P3A won't calibrate compass

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I was flying in a new area, and got a random COMPASS ERROR message on the screen while flying. Not constantly, but once every 20 seconds or so. Then about a week later on my next flight, where I normally fly in my yard, I also got the same random error. Yesterday, I tried to fly but it wouldn't even let me take off, and told me to calibrate the compass... but it wouldn't let me complete the calibration.

I tried to do an IMU calibration, which it did fine, but still wouldn't calibrate the compass. I successfully upgraded to the latest firmware 01.09.0060, ( I was running 01.08... before that) but it still won't calibrate.
I've calibrated the compass many times in my yard before and never had a problem. This is the exact same spot in my yard that I've compass calibrated before. There's no concrete slabs close by, or metal buildings or anything, and I've also tried multiple locations in my yard, making sure there's nothing metallic on me, not holding the radio etc...

Here is the message I get when I try to start up:
DAD9A3FA-EAB0-4B71-82EB-0E51EE7BAFD7_zpsnf5o2tux.jpeg

Here is the sensor page:
738E69EB-07BA-4308-B203-B577AA531578_zpsw6ewozmg.jpeg

And here is the message I get after trying to complete a compass calibration:
F442452E-E487-4C71-8983-A08D6F8BF050_zpsly5sx5kh.jpeg

I sent a message to DJI and they surprisingly responded the same day, asking for those screenshots, but I thought I'd ask here also to see if anyone else has experienced this and solved the problem, before they ask me to send it in for repairs.

I've got that a few times but just moved 10 feet and it was fine. But I was in some junked out yards with lots of buried metals, so not the same scenario as yours. Did you try moving?

Maybe electrical interference, the watch on your wrist, the phone in your pocket.

Take every metal off you and goto a park or field and try again.

Maybe electrical interference, the watch on your wrist, the phone in your pocket.

Take every metal off you and goto a park or field and try again.
No watch, no phone, no keys, nothing in my pocket except lint. Different locations...

I only had a problem once and that was caused by an electrical sub station that I thought was not active. (but was).

DJI has sent me a pre paid label and I shipped it off to them. They claim it will be covered under warranty. I hope I get it back soon. It was shipped out on 7/11/16

Reactions: Reed L
Just an update... My P3A came back to me today! (7/29/16) It is the same aircraft (I know because I have a skin on it) and it came back in the same DJI box I shipped it in. I was a little scared when I opened the shipping box and found a loose screw sitting on top of the DJI box, but then as I pulled out the inner box, I found a total of 15 screws inside, 3 different sizes. So I'm assuming they pulled the shell off and just let the screws fall, then replaced them with new ones after the repairs were done. I wonder how many teeny tiny screws are on their floor right now...?

According to the invoice, they replaced the right landing gear module at 10.00, and the main control board module at 128.00. But there was a discount of 100% so I didn't have to pay a dime for the repair! they even covered shipping both ways!

It took me about 10 minutes to figure out why I wasn't getting a picture on my iphone though... Turns out the SD card wasn't in. They asked me not to send it, and I forgot That I took it out. It took me another 20 minutes to find it in the house though...

After I did, I made sure the firmware was still up to date, which it was, did an IMU and compass calibration, and if flew great!

A very positive, and quicker than I thought, interaction with DJI!

According to the invoice, they replaced the right landing gear module at 10.00, and the main control board module at 128.00. But there was a discount of 100% so I didn't have to pay a dime for the repair! they even covered shipping both ways!
A good result.
For anyone running into the same problem, the clue was in the second photo in the original post.
If your compass data shows Zero rather than numbers it's indicating that the compass is either busted or disconnected and will never recalibrate.
i-NQPCKHx-M.jpg

Thanx for updating the thread.
Hate when people leave threads hanging lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart