Noise of P4, any drone

Reaction score
Hi,

Silly question I know, but might as well ask.

Is the P4 any quieter in the air than the P3. I don't have a P4 yet (soon though), and they all sound like a swarm of bee's, if somehow they could make them quieter in flight I guess it not cause annoyance to people in neighbourhood's.

I know laws of physic's would dictate some noise, but would any emerging rotor design lessen any noise.

Thanks for any feedback,

My P4, Inspire, and Typhoon H are all about the same..

It doesn't seem to be any quieter than my P3s.

FWIW, I'd recommend you only use DJI props.

I haven't owned any other DJI products, but I find the P4 quite noisy.

I live in the country surrounded by farmland. On an early morning day with no wind, I can send the thing out 2500 feet (750 meters) and still hear it. You can't miss hearing it anytime when passing overhead at 350 feet (~100 meters).

Yeah - I notice when I pass over a field of cows at 400' AGL in my P2V, they are frequently running. I find this odd because when I pass by them in a car they just stand there. So why are they running when I fly way high overhead?

Maybe they think bees are coming.

It does sound like a swarm of bees

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app
This is kinda funny. I've had several hikers talk to me about 'bee swarms' in the area where I've been flying. Really confuses folks. Had one guy get very upset because he assumed that if there were bees, there would be bears close by. He felt better after finding out the giant insect swarm was just a drone.

Would be nice if they were quieter but physics is physics. Perhaps if they were ducted fans it would be a tad quieter but it's mostly prop speed.

I was hoping the p4 would be quieter but it isn't. I really hate how loud they are in general although it is nice to hear that sound returning from a long mission.

The Yuneec Q500+ is super quite, even quieter than Inspire. Almost whisper quiet in comparison to P3 and P4. The Q uses 13" props at a lower RPM, so it flies with a low hush. This makes it nice for things like outdoor weddings where the noise is an issue. However, the Q500+ has other issues, like a top speed of 17mph, and much less sophisticated software support for shooting video and photos. It's also kinda big, like the Inspire.

The way to reduce noise is to have larger, slower turning props .... like the Inspire.
But on a Phantom-sized drone, the prop size is already the max possible.

Actually with some tweaking I think they could get more. They would just have to have two of the mounts, diagonally oposite of each other (I.E. Both CW, or both CCW) mounted slightly higher than the other two. The two higher ones would pass over the two lower ones allowing the propellors to be twice as long. Now, the question is, how would that fly? Would it be stable? Would it be too turbulent? Would ot have some other issue?

A cowling around each propellor might help too.

If you asked me that question before I read the replies I'd the P4 is not as loud as the P3. Of course, that is just me listening to both of them while flying one after the other. But I also realize that it could just be me. Still, even if there is a difference... it's not really anything much.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl