No problems with field compass calibrations after 3.06?

Reaction score
Am I the only one having great difficulty doing compass field calibrations after upgrading to 3.06? I know it must be the upgrade causing it because I've never experienced anything like this before. When I try to field calibrate I either get "calibration failed" or its telling me I have more than 6 GPS satellites connected. I have to try 5 or 6 times, rebooting, in order to get a good calibration. From what I'm reading 3.06 sure seems buggy. Anyone know how I can go back down to 3.04? Thanks in advance.

J.

I upgraded my P2V+ yesterday and immediately did a compass calibration which worked normally. I flew with 1.0.50 and it was ok, then upgraded the app to 1.0.52 and it worked ok too. I don't like the new lower speeds (and RTH descent is now SLOW 2 m/s). But all in all it may actually be better. I am keeping my old P2V on V2.00 firmware if I ever feel like fast flying. I hit over 69mph with it one time.

Just read another thread "interesting morning with V+" and now I feel vindicated lol He is having the same exact problem.

JWarren said:
Just read another thread "interesting morning with V+" and now I feel vindicated lol He is having the same exact problem.

Read my update... maybe it's the same problem... caused by rock with iron deposits...

Upgraded to 3.06 and 1.0.52, used the app for compass calibration, did a quick compass dance, and the steady lights went out. By the time I put it back on the ground, I had 11 satellites. Sorry.

Of course, I completed that whole process in a rather optimal environment:

Attachments

• DJI00037.jpg
    DJI00037.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 621
I seem to have figured out the problem. Its a bit embarrassing, but I'll post what I did wrong in case others might have it happen. I was trying to use the new Compass Calibration via my iPhone and I would do the horizontal and then go straight to the verticle without moving to the second screen and then finally finish. That is why my calibrations were failing. On another note, I'm not sure what exactly did it, but when my Phantom hovers, it STAYS in one place, no drifiting whatsoever. This is new and nice to see. A few more test flights and calibrations and I will update my second Phantom to 3.06.

J.

JWarren said:
I seem to have figured out the problem. Its a bit embarrassing, but I'll post what I did wrong in case others might have it happen. I was trying to use the new Compass Calibration via my iPhone and I would do the horizontal and then go straight to the verticle without moving to the second screen and then finally finish. That is why my calibrations were failing. On another note, I'm not sure what exactly did it, but when my Phantom hovers, it STAYS in one place, no drifiting whatsoever. This is new and nice to see. A few more test flights and calibrations and I will update my second Phantom to 3.06.

J.
I could be wrong, but i'm also certain that moving to the second screen has no bearing or effect on your compass calibration... that is there for information purposes only. The only thing that matters is that you initiate the compass calibration so that the lights turn yellow on the phantom.. at that point, after you perform the compass dance, you will either get your normal green lights (assuming you have 6+ satellites) or you will get steady red blinking lights identifying a failed calibration... this will occur regardless of whether or not you moved to the next screen. Somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, because if i am, i've actually been using the new feature incorrectly as well...

srandall25 said:
I could be wrong, but i'm also certain that moving to the second screen has no bearing or effect on your compass calibration... that is there for information purposes only.

I thought exactly the same. As soon as you hit 'start calibration' you do the dance both lateral and nose down and if you get the green your ready to fly. Which is the same as the switch cal (you don't need to do that twice)

Yeah, as far as I can tell there isn't any communication between the app and the Phantom during compass calibration.

What is missing on the app tutorial is flipping S1 back and forth 5 times or more.

I cannot find any info on how to calibrate using the app. The recently issued user manual has nothing about this feature or about the new battery indications.

nhoover said:
I upgraded my P2V+ yesterday and immediately did a compass calibration which worked normally. I flew with 1.0.50 and it was ok, then upgraded the app to 1.0.52 and it worked ok too. I don't like the new lower speeds (and RTH descent is now SLOW 2 m/s). But all in all it may actually be better. I am keeping my old P2V on V2.00 firmware if I ever feel like fast flying. I hit over 69mph with it one time.

The new descent limit does seem slow, but it is good to remember that not everyone globally has the same flying conditions as you. Seeing you are in California you have much denser air near sea level compared to other people like me in Utah where being four or five thousand feet above sea level is normal and flying in the mountains puts me six or seven thousand feet up. There are people who have posted here with prop-wash issues on descent when using RTH as a normal way of getting your phantom back rather than just controlling it and flying it yourself.

JWarren said:
On another note, I'm not sure what exactly did it, but when my Phantom hovers, it STAYS in one place, no drifiting whatsoever. This is new and nice to see. A few more test flights and calibrations and I will update my second Phantom to 3.06.

J.

Your phantom should ways stick in one place when flying GPS mode and when you let go of the sticks. If it isn't then your compass was probably not calibrated well previously or you needed to do an IMU calibration.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl