Overview of AeroScope, a New DJI System to Track and Identify Drones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet your PC/phone/router/etc are chinese made or with chinese components. Do you worry about your security. furthermore, i bet your underwear and clothes are made in china, do you worry about the chemicals did to your body?
True story...us Govt doesn’t use USB memory sticks...makes had embedded malicious code...only the niave fluff this off...it’s fact, it’s real.

I've heard these wacky conspiracy theories a hundred times and they just don't stack up.
DJI aren't interested in your personal data or your images or videos.
The DJI app allows for two-way communication to allow for checking of firmware updates etc but that's about it.
If you have some reason to want to be super secret, it's easy enough to fly with a wifi only tablet anyway.

Reactions: JJErrico and Numone
I just don't know what anyone would hope to get out of ME. Nothing to hide. They'd die of boredom. First of all I use a wifi tablet for flying. Second, I don't use that tablet for anything else at all, including and especially banking or anything else I actually care about.

I suspect I'm not the only one who's life doesn't exactly hold the secrets behind the Higgs Boson particle.

So, by extension, what would they put so much time, effort, energy and resources into trying to find, from such a limited audience as those that fly DJI drones?

Reactions: Numone
Its your rumba vacuum you need to worry about. It’s uploading the layout of your home.

Ah crap. I keep forgetting that. So that's it then... My vacuum is plotting to take over my living room and I had to find out about it on a drone forum.

I hope it doesn't find a way to climb up into my recliner or I'll be really upset.

Your claim that “AeroScope does not capture video part”.

The DJI AeroScope white paper claims that the system captures radio frequency transmission to local receivers using existing UA antennas and modified C2 or video link protocols including one or more open standards (presumably 802.11 and/or WiFi broadcast protocol for DJI products. It is also separately revealed that the telemetry data is acquired directly from the video downlink stream.

It is evident that the video downlink is what is used by AeroScope to obtain the telemetry so it wouldnt be unreasonable to suspect the video might be available.
It would be unreasonable to assume that they would be collecting the video.
  1. The video feed is encrypted and is a separate data stream from the telemetry data
  2. Assuming they could decrypt the video stream, it's not a 4K stream. It's a lower resolution feed with a lower bitrate.
  3. No one wants to see your video, his video, my video. It's not that important.

It would be unreasonable to assume that they would be collecting the video.
  1. The video feed is encrypted and is a separate data stream from the telemetry data
  2. Assuming they could decrypt the video stream, it's not a 4K stream. It's a lower resolution feed with a lower bitrate.
  3. No one wants to see your video, his video, my video. It's not that important.
We are likely at crossed purposes here. To
Be clear I am not suggesting DJI might have a particular interest in collecting our downlinkwd video.

I have an interest in the technical implementation of Awroscope. Your claim that aeroscope does not capture video caught my attention, purely as I was interested to learn what, if anything, you knew about the actual operation of the system.

The telemetry is in fact part of the FPV downlink. From the white paper it is evident that the FPV downlink also contains other data including the AC S/N and the homepoint.

As to you your observations concerning the encryption, if the DJI can strip out the telemetry (we know it is sent in the same data stream as the video) why might you suspect the video would not be available? Clearly it must be.

I've heard these wacky conspiracy theories a hundred times and they just don't stack up.
DJI aren't interested in your personal data or your images or videos.
The DJI app allows for two-way communication to allow for checking of firmware updates etc but that's about it.
If you have some reason to want to be super secret, it's easy enough to fly with a wifi only tablet anyway.
As always ...a pleasure talking with you

We are likely at crossed purposes here. To
Be clear I am not suggesting DJI might have a particular interest in collecting our downlinkwd video.

I have an interest in the technical implementation of Awroscope. Your claim that aeroscope does not capture video caught my attention, purely as I was interested to learn what, if anything, you knew about the actual operation of the system.

The telemetry is in fact part of the FPV downlink. From the white paper it is evident that the FPV downlink also contains other data including the AC S/N and the homepoint.

As to you your observations concerning the encryption, if the DJI can strip out the telemetry (we know it is sent in the same data stream as the video) why might you suspect the video would not be available? Clearly it must be.
At a technical level, DJI could capture the video stream. DJI has not released any information to indicate that the AeroScope system could or would capture video.

At a technical level, DJI could capture the video stream. DJI has not released any information to indicate that the AeroScope system could or would capture video.
We are back to (or probably best described as still at) where we started- all I was saying is that it would be seemingly possible to capture the video. Agreed the detail is scant, that is typical of DJI though.

Its your rumba vacuum you need to worry about. It’s uploading the layout of your home.
Worked with the IRobot folks (makers of the Roomba) of course are an American company who built one of the first ground combat drones... If memory serves me correctly it was called the GATOR....it went crazy in the field with a M60 light machine gun mounted on it, when some Raven class iv drone RF cosite interference took it over...that was fun figuring that one out

Hi everyone, I'm trying to find a company near me in la habra heights CA, that can install my argtex range extender that I got today. I'm right on the border of Los Angeles/Orange County lines.

There is no mechanism that brings our telemetry data off our machines to DJI.
Your Phantom and controller have a range of only a few kilometres.
How do you think they could send your telemetry to DJI and why do you think DJI would have any interest in your telemetry?

They are communist Chinese and everything they do is for some advantage for them. Who knows why and DJI will never tell. (Anything)
Jim
WA5TEF

They are communist Chinese and everything they do is for some advantage for them. Who knows why and DJI will never tell. (Anything)
That's like saying that everyone in the US is just like the president.
It's over simplistic and is much more wrong than it's right.
China has a population of 1.4 billion (4 x the population of the US) and "they" are all kinds of people.
To try to paint them all with the same brush is a big mistake.

Meta4 then your point being what? You mean they are not communist or are they actually trying to not influence our country. I challenge you as. DJI employee to prove me wrong!!

Reactions: Slickvolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119