Only flown up 150ft so far

Yeah, excess wind was bad with my electric heli. Once over the tree tops, the wind caught it and blew it away and out of transmitter range. Then it dropped like a rock and crashed into someone's roof blocks away. I went walking to a house where there was a lot of commotion with barking dogs figuring "This is the place." Owner handed it to me in pieces of dangling wires over the fence. Bounced off his roof and onto the pool deck's concrete and that was it.

The real secret is don't go anywhere until you're comfortable with it. Take your time and ease into it.

I've only been flying these things since June but I've flown RC helis for more than twenty years and these are about the easiest thing I've ever flown. The thing is, it isn't the flying that's difficult, it's all the little nuances and learning the software that's the hard part and takes time to learn it properly.

So, just take your time and ease into it. Before you know it, you'll learn things faster and faster and in a relatively short time you'll wonder how you learned it so fast.

Have fun, and fly safely.

Bud

Hay all!! Ok well like the title says, 150ft is my max height achievement so far. Ha! And even then I was like, "OMG OMG OMG!!!" Hahhaa

I'm a super noob at drones and I'm actually a bit paranoid to make it fly too high right now. When will I come out of this shell!? Lol!!

In all honesty, I'm really trying to build up a comfort level of flying before I push barriers. How long were you flying low and slow before you started to feel comfortable enough to push your limits? Thanks all in advance! ;)

It's none of my business how high you flight, but I would like to know where on earth you live where the tree tops are at 1,145 feet.

Bud

Hang in there and build up your confidence is good advice. I'm pretty conservative and being my second phantom, had a reasonable idea of what the pitfalls were from previous experience. It has taken me a few months to fully trust the technology and understand what can and can't be done. Took mine out yesterday for a puckering 3000 mtr flight at 350 mtrs high to see how far I could get before my knees started buckling and brought it back. I need that sort of height to clear the forest canopy and before I get flogged for going that high, the nearest airport is 30 Kim's away and I live in an area where the only things in the sky are the birds and me.

For some reason going high does not bother me when the drone is close but I like to stay below 200' just in case the wind kicks up.

I've been struggling with estimating tree heights. I fly from my yard and have lots of open fields with a lot of old growth cottonwoods and a few pine trees separating some irrigation canals and a railroad. I flew over one of the largest trees today at 160 feet high and about 1200 feet out and didn't realize I was directly above it until I review the sd card video. Hard to tell in winter with no leaves but I think I was about 20 feet or so above it but the video was a shocker and I think I got lucky. I could see the drone and from that distance I thought I was much higher than the tree from a distance, it's really hard to judge this stuff. While hovering I started panning the camera to orientate and checkout the view then looked back up in the sky and for the life of could not see the drone. I used RTH for the first time other than testing.

The tree is a big SOB, this is my wife standing at the trunk but I guess it's lower than 160 feet :)

1464666_10204248113315754_3039011632196425205_n.jpg

It's none of my business how high you flight, but I would like to know where on earth you live where the tree tops are at 1,145 feet.

Bud

Nah, the trees average about 25-30 mtrs but the further out I fly, the higher I need to go, hence the stupid height. Surrounded by old growth Karri and Jarrah, a couple of hundred thousand hectares of prime bush fire material. Flying the same distance down at the beach has me about 100mtrs high to clear the cliff tops.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 298
For some reason going high does not bother me when the drone is close but I like to stay below 200' just in case the wind kicks up.

I've been struggling with estimating tree heights. I fly from my yard and have lots of open fields with a lot of old growth cottonwoods and a few pine trees separating some irrigation canals and a railroad. I flew over one of the largest trees today at 160 feet high and about 1200 feet out and didn't realize I was directly above it until I review the sd card video. Hard to tell in winter with no leaves but I think I was about 20 feet or so above it but the video was a shocker and I think I got lucky. I could see the drone and from that distance I thought I was much higher than the tree from a distance, it's really hard to judge this stuff. While hovering I started panning the camera to orientate and checkout the view then looked back up in the sky and for the life of could not see the drone. I used RTH for the first time other than testing.

The tree is a big SOB, this is my wife standing at the trunk but I guess it's lower than 160 feet :)

View attachment 72207

That is some kind of tree, may have to start a #showusyourtree thread.

Reactions: Aotearoa Kiwi
Hay all!! Ok well like the title says, 150ft is my max height achievement so far. Ha! And even then I was like, "OMG OMG OMG!!!" Hahhaa

I'm a super noob at drones and I'm actually a bit paranoid to make it fly too high right now. When will I come out of this shell!? Lol!!

In all honesty, I'm really trying to build up a comfort level of flying before I push barriers. How long were you flying low and slow before you started to feel comfortable enough to push your limits? Thanks all in advance! ;)
I made three or four runs once or twice a day for a couple days low and slow around the parking lot. Then I went straight up the next day to 150 feet one around the circle and then came directly back down manually. The day after that I went for it and took it out of sight 3/8 of a mile from me. Used RTH, It worked perfect. For me I can clear things in my area easily with 150 foot altitude.

I didn't go over 100' for a few flights, myself. Its been over 350' once, but not since. There's not a good reason for high altitudes for me though. Its too flat around here. Watching dirty birds YouTube videos really loosened me up. Give them a look

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

For some reason, height has never bothered me (other than in breezy conditions). I won't mention what my record height is because I don't want to get jumped on here, but I will say it was before regulations made it illegal. (Yes, I know it was still irresponsible, especially considering the nearby interstate highway that is occasionally speed checked by police helicopters.)

I figure it this way...although it did get chased by a hawk once, the only real dangers to my bird are all firmly anchored to the ground. Up in the air, above those dangers, it's all clear, open space. Hell, my only two crashes were when I first got my drone and started practicing low and slow. (Both times I hit the side of my own house! Lol!) Also, I figure there'll be no difference if my bird falls from 50' or 400'. Either way, the sudden stop at the end of the freefall is going to end my hobby for a long time.

For me. It seems to be distance that makes my body orifices pucker. Although I usually fly using the screen on my tablet, if I fly too far away and I can't look up and find my bird with my own eyes, I have to fight the rising panic and force myself to go back to my screen. I have no idea why because anything above 150' or so I can't see my bird either but that doesn't bother me. I'm thinking it's because at least I know where it is.

I hit 150 yesterday and 200 today!

Reactions: Nighthawk5112
Been nothing but rain and snow on the east coat. Driving me nuts!!! I want to get out and fly to test new heights and all but I've been grounded for a few days now. Uggggg

I imagine that this has been posted numerous times however..... This app provides the projected wind speed at altitude. I was surprised to see that on some days the Wind speed at ground level was 10 and at 300' it was 25.

UAV Forecast

I imagine that this has been posted numerous times however..... This app provides the projected wind speed at altitude. I was surprised to see that on some days the Wind speed at ground level was 10 and at 300' it was 25.

UAV Forecast
Yes it's on msinger's list of apps, hoping to try it myself as I need to get some serious height where I live, and watching it it in atti mode doesn't cut it. Another hot day where you live....we had 40C last week and it invariably heads across to you. You can thank me later....

It's all about experience, you'll fly and want to keep pushing the limits. Sooner or later you'll be at 400ft :). Plus you should not be that paranoid because the P4 has RTH which has saved my drone more than once. Good luck

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart