Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Professional Not A Stress Crack... But?

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by patman561, Jan 25, 2016.

1. patman561

Hi all, a little help would be appreciated as to what you think might be happening here as I noticed this today in my pre-flight review. I didn't find any stress cracks but rather this top part of the fuselage has a small separation from the bottom part. Could the fuselage have warped? This P3 is only 4 months old and has not flown in hot weather temps nor had any crashes, just 1 tip over. The little white nub in the middle of the separation seems to be hard plastic, not debris, since I can't dislodge it with a toothpick. The overall length of the separation is no more than an inch, hardly even noticeable looking at it straight on; can't even be noticed from the top. It doesn't look overly concerning but then again maybe some of you with more experience would caution otherwise. Any ideal what's going on? I'm sure I could send it back to DJI under warranty but I'm not quite ready to be without it for the next 2 months waiting on their repair schedule. Many thanks!
    Pat

P3 Pic.jpg

2. fordruid

What is that in the crack below second from right vent?

3. patman561

Great question. I tried poking away at it but it is STUCK. Whatever it is it is it seems attached some how to the body.

4. fordruid

Not telling you to do this but if it was mine I would try taking a flat blade screwdriver and carefully spread the crack open and see if it comes lose.

5. Flying Dutchman

The hull came loose from the top. Most of the time because of a fall, crash. You can repair it, but its not possible to push it back. You have to open the top and then put it back on again.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453769200.068009.jpg

Its one of the clamps

patman561 likes this.
  6. patman561

I understand your reply and the risks thanks.

7. patman561

Thanks you for your appraisal.

8. Richard W

Not likely. Integrity of the shell ... most likely, a bit. The longer you wait the shell will more likely develop the memory of this new shape. Use flat plastic blade, old credit card, or something similar, open the neighboring locks and try to close them all including the one that snapped open. Good luck.

#8 Richard W, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    patman561 likes this.
  9. Samuel Castleton

Seems like a DJI body work error. You might want to take it on and ask them about it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

10. bobmyers

There are thousands of posts on this forum regarding this well know problem-- and the fixes for it. DJI does replace cracked shells under warranty or your can order your own and replace it your self-- or depending on the damage there are several ways to "Patch it up and keep flying"

patman561 likes this.
  11. PinnacleRun

This happened to my shell last week after a small pilot error and crash. I took a small thin flat head screwdriver to it and it popped it back in. No visual scratches or dings. Hope it works out for you if you try the same thing

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

patman561 and kirk2579 like this.
  12. patman561

Thank you for your observation. Tried the credit card idea and small screw driver but to no avail. So that I don't void any warranties I'll hold off from doing anything in case I need to send the bird in. Kind regards.