P3A RC Charging Issue After Latest Firmware

Reaction score
Got my P3A out yesterday for the first time in a couple of months. Charged RC and P3A batteries no problem. Powered on and connected to find a DJI GO app update as well as firmware updates for both the RC and P3A. I've done these before and everything went by the book. Didn't actually fly afterward but just played around with connection and settings. When I was finished, I attempted to charge the RC again and it began as normal but then the lights went off as if it were finished. I have tried all the tricks I know to hard reset and re-pair the RC to the P3A and it still will not charge. I have read things saying bad battery cells but I find it hard to believe that my RC battery crapped out at the exact time of a firmware upgrade. Can I downgrade firmware and if so, will I have to do both the RC and P3A? Any suggestions or instructions are appreciated.

RC FW update should not affect battery charging behavior. There is something else wrong in your case, may be battery is dead.

You can revert back to previous firmware versions ...... when starting up the DJI Go APP on your phone or tablet there are three bars .. top right. If you press on that and hold you should get a screen up with the option to load previous versions. Go back and see if that helps ! I have the same issue and it looks like I need a new battery .. which is another major issue !!

Update: I reverted back to firmware version 1.6 via the DJI GO app and there was no change in the charging behavior. Started a chat with DJI support last night and went through all the usual steps (update back to firmware version 1.9.2, perform reset, perform calibration). The charging process failed twice while on the chat. I now have a repair case open and a UPS label to ship the controller in to them.

I understand that a firmware upgrade SHOULD not affect battery charging but who knows for sure. It was very strange that my battery charged fine just before upgrading firmware but not again after.

I'll be sending the controller off across country either today or tomorrow. Hopefully the repair is not too expensive. I don't have the DJI Care or whatever it's called. If anyone else has had experience with controller repair for this issue, I would love to hear your details.

Charged RC and P3A batteries no problem. Didn't actually fly afterward but just played around with connection and settings. When I was finished, I attempted to charge the RC again and it began as normal but then the lights went off as if it were finished.
Is this correct? You fully charged the RC. Didn't fly, and then tried to charge the RC again but it acted as if it were fully charged?

Is this correct? You fully charged the RC. Didn't fly, and then tried to charge the RC again but it acted as if it were fully charged?
1. Fully charged RC + P3A
2. Upgraded firmware on both
3. Connected and played with settings plus a little indoor hovering.
After the firmware upgrade and my playing around with settings, etc. the RC battery was down around 50% or so. That's when I attempted to charge again in preparation for an actual flight the next day and it was then that the charging issue first happened.

1. Fully charged RC + P3A
2. Upgraded firmware on both
3. Connected and played with settings plus a little indoor hovering.
After the firmware upgrade and my playing around with settings, etc. the RC battery was down around 50% or so. That's when I attempted to charge again in preparation for an actual flight the next day and it was then that the charging issue first happened.
Wow, from fully charged to 50% charged in just that short time? The RC battery normally takes a long time to run down during use so you may indeed have a bad battery. Are you determining a 50% charge with the RC's LEDs or via the RC battery level data in the app. I'm just wondering if the two align with each other.

Wow, from fully charged to 50% charged in just that short time? The RC battery normally takes a long time to run down during use so you may indeed have a bad battery. Are you determining a 50% charge with the RC's LEDs or via the RC battery level data in the app. I'm just wondering if the two align with each other.
I did have it on for a while but it also seemed to drain faster than normal. I don't remember the exact battery level from the app. When attempting to charge, it was the first 2 LED lights and eventually the first 3 but that's as far as it got. The sequential LED lights never make it to the 4th one. I know anything can happen but it doesn't seem likely for a battery like that to fail with no more use than it has. I literally have 4 flights. One on the first day and 3 more on the same day a few days later.

I did have it on for a while but it also seemed to drain faster than normal. I don't remember the exact battery level from the app. When attempting to charge, it was the first 2 LED lights and eventually the first 3 but that's as far as it got. The sequential LED lights never make it to the 4th one. I know anything can happen but it doesn't seem likely for a battery like that to fail with no more use than it has. I literally have 4 flights. One on the first day and 3 more on the same day a few days later.
Since it's a LIPO, the issues could be related to you not using it for a few months. The RC batteries do take a very long time to charge. I'm assuming you left it plugged in long enough?

Since it's a LIPO, the issues could be related to you not using it for a few months. The RC batteries do take a very long time to charge. I'm assuming you left it plugged in long enough?
Yeah, I left it plugged in overnight. From what I can tell, if the sequential LED battery lights aren't flashing, it isn't charging.

Yeah, I left it plugged in overnight. From what I can tell, if the sequential LED battery lights aren't flashing, it isn't charging.
Sounds like that's the case sir. I hope you can get it sorted out with DJI via warranty since the RC batteries are hard to source. Good luck and cheers!

Keep us up to date and good luck .. I am in the same boat but tempted to get a second battery first !!

Just handed it over to UPS this morning. I thought about trying to replace the battery myself but I have seen some horror stories and some where even after replacing the battery, it still didn't work. There is just too much risk that it is some component other than the battery. I will keep this post up to date on my repair process.

Reactions: Oso
Well it took nearly two months but today I received a brand new P3 Adv/Pro RC at no cost to me. DJI didn't elaborate on what the problem with the old one was but the also didn't question it. Now to make sure this one charges... If you don't hear from me again on this thread, all is well.

IMG_20170920_145408.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl