Old guy yelled at me for flying, couldnt hear what he said over the surf

Reaction score
I was flying my mavic and I was about to land and some old ( MOD REMOVED ) decided to yell at me for flying, I could not hear him at all over the waves but he saod no drones for somthing like park? I dont know please help thanks, im staying in kona hawaii

Last edited by a moderator:
No official signs that say No Drones right ?....a public beach right ?......i'd check with the police to be sure you could continue to fly their and then ignore him or any body else....just stay away from people and fly On and enjoy !

Reactions: Roroman13
No official signs that say No Drones right ?....a public beach right ?......i'd check with the police to be sure you could continue to fly their and then ignore him or any body else....just stay away from people and fly On and enjoy !

I am staying in kona and the resort doesnt say no drones i looked everywhere to see if i could not and how should i go about checking with the police? Thank you for your help!

I am staying in kona and the resort doesnt say no drones i looked everywhere to see if i could not and how should i go about checking with the police? Thank you for your help!
You should be doing your homework about flying at certain places before you even take off. Maybe there is a nfz or a tfr there and you don’t even know. Have you checked any sectionals to see if you are allowed to fly there?

Reactions: flyboy73
In Hawaii it’s quite popular for drones to be banned in most beaches. There are signs but if there aren’t you should be fine. I’ve flown in loads of places in Hawaii and I’ve only flown when I am sure i can. Be careful because you can be fined

A) Ask the front desk at the resort because you don't want to risk getting kicked out for something like this "IF" they have No Drones in their rules somewhere on the resort (they do own the property and can state as such)

B) drive down to the Police Dept and ask what local Drone/UAS ordinances are for the area.

I looked at the nfz and the tfr the last one was back in november of last year, So currently there are no Tfrs i looked at the resort rules and i didnt see anything about no drones and i think if i was gonna use logic i would make a big statement out of somthing like that. The new dji drones use geofencig to prevent you from flying where your not supposed to, and wont let you take off or they will ask you to check two boxes to say you are held responsible for your actions. But then again i could be wrong as we are human and are not perfict. Are there any good places to fly on the kona side of the island that Allow drones? Thank you guys for your help!

IMG_0585.jpg
IMG_0586.jpg

According to these two things there are no tfrs or airports etc nearby i think its just some grumpy old man but i will fin a new spot to fly thats close by

Reactions: BigAl07
Always a good idea to check the various authorities including the resort. Beyond that, I like to launch and land from a discrete location where there are no people. Even then, it’s not a bad idea to return to home at a high altitude and drop straight down.

The problem with asking some desk clerk at the resort is that you may get an uninformed opinion. I once asked an employee at a "Welcome Center" at a local waterfall if I could fly my drone there as long as I abided by the FAA guidelines and didn't fly around any people. She was very emphatic saying "Oh God, of course not ... it's not allowed". Then a week later I saw a YouTube video of a beautiful drone flight up and down the falls. I commented on the video and the creator of the video said he did the exact same thing as I did, only this time a different employee said "yes, no problem, go for it".

You really need to know the laws before you go. You can't get reliable information from workers, police officers, bystanders, or anyone else at the site. It is best if you can show them the law or where to get the correct information or they will make a guess at it.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The law in Hawaii is that drones are forbidden in state parks/beaches. In Oahu, drones are forbidden in local parks/beaches unless explicitly posted as being allowed. I don't know the local laws on the big island. Despite this, I have never seen the police enforce it, which doesn't mean it's allowed. I did a lot of research last year when I bought my Mavic and summarized it in this Google Earth file for Oahu, where I live and fly (yes, it's a hard life). The file is intended for the desktop version of Google Earth as the mobile versions are too brain dead. Just click on the location icons for pop-up descriptions. Oahu is particularly complicated because of all the heliports and military land. (Separate from FAA regulations, the military forbids any drone operations on or over military property, which encompass nearly half of Oahu.)

Attachments

• Recreational Drone Restrictions on Oahu.zip
    34.9 KB · Views: 247
I was flying my mavic and I was about to land and some old ( MOD REMOVED ) decided to yell at me for flying, I could not hear him at all over the waves but he saod no drones for somthing like park? I dont know please help thanks, im staying in kona hawaii

Remember that anywhere in the USA only the FAA controls the airspace. Other entities such as national parks, state parks, local parks and private property owners can control only what you do ON their property, not what you do OVER their property. Just don't take off, land or control your bird from the prohibited property and you're good, legally. That doesn't stop some AH from giving you grief and spoiling your enjoyment.

I've been hassled several times when I was flying legally from a public place. One time was so bad that a crazy guy was physically crowding me and waving his arms while shouting at me. Now I carry pepper spray for self defense, and I make sure to have my cell phone in my front pocket where I can turn on video recording in case of an altercation like that. The video could be very important in case I actually use the pepper spray and need to prove it was in self defense, because if not it could be a crime.

I often take off and land from someplace without other people around just to avoid hassles.

Remember that anywhere in the USA only the FAA controls the airspace. Other entities such as national parks, state parks, local parks and private property owners can control only what you do ON their property, not what you do OVER their property. Just don't take off, land or control your bird from the prohibited property and you're good, legally. That doesn't stop some AH from giving you grief and spoiling your enjoyment.

I've been hassled several times when I was flying legally from a public place. One time was so bad that a crazy guy was physically crowding me and waving his arms while shouting at me. Now I carry pepper spray for self defense, and I make sure to have my cell phone in my front pocket where I can turn on video recording in case of an altercation like that. The video could be very important in case I actually use the pepper spray and need to prove it was in self defense, because if not it could be a crime.

I often take off and land from someplace without other people around just to avoid hassles.
So as long as you launch and land outside the National Park boundaries, it’s legal (assuming no FAA restrictions on the airspace)?

I've been hassled several times when I was flying legally from a public place. One time was so bad that a crazy guy was physically crowding me and waving his arms while shouting at me. Now I carry pepper spray for self defense, I make sure to have my cell phone in my front pocket where I can turn on video recording in case of an altercation like that. The video could be very important in case I actually use the pepper spray and need to prove it was in self defense, because if not it could be a crime.

This is why I'm selling one of my drones and maybe both of them. It has become politically incorrect to fly a drone and the hassles just are not worth it anymore. In CommieFornia where I live I am the ultimate hated person, I fly drones and am a gun owner - no one is a lower life form here than that. This state is ruled by hyper sensitive progressives that get in your face if you are not just like them. Having a drone here is worse than wearing Google Glass!

I check in advance to be sure I can fly legally. Having a Phantom 4 Pro and a Mavic Air, I will often fly the Mavic Air in places where there are many potential observers. They never notice the Mavic Air (a big advantage). You can fly legally and safely away from crowds, but you can't avoid drone phobia if they see you craft.

I am a Canadian and have read a lot about FAA regulations and expected to see drone usage much more controlled than what I observed on a trip to Hawaii in December. We went to Waikiki beach to watch the fireworks on New Years eve and I had to laugh when I counted over 20 sets of lights from drones over the water positioned to capture the beauiful display. Regulations? No one seemed to care. Another time we were at the blowhole, which is a very busy location and a fellow was launching a phantom right in the middle of the parking lot as cars were buzzing around looking for parking spots and several people walking by, totally oblivious to the potential hazards.

Last edited:
I looked at the nfz and the tfr the last one was back in november of last year, So currently there are no Tfrs i looked at the resort rules and i didnt see anything about no drones and i think if i was gonna use logic i would make a big statement out of somthing like that. The new dji drones use geofencig to prevent you from flying where your not supposed to, and wont let you take off or they will ask you to check two boxes to say you are held responsible for your actions. But then again i could be wrong as we are human and are not perfict. Are there any good places to fly on the kona side of the island that Allow drones? Thank you guys for your help!
GEO is an advisory feature and not a guarantee, just like Obstacle Avoidance is a safety festure and not a guarantee. :cool: Know where you are allowed to fly, and avoid obstacles yourself! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures