No restrictions for flying in National Forests?

I didn't know that.... Do you know of some examples in Colorado?
You can't land aircraft in Wilderness without special permission. UAVs are 'aircraft', ergo, you can't land (or take off) a UAV within the boundaries of a Wilderness area.

That goes for any US federally designated Wilderness Area.

Reactions: BigAl07
I live here in Western North Caorlina and The Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) is a No Fly Zone. Since the BRP is part of the National Parks System (NPS) it follows the rules of the NPS which does include banning flying from any NPS land. You did well to not try to fly from the Parkway.

You can check it on your maps as well. It takes a lot of red tape and hoops to fly on the Parkway "legally". We do Search & Rescue training from the BRP and it's mind boggling how many "approvals" we have to have to do this.
I would love to get together and meet you.

I live here in Western North Caorlina and The Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) is a No Fly Zone. Since the BRP is part of the National Parks System (NPS) it follows the rules of the NPS which does include banning flying from any NPS land. You did well to not try to fly from the Parkway.

You can check it on your maps as well. It takes a lot of red tape and hoops to fly on the Parkway "legally". We do Search & Rescue training from the BRP and it's mind boggling how many "approvals" we have to have to do this.
Actually it was from the Black Balsam parking lot which was in the National Forest according to the Forest Ranger who said I cant fly in the National Forest.

Reactions: BigAl07
Actually it was from the Black Balsam parking lot which was in the National Forest according to the Forest Ranger who said I cant fly in the National Forest.
Black Balsam parking lot is exactly where we did our last SAR training and that's exactly where I had to get authorization to fly from. If you'll look at Hover (or any current up to date UAS/UAV flight zone map) you'll see the whole BRP is no-fly and this includes Black Balsam parking area.

I work in downtown Waynesville Mon - Fri so if you're in town drop me a note.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl