Options for getting out of tree

Home Depot....35 ft lift rents for $235 for 4 hours, trim your tree or paint your house while you have it....

I use a Bow and Arrow. I drilled a hole through one of the arrows for the string to go through, and made a rubber tip for the end. I use survey string which is pretty strong! Have done that 2 times already with success.

Make an account on geocaching.com (it's free).
From the home page choose: 'Play' then 'Find a geocache' then 'Add filters'.
Search for a geocache nearby with a terrain-value of 5 (tree-climbing).
Look which persons found and logged this geocache, they must have climbing gear (and of course the owner of this geocache).
Send them a message for help.

Reactions: Digdat0 and CCrew
Having helped retrieve RC planes from trees more times than I care to think about. On the average weekend we have 1 or 2 planes get stuck in trees at our AMA RC club.

These are the methods we use.

Sake the tree, works on small trees sometimes.

Cut down the tree, sometimes we have cut 2 or 3 as trees hang up on each other.

Crossbow or bow and arrow, with line attached, used to loop over branch then bend branch down, or slide up against model and carefully move out the branch. Messenger sand filled bag and throw rope works as well.

Snow rake extensions, sometimes up to 80' tall often more than one at the same time, to stiffen up the tube when really tall.

Wait for the wind to blow it down, sometimes works, especially in stormy weather.

Climbing is a last resort.

Good luck, be careful.
Hi, so i recently got a drone (X5SC) for my birthday. Yesterday i was flying it around with a nice weather. Decided it would be a good idea to fly high to get some nice video footage but then a stong gust of wind came and pushed my drone far away. It flew into the trees and its about 6m/20ft up. cant throw rocks at it or shoot a slingshot because under the tree are thick bushes and the drone is at the top of the tree. The tree also has quite alot of lower branches which you cant see/shoot through. Any way i can get it down because i dont want to lose my birthday gift :/ Thanks in advance!

Hi, so i recently got a drone (X5SC) for my birthday. Yesterday i was flying it around with a nice weather. Decided it would be a good idea to fly high to get some nice video footage but then a stong gust of wind came and pushed my drone far away. It flew into the trees and its about 6m/20ft up. cant throw rocks at it or shoot a slingshot because under the tree are thick bushes and the drone is at the top of the tree. The tree also has quite alot of lower branches which you cant see/shoot through. Any way i can get it down because i dont want to lose my birthday gift :/ Thanks in advance!
If it's only 20' go borrow a 24' extension ladder

Second attempt, using my nephews traditional longbow:

Took a few tries, in one of which the fishing line broke and the arrow went, well, far. But after a few shots, we managed to shoot a wire over the branch holding the bebop and we could pull it out and it tumbled down some 100 ft:

Only visible damage is a prop, but we'll have to wait for it to dry out before knowing if the rest still works (it had been raining).

Against our own better judgement, we decided to walk around in the forest (which is private property btw, no people there) to see if we could possibly find the lost arrow. And sure enough, after a few minutes my brother saw this:

Reactions: Reed L and Digdat0
I had the same problem, I ended up calling a window washing company. They came an hour after I called, with a big ladder and took the drone out of the tree.

Some of you may recall my Syma X5C stuck at top of 50' tree & trying to use my 3 day old Phantom 3 advanced to locate the Syma;s exact location, I found the Syma alright but parked my new Phantom in the same tree!
When I heard the dreaded ESC scream I immediately did the CSC move & my Bird flipped over & nestled herself comfortable next to the Syma. We did find a "drone catcher" from a local Wall climbing co. for $100.00 basic fee guaranteed recovery. Returning to the forest with our wall climbing hero, I found the Phantom battery first, & about 20' from base of the tree, on her back was my Phantom, nestled on a bed of cedar needles with no damage whatsoever! The only explanation that makes sense is the trees are so close together, with branches so thick you can't see up more than a few feet, she slowly made her way to ground pausing on limbs on the way down.
The Syma? Its still parked up there & impossible to reach.
I do have a short Phantom video of my serach attempt & my well executed "parking a phantom in a tree" video but just to embarrassed to load it!
ps- Wall climbing companies seem to be the best shot if you can't get your drone down by the above methods.

Second attempt, using my nephews traditional longbow:

Took a few tries, in one of which the fishing line broke and the arrow went, well, far. But after a few shots, we managed to shoot a wire over the branch holding the bebop and we could pull it out and it tumbled down some 100 ft:

Only visible damage is a prop, but we'll have to wait for it to dry out before knowing if the rest still works (it had been raining).

Against our own better judgement, we decided to walk around in the forest (which is private property btw, no people there) to see if we could possibly find the lost arrow. And sure enough, after a few minutes my brother saw this:

Good shot, Robin!! If I bring my Mathews bow to the bush, I intend to be skinning dinner soon. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Hook and ladder.. Haha

RedHotPoker

I called my buddy
Not a phantom, but a heli!
But here is how it went down
( I could not physically SEE the heli, but I knew ABOUT where it was, I was 20' or so off, lol, but he seen it as soon as he was above the trees! )

Still flying her today! Lol
Great way to try out his new boom truck! Luckily he is my closest friend, and charged me only a hand shake!
Good luck!

J Dot
:cool:
Take care, fly safe!

Reactions: dirkclod
I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if this idea has already been posted. Go to a Home Depot and buy several 10ft sections of pvc pipe (about $2.00) for a 10ft and a couple of connectors to connect the sections together. I've gotten my Syma X5C stuck in trees around my house multiple times and this has always worked for me. Cheap and easy.

Last edited:
One of mine got stuck about 40ft up a tree. I bought some thin rope from Lowe's and tied a large 22mm socket to the end and threw it up and hooked the branch and shook until it fell down

It's at 58 feet and very nicely placed at a flat fork in the branches. 58 feet is pretty high. If I had a friend with a bucket truck, like the one pictured, I would be happier than I am now.
We tried several things. Nothing worked.

Sent from my SM-N930P using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was flying for a few minutes, and decided to fly into the woods along a path under three canopy. I used my phone, a new Samsung galaxy note 7. It has two automated dimming applications ruuning. I did not realize this until later. I had the display on auto dim and I had Twilight, an app, running auto according to the sunlight. Both interfered with the visual clarity of my phone. I had ventured down the path about 100 feet or so and had started back. There were low braches and things to avoid. I was flying very low at about 4 feet.
The low battery warning beeped and was activated. I was 10 feet from finishing, I am telling you. The light was poor under the cover of the forest. It went up fast. I immediately pushed down on the elevation, which, was ignored. It had gone into Return Home Mode. I tried to cancel a couple times but fumbled and it got stuck. So sad.
This is where I tell myself life experiences eventuality add up to lots of wisdom. I am not sure when, but something tells me I won't be doing this exact thing again. I will have other stupid mishaps, maybe, but not this exact one.

Sent from my SM-N930P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl