P-4 Carbon Fiber blade failure

Because those props were designed for that craft. This isn't so much about not using CF, but more about using props that were not designed by DJI to operate with their craft.

But at the end of the day it's your money do what you want. Just realize that DJI will deny warranty issues if you have any failures. And they do know if you were using a prop that is not stock vs say a carbon fiber one. The information logged by the craft can show that a non stock prop was used. They actively check for this. There have been quite a few inspire 1 claims that were denied because they were using a popular CF prop that was not a DJI prop.

How is this detected and monitored? Start up motor speed?
Does this apply to a P3's carbon fiber blades as well?

But isnt that just speculation? Is there data to support that they will cause a potential failure....or even data to support they will have a postive impact?
Looking at your avatar I'll use this analogy. Some people think wheel spacers to give more backspace are fine and others think they are dangerous. People have and will argue about it for years. I have wheel spacers on my jeep and you might end up with carbon props, the world will still circle the sun once a year ;)

Reactions: jakobe75
Looking at your avatar I'll use this analogy. Some people think wheel spacers to give more backspace are fine and others think they are dangerous. People have and will argue about it for years. I have wheel spacers on my jeep and you might end up with carbon props, the world will still circle the sun once a year ;)

I have run spacers on my atv and jeeps for years, under stressful condition and on daily drivers....they get my approval.

They are fragile. Strong like glass but not tough. Just a tiny strike will shatter them. Why does DJI sell them? Because carbon fiber is COOL with high profit margin. I have 250 flights on the original props.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have one question your more experienced drone pilots may be able to answer.
Can a Drone fly with a loose or missing blade once in MID FLIGHT ?????
It's had to believe I was so lucky to have just landed & on the next take off on the next flight it wanted to roll over & not fly at all.
With a lose prop it will fly but will sound as if you are losing a motor bearing, usually caused by your springs not pushing your prop in the mount(P4).
If you lose a prop the other 3 will take you directly to the scene of the crash.

But isnt that just speculation? Is there data to support that they will cause a potential failure....or even data to support they will have a postive impact?
According to the DJI rep on RCG, yes they have a lot of failures due to using non DJI props. You're looking at the performance aspect, I'm looking at the failure aspect.

How is this detected and monitored? Start up motor speed?
Does this apply to a P3's carbon fiber blades as well?
The motor signal curves on graph such as PWM, and measurements on graph such as power draw, etc will change when you use a different prop. If you've ever built your own quad or plane and done this kind of testing to determine which props and prop material you want to use by looking at data logging from the ESC you'd know what I mean. :)

The motor signal curves on graph such as PWM, and measurements on graph such as power draw, etc will change when you use a different prop. If you've ever built your own quad or plane and done this kind of testing to determine which props and prop material you want to use by looking at data logging from the ESC you'd know what I mean. :)

Have you done this kind of testing on a P4?

According to the DJI rep on RCG, yes they have a lot of failures due to using non DJI props. You're looking at the performance aspect, I'm looking at the failure aspect.

Do they have a published statistic on their own carbon fiber props?

I was not aware of DJI actually was selling carbon fiber props. I've only seen the aftermarket ones that says "for DJI P4P".
I've seen a few articles/reviews on the CF props from Drone World and none were good.
I'd stick with stock props.
DJI sells the black plastic props, genuine DJI brand at Best Buy to go along with there BB black edition P4 so if you want the cool factor of black props just go with the DJI brand props. Not a CF prop "for DJI".

I had three different CF prop types different manufactures and different pitch for my two other quads (Yuneec) and I went back to stock props after noticing since they are so stiff the bird didn't handle the winds as well and didn't seem much improvement at all. They were the Aeronaut CAMcarbon Light,
MAYTECH 13x4.5 CF, and Maytech 13x3 CF. The Aeronaut CAMcarbon Light were made in Germany and Maytech made in China. All were factory balanced and I checked them all myself-all good.
The higher pitch did seem to be a little zippier in throttle response but even though I checked the balance on all of them my 4K grey Typhoon seemed to have more vibration in the camera gimbal than stock.
For sure the higher pitch I had to be more careful on descending down to avoid VRS and they chopped up the air below significantly. Descended using figure 8's, forward while left throttle down, circles, etc...

