Nvidia Shield Tablet Owners - Speak Up!

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to this hobby and still have many questions. I got a P3S 2-3 weeks ago, then an Nvidia Shield ...

I've tried both the Shield and an iPad Air and in all honesty, I am not too 'thrilled' about the Nvidia. I also am not an android person so maybe my opinion is a bit 'biased'.

The Shield commands very high ratings for these drones and yet, I am not so sure why.

My question is: Would the Nvidia Shield owners in this community be kind enough to share what they love (and not so much) about the Tablet?

Thank You.

What can I say- Great images, no flutter , no lag, no image crashing, no issues, with P3A
My routine- fire up bird, then RC, fire up shield, wait for icons to appear , THEN plug cord from RC into shield, 2 icons hi-lite- DJI go & Litchi, HIT app you want, "just once or always" will appear, Hit just once & go fly! (this takes all of 2 minutes, plus pre-flight checks)
My Nividia shield is dedicated to fly only.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
The only reason why I bought one was for the HDMI output (and when I had a P3S) and it has a fast processor. However, I have since upgraded to a P3A, but on my K1, this port is starting to get loose and I lose connection (mirror) with each use, rendering it pretty much useless when connected to HDMI goggles. I just recently purchased a new HDMI Mini to Micro cable, but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm hoping that the reason why the K1 HDMI port was having a bad connection was due to the HDMI adapter I was using. I also purchased a HDMI module for the R/C as a backup. I received that yesterday, but haven't installed it. The difference between the HDMI module output and the K1 HDMI output is that the module will only show the FPV and limited telemetry, whereas the K1 to output (goggles, monitor, etc) will be an exact mirror image. I guess the HDMI module output can be considered "better" as it would make it appear as though you were "flying" when you're using goggles. I'm not sure if this is possible with the K1 output.

The display sucks for outdoor usage (IMHO). I'm not sure if it's my anti-glare screen protector, but it's far too dim to use. Seems decent enough on overcast days, though.

Im using the original Shield... Works fine. Not a single operating issue. The screen is dim when directly in the sun. My early version is not the 3g model so i hotspot off my phone if i want location or data. I havent found a reason to change yet

Keep in mind, most people are going to compare Android devices to Android devices. Would I rather us my S7 phone or the Shield? The Shield any day of the week.

I think most people like the Shield as it's a powerhouse. It was made for gaming and has very good stats. It's an over-kill to run the DJI Go app (and other apps for the DJI products). I like it as it also has screen capture built in. However, there are several apps that can do this as well. The other feature some people like is the HDMI output in the Shield.

The draw back to the Shield is that it's difficult to see in the sun.

From what I read, the ipad's (I can't speak for versions) are _very_ good to use. I've only seen screen shots of the iOS Go app but I think it probably looks a little better than the Android version.

Radrich- Yes, if one fault with shield, that is it-, I don't even bother trying to fly on very bright, sunny days.
I did make a sunshield, but, id still rather fly, very early morning or late in the day.

I'm fairly new to this hobby and still have many questions. I got a P3S 2-3 weeks ago, then an Nvidia Shield ...

I've tried both the Shield and an iPad Air and in all honesty, I am not too 'thrilled' about the Nvidia. I also am not an android person so maybe my opinion is a bit 'biased'.

The Shield commands very high ratings for these drones and yet, I am not so sure why.

My question is: Would the Nvidia Shield owners in this community be kind enough to share what they love (and not so much) about the Tablet?

Thank You.
I have an iPad Mini 2 which I also found less than optimal in bright sun. So I bought an NVIDIA Shield K1 based upon the raves in this Forum. My conclusion is the same as JB63. It is okay, but that's all. The screen is indeed nice, but it is like switching from a Mac to a PC. If you have spent your life so far with iOS tablets (or if your favorite app such as Map Pilot doesn't work on Android), then stick with an iPad, get a sunshade, and learn to shade the screen with your back. Or, just don't fly in bright sun.
If you are starting from scratch, don't already have a tablet, and don't need Map Pilot (Drone Deploy works on Android) then the K1 is a fine choice.

What's great about Nividia Shield-
hooks up quickly, as long as I follow the right order, screen never drops out, no stuttering images.
very clear.
Hook up- Power up bird, then RC, wait for screen & THEN plug cable into monitor, instantly shows DJI GO & Litchi,
hit one you want to use, phrase "just once or always" comes up- hit "just once" & your ready to fly, everytime!
What's not so great-
No better than any other monitor I;ve tried in bright sun

Thank you Guys. I ended up getting an iPad mini 2 (with Cellular/GPS) and returned the Shield. I did not see any major difference between the two, so I opted for the platform I'm used to. Yes, there are many 'good things' about android devices, but not sure Im ready to switch yet.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan