Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

P2V motor lifespan

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by rbarghini, Feb 19, 2014.

1. rbarghini

Hi group,

I'm curious & perhaps other users here are too, does anybody know the typical lifespan of these motors under normal opertaing conditions? I wouldn't care otherwise if I were driving RC cars for example, if a motor goes, so what but because these things fly and very high at that, the repercussions are never good if a motor goes. Is there something that says, after X amount of flights, it's best to replace all four motors?

Has anybody experienced over 300 flights yet & without any motor issues/replacements?

Thanks,
    Ron

2. GMANNZ

I have just ordered new set of motors, and only bought my P2V in DEC ..... noticed one has slight vertical play in motor, all other 3 fine seem locked down well ... ??

Dont want to risk it, so am just going to replace all 4 x ... they are only $30 bucks each, and figured would rather pay for new set of motors and good elctronics tech to swap them out, than to have to pay to replace the P2V after totally wasting it from a motor malfunction :shock:

3. rbarghini

GMANNZ,

How many flights since December? Who are you having perform the motor swaps? I'm curious to know if the slight vertical play in the one motor was due to a missing e-clip or not.

4. mshieldsjr

One of my motors has that "slight" vertical movement as well. I took the cover off and the e-clip was firmly in place.

We are a motor control company so I asked our chief engineer about the movement and there was not a bunch of concern. So I'm still flying with it.

5. rbarghini

Hi mshieldsjr,

Could the movement be related to a bad motor bearing?

6. mshieldsjr

Not sure about that - again not a lot of concern shown when I mentioned it.