Oh no, first the Mavic now the Spark

Reaction score
Ok, I was intrigued by the Mavic and its portability was a great feature for flights to Europe where I intend to use my P3A most. However, the cost of the Mavic and the hit I would get on my near perfect P3A was enough for me to stop considering that foolish act. Now I see this Spark thing. Tiny, very good performance, super portable. I don't do much beyond a mile away anyway and it has a range of 1.2 miles. Priced close to what I might be able to get for my P3A and accessories. I'm intrigued again.

Ok, I was intrigued by the Mavic and its portability was a great feature for flights to Europe where I intend to use my P3A most. However, the cost of the Mavic and the hit I would get on my near perfect P3A was enough for me to stop considering that foolish act. Now I see this Spark thing. Tiny, very good performance, super portable. I don't do much beyond a mile away anyway and it has a range of 1.2 miles. Priced close to what I might be able to get for my P3A and accessories. I'm intrigued again.
DJI claims 1.2 miles. Real world is probably a quarter of that.

It's a selfie camera that flies, big deal it's been done already by others. I'll stick to the P3

The range in specs for other DJI drones are realistic and achievable - why would you expect this to be any different?
Well on the box of the P3S says 1.2 miles in range but I can only get 0.4 miles in distance. I don't know if it's because the newest firmware are limiting the range or what.

1.2 miles ?, and it's controlled by hand jestures. I want one of those cameras !!!!!! even 1/4 of that I still want one.
just the camera though the rest looks like a toy.

Well on the box of the P3S says 1.2 miles in range but I can only get 0.4 miles in distance. I don't know if it's because the newest firmware are limiting the range or what.
Check again.
The specs for the P3 Standard say:
Max Transmission Distance
FCC: 1000 m
CE: 500 m
That's 0.6 miles or 3280 feet and you have to be in a good interference free location to achieve it but plenty do and even further.

The Spark can reach 1.2 miles.

Reactions: Numone and Pharm
1.2 miles ?, and it's controlled by hand jestures. I want one of those cameras !!!!!! even 1/4 of that I still want one.
just the camera though the rest looks like a toy.
The range is ~10 ft when flying with hand gestures, 328 ft (100 m) distance & 164 ft (50 m) height when flying with a mobile device, or 1.2 miles FCC (500 m CE) when flying with the DJI Spark remote controller.

Reactions: Loz and Meta4
Check again.
The specs for the P3 Standard say:
Max Transmission Distance
FCC: 1000 m
CE: 500 m
That's 0.6 miles or 3280 feet and you have to be in a good interference free location to achieve it but plenty do and even further.

The Spark can reach 1.2 miles.
Oh... You right... I thought it says closed to a mile but it is actually less than a mile.

I think of the Spark the way I think of my GoPro cameras. If size/weight/ruggedness aren't a factor, I'll take a DSLR or full feature 4K video camera. When they are, I make do with the GoPro. Same with the Spark. I'll get one for hiking/biking and getting some cool shots in State Parks etc

Reactions: Indiana_pyro
DJI claims 1.2 miles. Real world is probably a quarter of that.

The real world in the USA is VLOS, much, much less than 1.2 miles. Based on unassisted vision, a quarter mile is probably a stretched limit.

I can see my phantom at over a mile away. I'm not following you.

Can you tell me your drone's orientation without looking at the DJI Go or DJI Go 4 App? Can you hear or distinguish the sound of potential manned aircraft, ultra-lights, gliders, or small planes from other noise in your area so as to avoid them. My guess your answer to both questions is NO. Seeing a "dot" in the sky is not the test. If you look at you app and look back up, how long does it take to reacquire your drone visually. Again, my bet is a long time if at all.

The range in specs for other DJI drones are realistic and achievable - why would you expect this to be any different?
Yes, in optimal conditions. I have yet to see a mavic get the range advertised. I haven't spent much time on it though.
The Phantoms are advertised as having a 3 mile range, it is very rare they can achieve that out of the box. I fly in some areas with little to no interference and have to use panel antennas to get anywhere close to three miles.
But if the spark can do 1.2 miles, that would be awesome for a little quad like that.
I built a 250 once and put a micro APM on it with GPS, it had RTH on signal loss ,low battery etc. Just like the DJI stuff. It was pretty fun. Dead accurate on RTH too. But the battery limited my distance to about 1/4 mile.

Can you tell me your drone's orientation without looking at the DJI Go or DJI Go 4 App? Can you hear or distinguish the sound of potential manned aircraft, ultra-lights, gliders, or small planes from other noise in your area so as to avoid them. My guess your answer to both questions is NO. Seeing a "dot" in the sky is not the test. If you look at you app and look back up, how long does it take to reacquire your drone visually. Again, my bet is a long time if at all.
Yes I can. I have a very bright strobe on the back of it and a red on the front.
I fly in a valley between mountain ranges where aircraft don't fly and there is no visual obstructions.
If I didn't have the camera feed, I wouldn't fly any farther. But I do. If it is disconnected, I use the RTH feature.
I still don't see your point.

Reactions: Numone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan