Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Oregon State Parks?

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by NateTheGreat24, May 25, 2016.

1. NateTheGreat24

I can't seem to find anything online about Oregon drone laws, or for Oregon State Park drone laws. Does anyone have any official insight? I know I'm Washington you cannot fly in any state park without permission, it's a blanket coverage law for all state parks. I just want to make sure I'm following the laws.

2. PainWhisperer

I captured some great Oregon coastal footage. I stopped at the outside of a Oregon State Park and flew my drone. Before I did, I drove in the park, looked at the regulations and found no regulations forbidding the use of UAS or any other form of aircraft. If there we're any such laws, I would have A LOT of questions as to the legality of them enforced along the coast. For instance, how can you stop a drone from being flown over a State Park and not a helicopter, plane, blah, blah, blah? Second, how high up would a State Park legally claim as their airspace? Third, how far out in the ocean would the State Park claim as their's? And a whole lot more.

3. Phantom of the Gorge

4. scotttro

I just got an email answer to the question of rules for drones in OR state parks directly from them. The answer I got was: "At his point, you would have to check with each park. We are still working on state wide rules for drones." So I guess call before you go is the rule in OR.

5. finlayson

Smith Rock State Park (north of Bend, in central Oregon) has explicitly banned drones. (There were 'no drones' signs there when I visited last year.) Other Oregon State Parks - I don't know...

6. Helihover

Interesting. I don't really fly in this area, but will investigate these rules. I was unaware of any Oregon drone rules at all untill reading this and I'm constantly searching. Any of these state rules must be approved by the FAA, so I'm courious if they are. There are several states ATM trying to make their own laws on drones. Overall, these rules look to be fair, but who is making these rules? It's surely not the FAA, they all ready have.

7. Phantom of the Gorge

It's probably like any other "rule making agency", they might not win in a court of law but they can make things difficult for you during the process. At minimum they could restrict you (the operator) from being IN the park while operating but might not be able to prevent you from flying into the areas while the operator remains outside, good luck maintaining LOS operation though.