They did look cool but even after going back to the stock pitch Maytech CF aftermarket ones the ability for the quad to have flex in the props hindered the stability in video and still pics with much wind at all.
I didn't get any props in any of the videos due to the stiffness of the CF though.

Unless there was a specific DJI tested/manufactured prop that has been thoroughly tested with the P4P I'd steer clear of them.

I much prefer the stock props on all my quads. No difference in battery life/run time with stock or CF.

Just my take on them, your mileage my differ and you might have different experiences with yours but that is my observations regarding CF props.

I purchased a set of P-4 carbon Fiber blades & the hubs that come with them for $119. I purchased the blades to get rid of the spring setup, plus there lighter & stronger with less flex & that should help in my range . I had around 2 hours on them. I never hit the blades on anything . I went to takeoff & the P-4 Drone started to roll over. I tried again & the same thing. I calibrated the compass . Same thing. Then I got a warning loose or missing propeller. One of the hubs broke loose to the bond that attaches them to the blades. You could hold the center hub & rotate the blade. I'm so lucky. I fly my first 1 1/2 mile on takeoff & landing over a giant lake.
I purchased two sets of carbon fiber props and exactly half of them, one in each dual pack, was way out of balance. I finally got them all balanced but after reading here, I may retire them, unused.
Thanks for the info.
Jim
WA5TEF

I purchased a set of P-4 carbon Fiber blades & the hubs that come with them for $119. I purchased the blades to get rid of the spring setup, plus there lighter & stronger with less flex & that should help in my range . I had around 2 hours on them. I never hit the blades on anything . I went to takeoff & the P-4 Drone started to roll over. I tried again & the same thing. I calibrated the compass . Same thing. Then I got a warning loose or missing propeller. One of the hubs broke loose to the bond that attaches them to the blades. You could hold the center hub & rotate the blade. I'm so lucky. I fly my first 1 1/2 mile on takeoff & landing over a giant lake.
...Rick, what was the av weight of these props, I also purchased a set of Carbon Fiber Reinforced props and found
them to be an av of 1.4g Heavier than the OEM props, also they would Red-Line the Tach when in Sport Mode...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Sorry for the delay. I purchased them to :
1. get rid of the spring setup.
2. stiffer blade holds there airfoil shape better.
The center drive hub separated from the blade allowing the blade to rotate with the motor still. That's nothing to do with carbon fiber. It's a poorly built carbon fiber prop./ RIPOFF

Sorry for the delay. I purchased them to :
1. get rid of the spring setup.
2. stiffer blade holds there airfoil shape better.
The center drive hub separated from the blade allowing the blade to rotate with the motor still. That's nothing to do with carbon fiber. It's a poorly built carbon fiber prop./ RIPOFF
...Rick that was my guess with your description, would Really appreciate the weight of those props, TIA...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

WOW this is crazy . the stock props were 11.6
The carbon Fiber 13.7
I even think the Aluminum hub with the C/F is heaver than the stock spring assy.

WOW this is crazy . the stock props were 11.6
The carbon Fiber 13.7
I even think the Aluminum hub with the C/F is heaver than the stock spring assy.
...Rick, Thanks for the nfo! were these DJI Branded or another Mfg..?
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

Drone World Look up there site. They advertise a Falcon custom P-4 & use these blades on it. They told me AFTER the failure they discourage selling the Carbon Fiber blades . BULL . They are sending me a return envelope but I haven't seen it yet. $115 plus $15 shipping for 2 hours & almost cost me my Drone. I wonder how many Drones were lost like this. Never found or the blades destroyed on impacted not realizing that the blade caused the crash. The owner/ pilot would never know what happened. NEVER AGAIN !!!!!!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT