NOTAM/TFR

Reaction score
Curious about how No Flies work. There's no flying alert due to Obama coming to town today and part of tomorrow. It's 32NM radius from LAX. Is that an altitude restriction or just outright ban for RC aircraft.

Cool thanks!

inside the TFR area, no flight of UAS is allowed per the NOTAM (under the PL 112-95 sect 336, you could make an argument that they decided not to regulate 'hobby aircraft' under 400' and within LOS that did not pose a danger to the NAS; however i doubt the FAA would be very receptive to this argument if you're in their TFR). PLus, in the guidance document the FAA issued in june of last year, it states that you're meant to comply with NOTAM's even as a 'hobby aircraft', so all of the 32 miles radius would be considered a 'no-fly zone' for any UAS.

that having been said, as long as you're not buzzing the motorcade or flying within the 9/10 nautical mile class b/c airspace around lax during his arrival/departure, you could probably put something in the air without issue (assuming your firmware doesn't comply with the TFR for you).

If I understand, what you're saying is, fly within the 'spirit' of the law rather than the 'word' of the law.
I use 'law' loosely describing the NOTAM, etc.

snowghost said:
Curious about how No Flies work. There's no flying alert due to Obama coming to town today and part of tomorrow. It's 32NM radius from LAX. Is that an altitude restriction or just outright ban for RC aircraft.
It's an outright ban for all aircraft but military and scheduled airline service. If you violate it and the FAA catches you, you will also be talking to the Secret Service.

Prior to 9/11 it was not the least unusual to fly my Cessna directly over Air Force One parked at Ames Naval Air Station (now NASA Ames Research Center) while the President was somewhere in the San Francisco Bay area. Today you can't even take off.

That's what the little Syncro quad is for :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl