P3P flies gently into oblivion

I was flying my P3P on my birthday, the 14th, in an unfamiliar area. Using Autopilot, I laid out a waypoint mission for it. Launched drone to 220 feet and hovered while I climbed to the third floor landing of our apt building. Ran checklists, engaged, mission uploaded, drone set off on mission. Easy line of sight to drone ... tracking straight ... instant LOS @ ~900 ft. Still in easy sight, I pull out binoculars to help. I hit RTH beeping commences. Drone never returns. NEVER reeshablishes telemetry. Telemetry normally out to 4300 feet ... as much as 7500. HELP! Drone never recovered.
Some little bastard scooped it up and has it sitting like a trophy in his bedroom.
I glued a Tile on mine.

So .... literally ...from the drone fairytale "DJI in Wonderland" - came a knock on the door of my friends home in CO. Standing there were an adult man and a young boy holding a drone. The man announced the boy as 10 year old Donovan. Donovan explained that he was in the area visiting his grandma. When he first got to her house, she told a tale of a strange helicopter landing in her backyard and shutting itself off back in December and she had been scared to touch it - would Donovan find out what he could about it? He took the job. Eventually, he identified the gimbal SD card and watched the footage. There was some footage of an apartment window with some kids in it, so Donovan printed a still shot and went hunting. He said it was easy because when he spotted the window - the same kids were in it!

Reactions: holguinerito
So .... literally ...from the drone fairytale "DJI in Wonderland" - came a knock on the door of my friends home in CO. Standing there were an adult man and a young boy holding a drone. The man announced the boy as 10 year old Donovan. Donovan explained that he was in the area visiting his grandma. When he first got to her house, she told a tale of a strange helicopter landing in her backyard and shutting itself off back in December and she had been scared to touch it - would Donovan find out what he could about it? He took the job. Eventually, he identified the gimbal SD card and watched the footage. There was some footage of an apartment window with some kids in it, so Donovan printed a still shot and went hunting. He said it was easy because when he spotted the window - the same kids were in it!
Nice to know you got your bird back .

Donovan explained that he was in the area visiting his grandma. When he first got to her house, she told a tale of a strange helicopter landing in her backyard and shutting itself off back in December ...
Great story with a happy ending ...... Donovan's a great junior detective.

Would be interesting to learn what firmware version was running on the AC when the incident occurred. There was an earlier version where a DJI sdk/software issue prevented RTH initiating on signal loss with autopilot.

By now, some 4 months later, my friends and I had as much relegated the odds of finding my drone to be equivalent to winning a $600 million Powerball with a single ticket - yet here it was, happening to us. Thank you Donovan & family for showing us there's always a chance

Those Tile trackers are useless. They are barely even considered a tracker.
Why? I have several and use them all the time to find my keys and wallet within my house. I understand it's limitations. It needs someone running the app to occasionally come near it. But I can find its last known location and start there. If I'm in range I can make it ring. It's not perfect but it's one more tool to help. If I get close, it will tell me I'm near and update the last known location. That is immensely helpful when doing a search thru grass and bushes. Install the app on several devices and fan out.

Why? I have several and use them all the time to find my keys and wallet within my house. I understand it's limitations. It needs someone running the app to occasionally come near it. But I can find its last known location and start there. If I'm in range I can make it ring. It's not perfect but it's one more tool to help. If I get close, it will tell me I'm near and update the last known location. That is immensely helpful when doing a search thru grass and bushes. Install the app on several devices and fan out.

Seriously?! You lose your wallet and keys in your own house all the time??? I can't say I have ever done that, I mean maybe once or twice I had to look for a couple minutes. I guess they are helpful to a few but I have to agree HWCM they're pretty much junk.

Well, for starters, if you loose it 5000 feet away, you will need to be within 30 feet of it (Bluetooth) to pick up a signal on your app. If it is in a field somewhere,there will be no other people in the "Tile" community to help locate it. To be honest, there probably won't be any other tile users in a high population downtown area either. They are just not a popular, wanted or used product. And since they are community dependant, they are just useless.
So, at 5000 feet away in a field, you have an almost one mile radius around the Phantom to begin your search. Luck would have a better chance of locating it.
Also ,the alarm or lack there of, is hardly noticeable outdoors within ten feet.
Good luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor