Obsidian or white?

I'd imagine the white would operate a bit cooler in bright sunlight, not that it matters.

Reactions: pa2x
Darker color much better and it’s more rare. You’ll know your drone from others

And to really trick it out, I suggest getting those flat gray blades with the yellow stripes. Looks a whole lot better than the shiny OEM blades.

Phantom-4-CNY-Limited-Edition-front-side.jpg

Too bad they haven't released the Chinese New Year version of the P4P...as far as I know.:D

The talk about the black P4s sold at Best Buy was that the plastic cracked faster - something to do with the pigments or something like that. Personally, I'd go for the white one because it blends in with the sky better and because it probably is a hair cooler running in hot climates like mine. It all come down to personal preference.

While I think the Obsidian looks good, black absorbs light and will cause the drone to heat up faster on hot days with high sun intensity. Also, the lower price of the white one is very nice.

There are many ways to change the color of your white drone. Fun to do also. For a lot let than $300, and having to buy batteries that match.

Do you color your props?

Last edited:
I liked the darker color much better, and not just b/c of the sexy looks in person, but when VLOS flying, it just is easier to pickup on against the sky.

Have there been any reported issues with the obsidian edition? Like stress cracks or anything? I haven’t heard any.

Have there been any reported issues with the obsidian edition? Like stress cracks or anything? I haven’t heard any.

Prior to my purchase, I researched hardcore for about 2 Months straight, only a couple of "I heard" comments, nothing to back it up however.

On the possible higher heat within the unit?. Well this could possibly hold some credibility on long hovers w hot direct sunlight (like when trying to get the exact right shot). But, have you ever flown the drone right over your head? Yep, tons of air movement. And speaking of air movement, I can't see how flying along at (ie) 35mph could possibly not dissipate any additional heat created by this effect.

I also monitor the Inspire Forums. Never once heard of an I2 owner that wants it in white b/c of a possible additional heat buildup within the bird. JS' ;)

Reactions: Jack Matthias
On the possible higher heat within the unit?. Well this could possibly hold some credibility on long hovers w hot direct sunlight (like when trying to get the exact right shot). But, have you ever flown the drone right over your head? Yep, tons of air movement. And speaking of air movement, I can't see how flying along at (ie) 35mph could possibly not dissipate any additional heat created by this effect.

I agree, in most locations the heat issue from being black is a non issue. The only time it might be an issue is in extreme heat, such as Arizona or Las Vegas type areas where it gets beyond the 104F recommended flight temperature for the craft and you need to fly. The black color may push you past the limit if you let the craft sit in the sun between flights. That situation may have more affect to the internal temp of the craft. The primary concern would be the battery temp, IMO. Also, after flight, the batteries may not cool down as fast to allow recharging if left in the sun, but I think that would be a rare occasion, such as an all day commercial shoot. In that case you'd have an easy-up shade anyway to shade-up. If you're careful about not leaving the batteries sitting in the sun, which is a normal precaution anyway, most people and circumstances would be OK with a black drone. I don't see much downside to the Obsidian color if that's what you like. I does look more professional IMO, if you plan to do commercial work.

I think the primary decision revolves around if you like the black (dark gray) color enough to pay more. I happen to prefer white for Phantoms because they are harder to see in the sky by others. You will also more likely to see the tips of black props in the camera view before white. I also believe white parts are more readily available at the DJI stores, if I ever needed body parts, such as that little door on the landing gear that some people lose occasionally. High capacity 5780mah batteries in black may be more expensive and harder to get from retailers too, such as B&H or Best Buy. I have 4 white 5350mah batteries that I use with my P4P. Those batteries are from my backup P4. Of course, nothing keeps you from using white batteries with a black craft, but it won't match, if that matters to anyone.

Last edited:
Finding it on the ground may be more difficult with darker colors.
Don’t know how birds will react in flight either

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT