Nodal point of lens and parallax problems in panoramas?

Reaction score
I've started doing interactive panoramas with my P4P and stitching them using PTGui. I seem to be having trouble getting perfect stitching, and it looks to me like an issue with parallax caused by the movement of the nodal point of the lens. The panoramas look great for the most part, but there are noticeable "glitches". Am I the only one seeing this issue or am I just being too picky, or is there another explanation/solution? I've shot the panos manually and using Litchi with same results.

Last edited:
What app are you using to stitch? I find Ptgui is my go to for more difficult stitching operations with full manual reference point assignment if needed.

The unavoidable movement of the AC between frames while shooting, the absence of close to camera foreground objects and the wide lens FOV provides nodal point considerations are largely irrelavent.

Apply lens corrections and allow for generous image overlap when shooting to give your stitching software more to work with.

Reactions: Meta4
I'm using PTGui, and even spending considerable time manually setting control points I have problems. How many shots per row are you shooting and what average height AGL ?

Altitude almost always 30m or above with 40% overlap. Any issues I have are where there are large expanses of sky or water (particularity with wave action). My first pano's were in the days where nodal point was everything (you couldn't get any software to stitch if it was slightly out). We are spoilt with the current software. Even lightroom does an excellent job in most instances.

One consideration I didnt mention earlier is to ensure all frames are shot at identical exposure settings and where necessary bracket shots and process prior to feeding into the stitching process.

Thanks With, I shoot on manual settings maybe I just need to allow more overlap. I've been allowing about 1/3 overlap or 12 to 14 frames per row, 2 - 3 rows plus nadir, 100' + AGL. If I get good weather tomorrow I'll bump up the overlap and see what happens.

I'm using PTGui, and even spending considerable time manually setting control points I have problems.
I use several different stitching programs and haven't noticed those sort of issues.
As long as your images have identifiable detail, modern software is very good at matching.
DJI_0259-307a-X3.jpg

274-370a-X3.jpg

I find Ptgui is my go to for more difficult stitching operations with full manual reference point assignment if needed.
Can you tell me what kind of average or maximum distances on your indexes are in the Control Point Table?

I use several different stitching programs and haven't noticed those sort of issues.
As long as your images have identifiable detail, modern software is very good at matching.
DJI_0259-307a-X3.jpg

274-370a-X3.jpg

Amazing photography!
Where are these taken?
Also, are you a professional photographer? If not, how do you find the time for all this?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl