P3P - Best firmware combination for Intelligent Flight Modes with no NFZ restriction

Reaction score
Hello all,
This question would be for those of you who are familiar with the different firmware and software versions.

I have a Phantom 3 Professional running the following versions (found in the 'about' menu of the DJI Go App):
DJI Go App: 2.4.3
Remote Controller: 1.3.20
Firmware: 1.2.6+

I do a lot of my flying in my backyard. It's been great, the yard is big enough to practice and work on my skills. There is a small airport about 1.8 miles from my house, so just to be safe I keep 'beginner mode' turned on so that I don't inadvertently go above 100ft. Usually I don't go more than 50ft up when flying at home.

I'm hearing a lot about the new NFZ (No Fly Zone) restrictions being embedded in the newer firmware. I checked DJI's NFZ map and the airport near my house is not part of this restriction...yet. My concern is that updating to the most recent software/firmware might someday cause my P3P to be unusable in my own backyard if the nearby airport ever gets added to that list. I have no problem with playing it safe, and like I said I never go above 100ft when doing my backyard flying.

I am considering updating my FW to 1.4 to add the Intelligent Flight Modes functionality (POI, Waypoints, Home Lock, etc). From my understanding, FW 1.4 adds this but does not yet restrict NFZs. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

My question is this: What would be the best combination of software/firmware versions (Go App, Remote Controller, Firmware) that would enable the Intelligent Flight Modes but NOT the NFZ restrictions?

Thank you!
Jeff

DJI go App 2.4.3 has ability to connect to NFZ servers but as you have Lower RC version, you are not seeing it. I believe, though not sure, FW upgrades above 1.4 will lock you up into NFZs. You have already are on DJI go app and next upgrade to RC and AC will get you NFZs.

So if I upgrade the AC to 1.4 but don't upgrade the RC, I will get the Intelligent Flight Modes but still avoid the NFZ restrictions? I could also go back to the Pilot App if I have to but not sure if that makes a difference or not.

1. If you are flying in a NFZ area, no matter even if your P3 is not restricting you, you are not expected to fly even at heights of 100'

2. My experience is that go app is not adding unnecessary NFZs

3. If you just upgrade AC FW to 1.4, keeping others at same, yes you have good chances of avoiding NFZs mapped to your app though not fully sure of it

The current NFZ map makes sense, nobody should fly near a major airport or near any air traffic. The one near my house is not on the NFZ list and I'm extremely cautious about flying here even if I'm barely getting off the ground. I'm just thinking about the future here...I'm worried that someday there will be NFZs all over the place, even in areas that are safe to fly in.

I just upgrade to 1.4, it's nice to have the POI, Follow Me, etc features! Calibrate the IMU and gimbal afterwards and took it for a test...working great so far and the new Intelligent Flight Modes seem to work pretty well. Looked at my google map in the DJI Go App before I updated and it was showing red circles around the major airport (not near me) and also the nearby airport. Even though I'm less than 2 miles from the nearby airport, the red 'zone' only covers the runway area and doesn't go near as far out as I live so that's a relief! This I'm perfectly OK with. Just worried about the future, when every city and property becomes 'red zones' and there will be nowhere to fly this thing! Hopefully I'm wrong and that won't happen :) Just love flying this thing, it's tons of fun!
Thanks for your input, alokbhargava!
Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan