Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Oregon State Parks?

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by NateTheGreat24, May 25, 2016.

1. NateTheGreat24

I can't seem to find anything online about Oregon drone laws, or for Oregon State Park drone laws. Does anyone have any official insight? I know I'm Washington you cannot fly in any state park without permission, it's a blanket coverage law for all state parks. I just want to make sure I'm following the laws.

2. PainWhisperer

I captured some great Oregon coastal footage. I stopped at the outside of a Oregon State Park and flew my drone. Before I did, I drove in the park, looked at the regulations and found no regulations forbidding the use of UAS or any other form of aircraft. If there we're any such laws, I would have A LOT of questions as to the legality of them enforced along the coast. For instance, how can you stop a drone from being flown over a State Park and not a helicopter, plane, blah, blah, blah? Second, how high up would a State Park legally claim as their airspace? Third, how far out in the ocean would the State Park claim as their's? And a whole lot more.

3. Phantom of the Gorge

4. scotttro

I just got an email answer to the question of rules for drones in OR state parks directly from them. The answer I got was: "At his point, you would have to check with each park. We are still working on state wide rules for drones." So I guess call before you go is the rule in OR.

5. finlayson

Smith Rock State Park (north of Bend, in central Oregon) has explicitly banned drones. (There were 'no drones' signs there when I visited last year.) Other Oregon State Parks - I don't know...

6. Helihover

Interesting. I don't really fly in this area, but will investigate these rules. I was unaware of any Oregon drone rules at all untill reading this and I'm constantly searching. Any of these state rules must be approved by the FAA, so I'm courious if they are. There are several states ATM trying to make their own laws on drones. Overall, these rules look to be fair, but who is making these rules? It's surely not the FAA, they all ready have.

7. Phantom of the Gorge

It's probably like any other "rule making agency", they might not win in a court of law but they can make things difficult for you during the process. At minimum they could restrict you (the operator) from being IN the park while operating but might not be able to prevent you from flying into the areas while the operator remains outside, good luck maintaining LOS operation though.

8. Phantomh2x

This is what I got back in regards to specific park.

Thanks for checking. This email covers the requested activity at Ecola State Park. Other OPRD properties, such as those with Snowy Plover Management Areas, will have different conditions and restrictions. Under no circumstances are UAS to be flown in Western Snowy Plover Management Areas from March 15 through September 15. Please see more information on Western Snowy Plover Management Areas here:Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: Stewardship Western Snowy Plover and the Oregon Coast

Unmanned Aircraft Systems are still new enough that we are managing their use with prudent requirements and good judgement rather than hard-and-fast rules. Generally, we look at whether a proposed activity involving UAS interferes with park visitors, threatens property, or could harm a natural/cultural resource.

Know Where to Fly

• UAS must be flown away from any structures, trees, or overhead obstacles.

• Flying must comply with all FAA regulations and guidance. Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Protecting Wildlife and the Environment

• Do not fly over or near wildlife. Intentionally disturbing animals during breeding, nesting, rearing, or other critical life functions is not allowed.

Fly Safely, Stay in Control

• Keep your UAS in your sight at all times.

• Keep your UAS away from populated and noise-sensitive areas such as campgrounds, trailheads, and visitor centers.

• Remain 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property including but not limited to parking lots, trail heads, restrooms, picnic shelters, park offices, park shop yards, park utility buildings, and heavily traveled roadways.

• Do not interfere with other recreational users; yield to people who were there before you.

• Obey all privacy laws.

Letting us know ahead of time is always the best idea, and is appreciated. As long as you follow the above guidelines, there should be no issue. One additional restriction: The refueling of UAS powered by petroleum products is not allowed on the beach, near water or in vegetation.

Please call if questions.

9. Phantom of the Gorge

Thanks for the info. It sounds rather liberal in its policy, hopefully it stays that way.

Sent from my SM-J700T using PhantomPilots mobile app