating especially when you waiting to get your drone and once you have it you can't go more than 150m!!!!
I was shooting a firework display 2 nights ago which was roughly 250m away from me, I wanted to fly into the fireworks but lost a video at 150m so I was shooting blind!! Luckly I've pointed drone into right direction and was able to get great shoots by luck more than anything...

The P3P 4K does not use a standard WiFi (Lightbridge) as opposed to standard WiFi used on P3S...
Lightbridge apparently is more reliable???....
I may replace drone completely and upgrade it to P3P at the same time as I believe the transmitter is faulty..

Regards
Dan
Dan,
The P3 4K does use Wifi. You're confusing this with the P3 Professional (uses Lightbridge + shoots in 4K). Both the P3A and P3P use Lightbridge, as opposed to the Wifi that the P3S and P3 4K use. I own both a P3 4K and P3A. I will say that the Lightbridge tech is in a completely different league than Wifi. Yesterday, I flew my P3A 1000m away in a highly populated suburb full of interference (Wifi, cell towers, power lines, etc). If you want range, buy a P3A or P3P.

Dan,
The P3 4K does use Wifi. You're confusing this with the P3 Professional (uses Lightbridge + shoots in 4K). Both the P3A and P3P use Lightbridge, as opposed to the Wifi that the P3S and P3 4K use. I own both a P3 4K and P3A. I will say that the Lightbridge tech is in a completely different league than Wifi. Yesterday, I flew my P3A 1000m away in a highly populated suburb full of interference (Wifi, cell towers, power lines, etc). If you want range, buy a P3A or P3P.
Sorry Goldsaum82
I didn't even knew that P3 4K existed...
You are very lucky to get that range or I may be the unlucky one to own faulty phantom...
I may upgrade to P3P or try to fix this one because apart from poor video signal it does a great job with everything else...
I wish there was a way to test what is faulty if anything...
Regards
Dan

Yea, the P3 4K is a less known model, but very cool none the less. If you're overly bothered/worried by the issue, just contact DJI and send it in under your 12 month warranty.

Hi All
I'm sure that this issue had been discussed lots of times but despite searching the internet for fix I was not able to find a solution that would work for me...

I bought my P3S 2 weeks ago and right out of the box I've noticed weak/poor video range...
In the city, surrounded by buildings and WiFi interference's I could only go up to 30m high and 30m forward before I would loose video feed...
I wasn't flying on beginner mode and normally would have about 7 satellites....
I then took my drone away from those interference into a field location and got about 150m before I've lost the video.. The RC signal is strong and I can easily fly over a kilometer but as mentioned above I'm loosing video feed at roughly 150m...

All of the above conditions were tested with both IOS and Android devices running DJI Go and Litchi apps but this has not improved my video range....

I then downgraded the firmware on my drone but once again this didn't improved my video range..

I've decided to buy WiFi extender from ARGtek and was hoping to triple my video distance but once again that didn't improved nothing, at about 150m I've lost the video but could still control the drone...

Is it possible that either the WiFi unit in my drone is faulty or could it be the receiver in my controller???
How can I find out which part if faulty?? Is there any software that can diagnose phantom's hardware??

What video ranges are you guys getting on your P3S??
I'd be happy with 700m but it seems that my drone will never be able to stream video from that distance...

Regards
Dan
Welcome to the forum!
Glad your first post isn't I crashed my drone. :rolleyes:
I think your unit is bad.
After adding the ARGtek, Can you get your remote back to stock?
I loose video, and remote control signal about the same time. The remote will say lost signal, and wanting to RTH, when I look back at the Phantom, Hum where did it go. About 3/4 mile. :)
If you can return it, get a standard that works or go up to the Advanced. ;)
If you send it to DJI, I recommend sending the remote. Some have purchased a remote, and sent in the new remote if they have modded the original.

This was a thread, where we talking about how much WiFi could be in your area.
Is my bird broke? P3 standard
For an Android, there is an app called WiFi analyzer by farproc, not available for crApple.

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl