Options for getting out of tree

Reaction score
during RTH on low battery my DJI got stuck in tree. I found it but now sure how to get it down... Any creative ideas on getting it down?

during RTH on low battery my DJI got stuck in tree. I found it but now sure how to get it down... Any creative ideas on getting it down?
When all else fails, search locally for an arborist or tree surgeon that has a good climber.
Those guys are experts and have probably saved a few Phantoms already.

Reactions: flpholt
I hired a professional tree climber to get mine once
017926a5ab230170daf897c8ff15216c_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a bunch of the 10 foot blue concrete leveling poles. They snap together easily and you could hold 60' while up on a ladder easy enough. Just attach a hook on the end and grab it. I used to use them to guide my vacuum for cleaning chimneys also back in the day. Probably the 6 footers would be better for your problem.

Snap (Button) Poles

I was going to build one of those elastic band guns (google it) but after calling arborists, fire dept, guy with a crane(crane guy wanted-$1,000.00) I talked to a Rock climbing wall co. who had a guy on staff who specialized in RC planes, Helios & drone rescue, average cost- $100.00.
Seems the rock climber guys can climb anything!

I was going to build one of those elastic band guns (google it) but after calling arborists, fire dept, guy with a crane(crane guy wanted-$1,000.00) I talked to a Rock climbing wall co. who had a guy on staff who specialized in RC planes, Helios & drone rescue, average cost- $100.00.

Good call!

how far up is it? i mean, can you not climb to it? I'd post an ad in craigslist. $40 to the first guy to safely retrieve it.

Reactions: beakeru2
I have a bunch of the 10 foot blue concrete leveling poles. They snap together easily and you could hold 60' while up on a ladder easy enough. Just attach a hook on the end and grab it. I used to use them to guide my vacuum for cleaning chimneys also back in the day. Probably the 6 footers would be better for your problem.

Snap (Button) Poles

Those look like a good investment. How would you attach a hook?
And what kind of hook? I looked in a hardware store not long ago thinking about the same thing. Could not find an adequate hook.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So do 10 year olds, and they work cheaper.

Just be aware that if you are using a long pole the weight of the drone will be significantly increased at full reach......

I'd probably bet that a p3 on the end of a 20ft pole would be quite a weight to hold up, if at all possible. I think I read somewhere that weight triples for every 3ft it is held horizontally away from the body. Try holding a bag of sugar close to your body and then see how log you can hold it for at arm's length. Now imagine your phantom at the end of a pole that's 20ft +

Reactions: PunaPhantom
Ax ;)

You did say creative, lol. Seriously though, good luck getting it down.

Just be aware that if you are using a long pole the weight of the drone will be significantly increased at full reach......

I'd probably bet that a p3 on the end of a 20ft pole would be quite a weight to hold up, if at all possible. I think I read somewhere that weight triples for every 3ft it is held horizontally away from the body. Try holding a bag of sugar close to your body and then see how log you can hold it for at arm's length. Now imagine your phantom at the end of a pole that's 20ft +
Doubt he'd be going totally horizontal. Looks like pretty much straight up- but that is a consideration and if I was using s 20'+ pole I'd get help to hold it.
I'd also position a folded up blanket or have two people hold a blanket or tarp up to catch it if if falls after dislodging it from where it's caught.
"It takes a village"....

Having helped retrieve RC planes from trees more times than I care to think about. On the average weekend we have 1 or 2 planes get stuck in trees at our AMA RC club.

These are the methods we use.

Sake the tree, works on small trees sometimes.

Cut down the tree, sometimes we have cut 2 or 3 as trees hang up on each other.

Crossbow or bow and arrow, with line attached, used to loop over branch then bend branch down, or slide up against model and carefully move out the branch. Messenger sand filled bag and throw rope works as well.

Snow rake extensions, sometimes up to 80' tall often more than one at the same time, to stiffen up the tube when really tall.

Wait for the wind to blow it down, sometimes works, especially in stormy weather.

Climbing is a last resort.

Good luck, be careful.

The bow & arrow tip got me thinking & I just called a local Archery school, They offer a service to retrieve planes, drones, kites, etc stuck at heights, He told me that 40 to 60' seems to be the average height that the owner won't climb, can't say as I would climb a 60' tree either. They shoot a light weight line over branches close to the plane/drone & drag up a heavier line, same as the catapult, elastic/tube shooters.
So far, almost 100% success rate.(he doesn't count the RC plane that when pulled out of tree, flew head on into a huge rock & disintegrated!
Archery schools may be a good contact to have in your phone!

just cut it down. if that's no an option, i had a smaller drone get caught on a tree limb one time and i used my AR-15 (assault rifle) to shoot the limb. took about 10 shots but it finally fell.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20