P2V is a Dud. A Flop. A Disappointment.

Don the builder said:
To the OP, perhaps you had high expectations of the P2V, there is a saying that "Expectations are only a resentment in the making".

As for me and others we keep having a load of fun and not to mention I had my company pay 1/2 the cost as I also use the P2V on development projects in and around the Los Angeles area.

Here is a one shot of many that I took last weekend down at the Long Beach harbor area across from the Queen Mary. Perfect no, a blast yes.

And yes I already see myself upgrading in the next 6 months or so as I have a South American trip planned (I wonder how my P2V will react in Machu Picchu, Peru???????)

azaoea.jpg

And you know whats good about this shot ? Don the builder is probably still up there eating his lunch taking photos and sending them all over the world..
Great shot

DumpP2VgetaPv2FPVkit said:
Scott have you viewed the comparison videos of the visions camera to the gopro? The gopro BLOWS the vision out of the water , makes it look like a lads toy. Why throw good money after bad stabilizing inferior video? Bhphoto Zi got my P2 Zenmuse iosd fpv new case all installed and warranties by bhphoto $1800 us, not squid pound or euro. Dollars!
Convert now, or fall forever..,,

Lol. You're one of those people that are not worth arguing with because you're too stubborn to hear the truth. I would never buy a phantom 2 to carry a go pro. The go Pro is very similar in quality to the vision camera. You'll never get professional grade quality videos out of the go Pro. If you want professional grade then you may as well by the DJI S1000 and a higher end camera.

Don the builder said:
(I wonder how my P2V will react in Machu Picchu, Peru???????)
According to the interwebs, that's around 8000' elevation, which should be fine (my house is at 7000', others have flown at 11,000 and above).

Oooooh only just seen this thread.

This is how I see it as someone who has now changed to a P2. (Note I have not got it yet so things could change later). I loved the P2Vision. I am probably going to keep it as I realise it may turn out to be better at photography and of course we are all looking forward to the Groundstation capabilities when they are released.

As most people will realise I am somewhat of a video nut. I don't think there is much difference at all between the Gopro black video quality than the Vision camera but there is certainly going to be a Gopro upgrade path. The future is uncertain as yet for the vision camera.

To get smooth video I need a gimble so I chose to not invest further in the P2V as maybe there will not be a camera upgrade path ?

These two videos swayed me. One was mine and the other was made by a P2 pilot I met at the location. They are not shot on the same day but you will get the idea. When he shot his he did not have an FPV solution so he could not see what the camera was capturing. Now he has FPV so he can.

Mine PSVision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYN9ryDkaOA

His P2 Gopro Zemuse etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8UkIlj ... 4-overview

So I am not looking to upset anyone or claim one is better than the other. I am prepared though to explain why I changed. Remember it is possible to get smooth footage with a P2Vision. You need to have fairly calm conditions, make use of ATTI and use tricks like reversing the film etc to smooth out the bumps.

Shrimpfarmer said:
These two videos swayed me. One was mine and the other was made by a P2 pilot I met at the location. They are not shot on the same day but you will get the idea. When he shot his he did not have an FPV solution so he could not see what the camera was capturing. Now he has FPV so he can.

Mine PSVision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYN9ryDkaOA

His P2 Gopro Zemuse etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8UkIlj ... 4-overview

Wow again. I liked both and while YouTube may have squatted on the renderings (I notice that it does on mine), I thought your P2V flight was excellent and looked as good (to me) as the P2 GoPro except for one or two bobbles (which could have been edited perhaps...) the tracking of the train across the viaduct was a selling point for FPV. The P2 flight did a few higher altitude shots that I wouldn't count in the mix since the P2V seems to do them just as well. The down close and personal shots are where the GoPro shines (IMHO).

Dagnabbit - I don't think you sold me on either version but you did make me wonder if I need to get the P2V a little more. I have a P2 with gimbal and the videos are very nice and the stabilization is extraordinary ( I posted a video of uber-stabilization in another thread - here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdgaUI_3LLI ). However, for 'normal' videos (I guess that would be my 'normal') the P2V seems to do a good job, too.

Signed
Confused in Nebraska

Ladykate don't forget there is soon to be a choice of two third-party gimbals for the Vision using the stock camera. Yes, it's more money (one of them substantially so), but it's stabilised footage with the convenience of the smartphone FPV...

However Shrimpfarmer made the excellent point that GoPro may well improve again, whilst keeping the same trademark form factor - it is unknown as to whether DJI might make a mark 2 Vision camera and then offer that as a future upgrade.

@shrimpfarmer: gopro 3+ black is pretty awesome for what it is... certainly wider dynamic range than FC-200 and its onboard video processing is quite superior... some ppl may think that their video may be over processed (too much sharpening, etc), but hey, they look good :mrgreen:

I can't wait to see what you'll do with your P2+GP3H+Gimbal...

Pull_Up said:
Ladykate don't forget there is soon to be a choice of two third-party gimbals for the Vision using the stock camera. Yes, it's more money (one of them substantially so), but it's stabilised footage with the convenience of the smartphone FPV...

However Shrimpfarmer made the excellent point that GoPro may well improve again, whilst keeping the same trademark form factor - it is unknown as to whether DJI might make a mark 2 Vision camera and then offer that as a future upgrade.

...and GoPro has problems too. Quite apart from being unable to control the cam remotely, a plus for the PV cam, a lot of people got Hero3+ cameras with guess what? Focus problems... GoPro were not very helpful about that....

And, if you get serious about photo or video, neither camera is really up to the job....

My Phantom upgrade is an S800 which will carry a full frame sensor camera.........

gpauk said:
My Phantom upgrade is an S800 which will carry a full frame sensor camera.........

I drooled over one of them until I watched this video from an unhappy customer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZkMxGgz8b8[/youtube]

Shrimpfarmer said:
gpauk said:

WOW! I wonder if they fixed it with the S1000. I'm pretty happy with my phantom vision though so I don't plan to buy one anytime soon unless they are able to match the flight time of the vision.

Shrimpfarmer said:
gpauk said:

i can not say nothing about the S800 but i also had many problems with my hexa (non dji).
People who are disappointed about the PV and want to upgrade, are probably people without experience with other multirotors.

I am happy with my P2V because i know better. I learned my lesson and i accept the quality of the camera.

Just got my P2V on Wednesday. Did not get a chance to fly it till today (very brief low altitude in the late afternoon). I've spent the last two days struggling with trying to update the firmware (Mac Assist SW apparently does not work) and getting pissed by a lack of response from dji tech support). But after a brief 8 min flight, i was reasonably impressed by the video and stills the phantom took. As good as a gopro? Don't know. I'll try to hang my Hero 2 off it in the next couple of days to do a comparison.

Up until I saw this video I had been formulating a plan to return the P2V to Amazon within the 30-day period and get a P2 with the Zen Gimbal. I can add other stuff as I go (FPV, OSD and maybe a Futaba Tx).

But again, the video/pics were better than I had anticipated

Scottrod said:
disjecta said:
Pull_Up said:
I fully respect your opinion, and you're fully entitled to it. Some people feel exactly the same way, some don't. In any event it seems a bit odd to go to the trouble of making (another) user name on a Phantom help and discussion forum just to make your point. Your opinion would carry a lot more weight if you didn't just hit and run with a novelty name.

Why don't you link us to some of your P2V videos and some of your P2 videos to show us the comparison, and why you wanted to change? Tell us about the cost of your P2 with GoPro, zenmuse and FPV Kit. Let us know how the installation went, or how much you paid to have it done professionally? Whether or not you find the lack of camera control on the GoPro to be a slight downside compared to taking still with the Vision? What was your experience getting a refund/return on your P2V? Which dealer so others know who gives good service?

You know, useful stuff that might actually help others?

Just sayin'! ;)

Well said. Even fans of the P2V know it's flawed and, to be honest, it's fair to say that there's always someone out there that is bitching about what's wrong with a piece of technology. I also own a Canon 5D Mark III which, I think, is one of the best DSLRs in the world and there are those that are still complaining about it.

The P2V allows you to have great fun flying, get more than decent photographs (certainly suitable for almost every computer-based screen purpose, maybe not for print) and can also get some pretty decent video if your flying skills are really good and you use stabilizing software (even YouTube's free one).

Switching to a P2 looks attractive but, as previously mentioned, when you add everything up, it winds up being really expensive and it is far from plug and play.

I think it's possible to make some great pictures and video with the P2V but it takes work and patience and skill and there are some people out there that don't have any of those things and they are the ones who complain the most.

Again, totally agree. The P2 set up that you described would be a lot more expensive, almost double the price. I'm perfectly happy with my phantom 2 vision. At most I might add a brushless gimbal to it. As a real estate agent the platform is perfect for what I do. It's possible that I may upgrade to another machine in the future, but as with anything technology improves over time. I'm considering one day possibly upgrading to the DJI S1000 but in all honesty it would probably be overkill for what I do with it. In my opinion the Phantom 2 Vision is a great platform. The ability to take a photo while flying and viewing the photo in first person is tits.

All that being said, you do realize you could probably just put a go pro mount on the Phantom 2 vision and temporarily remove the factory camera, right? The Phantom 2 vision is essentially the same machine as the Phantom 2 with really only one using 2.4 and the other using 5.8.

Yes the Vision is not so bad as many are saying. Even the JPG's can be ok for screen viewing.
When I saw you are into Real Estate, I thought you mabe was interested to some photos I have taken as a test for some real estate photos. All the photo are taken in JPG because it was before we could use Raw.
Take a look here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/113967009@N03/

Only 3 or 4 of them are taken with Real Estate in mind, but it should be easy to find which of them I am talking about :cool:

Klaus said:
Only 3 or 4 of them are taken with Real Estate in mind, but it should be easy to find which of them I am talking about :cool:

Nice shots. These are the examples that make me want to buy a P2V even though I have a P2 with gimbal.

Yeah, how did you get these Vision shots to come out so well? Was there much post editing? My Vision pictures seem much more blurry than they should be.

YeeaaBoii said:
Yeah, how did you get these Vision shots to come out so well? Was there much post editing? My Vision pictures seem much more blurry than they should be.

Hi and thanks.

Yes the originals don't look anything like this, its all done in the post editing in Lightroom.

I'm really looking forward to be able to shoot in Raw, then it will be even better. But as it as now I don't even have my Vision, I have send it back to Helipal because of connection problems, and a camera that are blurry in the left hand side.

ladykate said:
Klaus said:

Nice shots. These are the examples that make me want to buy a P2V even though I have a P2 with gimbal.

Hi
Why do you want a P2V when you already have a P2 with Gimbal?
What camera are you using, a GoPro?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl