No image transmission signal

Points all taken, but I have repaired several P3P models to date, where the NITS happened right after the update. That was the customer's complaint exactly, "No Image Transmission Signal" after update, and the update failing. It is not normal operation that seems to be frying a component on the gimbal board, it happens during the update itself, while writing the update to the chip(s). @hunch clued me onto the fact that a fan should be pointed at the gimbal during the update. I have several dead Pro cameras, all with bad gimbal main boards, and they don't care what SD card if any is mounted. Coincidentally, I beleive Hunch has a Pro cam with a non functioning USB port. I don't know the exact cause of these failures, just theories as I said. But in every case, when I swapped out the Pro cam/gimbal assembly, everything is normal again. I would love to be able to replace just the gimbal board, but they are extremely difficult to find. DJI refuses to sell them alone, even though I have pleaded my case with them several times.

Points all taken, but I have repaired several P3P models to date, where the NITS happened right after the update. That was the customer's complaint exactly, "No Image Transmission Signal" after update, and the update failing. It is not normal operation that seems to be frying a component on the gimbal board, it happens during the update itself, while writing the update to the chip(s). @hunch clued me onto the fact that a fan should be pointed at the gimbal during the update. I have several dead Pro cameras, all with bad gimbal main boards, and they don't care what SD card if any is mounted. Coincidentally, I beleive Hunch has a Pro cam with a non functioning USB port. I don't know the exact cause of these failures, just theories as I said. But in every case, when I swapped out the Pro cam/gimbal assembly, everything is normal again. I would love to be able to replace just the gimbal board, but they are extremely difficult to find. DJI refuses to sell them alone, even though I have pleaded my case with them several times.
So if what you and Hunch are saying is true and I swapped out the Pro cam/gimbal assembly then updated it to the latest firmware update, it would AGAIN fry this board and/or its components?

Read the part about using a fan.
Yea, I read it. But riddle me this... if components in the Pro Cam/Gimbal assembly got "fried", why does it work just fine with my 16GB MicroSD card? In theory if surface mounted components overheated and "fried", then my 16GB MicroSD card shouldn't work either. FWIW, when I flew it two weeks ago during my aforementioned flight demo, it was hotter than hell outside (Florida) near midday ... and no problems. I'm not discounting what you've stated and by the tone of your recent replies it appears that I've irritated you with my comments. Just telling you what it is with MY situation and when dealing with electronics and software, it's not always the same from "device" to "device".
I worked for Lockheed Martin (and Martin Marietta) for 14 years, saw the same thing with pro video gear AND DoD military gear/software.

The NITS goes away when there is NO MicroSD card in the gimbal's SD card drive.
The point here that you and Kryvas don't seem to be noting or taking into consideration is that BEFORE I updated the P3P's firmware to 1.9.60, there was NO problem using my 32GB MicroSD cards. AFTER I updated the P3P's firmware to 1.9.60 is when the NITS problem began. I'm not the only one on these forums who have had this happen to, this problem is not unique to me and me alone, others have had the same **** issue.

I'm aware of the heatsinks... they're obvious to the eye, and the tiny cooling fan too. What's critical here is the NITS problem happens on a stone cold P3P in my temp controlled house. DJI states operating temp range for the P3P is 30 deg F to 104 deg F. My house is at 74 deg F, always. I don't let the P3P sit there and "toast" first THEN try out the different SD cards.

Ya, you're right, what size MicroSD card should not have anything to do with image transmission, but I don't believe in my heart of hearts that I have had a component(s) failure simply because, as I have been saying all along, this NITS problem occurred only AFTER I updated the P3P's firmware to 1.9.60. I refuse to believe that updating the P3P's firmware had nothing to do with the NITS problem... it did and does.

Now maybe the 1.9.60 firmware update did something to make those components overheat (however that can happen I do not know) but DJI is aware of it and hopefully working on it.

Once again, to make this clear, I am not the only one who has this problem AFTER updating my firmware to 1.9.60, may others on this forum have had the same issue at the same time.
Sure, some folks didn't get this issue with the last update, God bless them then. Me, I'm relegated to using 16GB max MicroSD cards and if that's what it takes to keep my P3P flying
then so be it.

FWIW, I had an important flight demonstration to give to a local FAA test site and almost up to the time of the demo, that damned NITS problem almost caused me to cancel the demo.
When I inserted the 16GB MicroSD card that "fixed" the NITS problem, only then was I able to drive out and give them my flight demo.

It makes no sense that the size of the MicroSD card should affect image transmission... DJI's website says I can use up to 64GB MicroSD cards in my P3P.
LOL, ya, right, whatever. If this was a MicroSD drive problem, then why does the 16GB MicroSD card "fix" this problem and the 32GB card doesn't ?

You can tell me that I am the problem and not the unit, or you can speculate something "fried" in the P3P, but know this: the P3P like the P4, like the Inspire, are all basically fying computers.
I've put a grand total of 1hr and 48 min flying time on my P3P since I purchased it last year ... so I don't fly it much... so it's not like I'm flying the crap out of it in the Summer heat, I'm not.
So it doesn't have much flight time but has had a ton of DJI updates on it.

I come from a professional video background and for only a moment wondered if the video being fed over Lightbridge was somehow a delayed playback from the MicroSD card and not a true
live feed from Lightbridge to my iPad 2 Mini (with hardware decode turned ON)... but allegedly video from the P3P's camera is fed "LIVE" through Lightbridge and transmitted back to the RC and into
my iPad.

I've pretty much thrown my hands up in frustration, I don't have time for this crap. DJI should (ya, right, whatever) test all eventualities BEFORE they put out a new firmware update.
They are a multi-billion dollar company, they can afford a team of folks to hook up every type of smart phone and tablet and memory card to their Phantoms to see if there are any problems
BEFORE they release a firmware update... but instead they do what all software companies have done since the 1980's... they release the software package and let the consumer flesh out
all the "bugs" before they release an update to correct that which they should have corrected in the first place.
First Bert, I apologize if I gave you the impression to reformat your 16 GB card in your Mac computer; for you and I, the 16 GB card is the one working.

Regarding FW update 1.9.60, I took note of your first post that it may be our common problem; therefore, I have not updated beyond 1.8.80. And I thank you for that heads-up; a good reason to continue these forum discussions.

This thread started because of Large capacity SD card problems, see posts: #1,3,4,5,7; however, their FW version was not clear. A NITS only SURVEY is in order:
- Phantom firmware version
- SD card manufacturer and card capacity
- When NITS problem began

Bert, *good observation* in post #40 and each of your preceeding posts: 16 GB CARD WORKS - NOT LARGER CARDS!
In my case, and apparently others, since the original 16 GB card that came with my P3P works, it does not seem to be a heat damaging problem. If hardware components were heat damaged, logic tells me that no card would work properly.

To summarize the start of my problem:
- I upgraded to a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card
- flew once with the card on a cool sunset evening
- next day booted up the RC then P3P in my house and got the NITS warning
- The GO app would not allow a format of the 32 GB card
- my Mac Pro would not recognize the same 32 GB card
- finally, I was able to Erase the card with the Mac's Disk Utility then Format it in the P3P; result = NO NITS WARNING.

To reiterate what MicroSD cards I possess:

one Lexar 633x 16GB UHS speed class 1 in a "U" and class 10 in a "circle" - 10MB/s transfer speed (this is the MicroSD card that came with my P3P)
one SanDisk Ultra Plus 16GB UHS speed class 1 in a "U" - 10MB/s transfer speed (this MicroSD card was designed specifically for 1080p video)
two SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB UHS class 3 in a "U" - 30MB/s transfer speed (this MicroSD card was designed specifically for 4K video)

BEFORE I installed the P3X_FW_V01.09.0060 firmware update, my SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB UHS class 3 in a "U" MicroSD cards worked fine and the video transmission signal was perfect.
AFTER I installed the P3X_FW_V01.09.0060, all I get is "No Image Transmission Signal" error.

When I use the SanDisk Ultra Plus 16GB UHS speed class 1 in a "U" MicroSD card in the P3P, for now, I get a PERFECT IMAGE TRANSMISSION SIGNAL.

Kryvas, I realize that your method of fixing your NITS error involved your P3P having an older firmware update, I just tried your method (wrongly) by erasing/formatting my SD cards in my iMac THEN formatting them in my P3P.

I may try one of my 32GB SD cards in my iMac, erase it but NOT format it.
Take same SD card into my P3P and format it there and see what happens.
For now, I'm leaving my 16GB SD card alone as it is "working".

I also realize Multicoptertec knows what he's doing, I realize that. But my decades of dealing with software/hardware have shown me countless times where what they did, or didn't do, made no sense and sometime just replacing a component "solves" the problem... not really... it gets you up and running to completely replace a component, but ultimately it doesn't solve the problem. Putting a fan on my P3P while updating it, that's a new one on me, never have heard to do that anywhere on the 'net. And if that's the only true "fix" when updating, God help anyone out in the field, in the heat, updating their quad... they'll be screwed if what Multicoptertec says is true.

Yea, I read it. But riddle me this... if components in the Pro Cam/Gimbal assembly got "fried", why does it work just fine with my 16GB MicroSD card? In theory if surface mounted components overheated and "fried", then my 16GB MicroSD card shouldn't work either. FWIW, when I flew it two weeks ago during my aforementioned flight demo, it was hotter than hell outside (Florida) near midday ... and no problems. I'm not discounting what you've stated and by the tone of your recent replies it appears that I've irritated you with my comments. Just telling you what it is with MY situation and when dealing with electronics and software, it's not always the same from "device" to "device".
I worked for Lockheed Martin (and Martin Marietta) for 14 years, saw the same thing with pro video gear AND DoD military gear/software.

Not irritated at all Bert, sorry if I came across that way. I am just relating what I have seen and done, and what I suspect the issue might be. The mystery continues. By the way, I am also in Florida, we have a regular group that flies about once a month.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have also had the "No Image Transmission Signal" after update. I contacted Tech Support and was asked to downgrade my firmware to v1.8.80 and then try to update again to v1.9.60. However my P3P no longer updates and just goes into a critical fault. I have now been advised to return the P3P for repair.

I have also had the "No Image Transmission Signal" after update. I contacted Tech Support and was asked to downgrade my firmware to v1.8.80 and then try to update again to v1.9.60. However my P3P no longer updates and just goes into a critical fault. I have now been advised to return the P3P for repair.
I'm sorry to hear that. I too was advised to downgrade but it didn't take. When I re-upgraded that didn't take either. But several tries at "cycling" my P3P on then off then on then off, etc. it finally took and now works.
I'm still stuck with having to use a lower capacity / capability MicroSD card to record my videos onto. This just sucks.

"No Image Transmission Signal" problem solved?
I have a DJI P3P, DJI GO app 2.8.6, P3P firmware 1.9.60, TX/RC 1.6.0
No crashes or damage since purchasing it over a year ago.

As a reminder, I posted previously:
I have several MicroSD cards -
Lexar 633x 16GB UHS speed class 1 in a "U" and class 10 in a "circle" - 10MB/s transfer speed (this is the MicroSD card that came with my P3P)
SanDisk Ultra Plus 16GB UHS speed class 1 in a "U" - 10MB/s transfer speed (this MicroSD card was designed specifically for 1080p video)
SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB UHS class 3 in a "U" - 30MB/s transfer speed (this MicroSD card was designed specifically for 4K video)

Before I installed the P3X_FW_V01.09.0060 firmware update, my SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB UHS class 3 in a "U" MicroSD card worked fine and the video transmission signal was perfect.
AFTER I installed the P3X_FW_V01.09.0060, all I get is "No Image Transmission Signal" error.

But when I use the SanDisk Ultra Plus 16GB UHS speed class 1 in a "U" MicroSD card in the P3P, for now, I get no video transmission signal errors.

So a week ago I was watching some YouTube video about what is the best MicroSD card to use in the P3P and some guy (Irix Guy) in this video said Samsung was the best MicroSD card to use but he neglected to stipulate exactly which one he uses. He said nothing about "No Image Transmission Signal" problem, he was just pontificating as to which MicroSD brand he prefers.

So I said "What the 'gosh darn' !" I'll buy me a Samsung SAMBMD32DA 32GB PRO+ UHS-I microSDHC U3 Memory Card from B&H Photo for $24 and what do you know? The "No Image Transmission" problem doesn't come up even though this is a 32GB memory card. Remember... until I got this new 32GB Samsung MicroSD card, I could only use my 16GB SanDisk Ultra Plus to avoid the dreaded "No Image Transmission" problem.

I'm guessing DJI P3P's prefer Samsung now? Whereas in the past before my last firmware update, my P3P liked my SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB cards just fine... after the firmware update, my P3P can't use them.

So I got to thinking as to possibly WHY would the brand of MicroSD card make a difference? Going out on a limb here... I thought about how, possibly, the P3P transmits its video to my tablet utilizing the P3P's built-in Lightbridge technology. Is it possible that there is a slight delay in the video signal, from the P3P to my iPad created not by Lightbridge but possibly because the video is being recorded onto the MicroSD card THEN Lightbridge simultaneously plays back the just-then-recorded video transmitted to my iPad? Which means the MicroSD card is being tasked to Write THEN Read back the video into Lighbridge? And if that is what's happening, then the throughput of the MicroSD card needs to be up to the task. My SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB used to be up to this task but perhaps the last firmware update changes something where the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB could no longer provide the throughput needed to Write THEN Read video to Lightbridge, though my new Samsung 32GB Pro+ is up to the task and that's why I no longer have the "No Image Transmission" problem?

Let me know what ya'll think.

Bert

Also, two unrelated technologies. Lightbridge is needed to transmit the data and tech is needed to write data to the card. I see no reason why it would need to get data from the card and not simply directly from the camera. That is, the cameras data is supplied to the card writer _and_ to Lightbridge.

I've had extreme issues with video transmission for many months. My max distance went from 8000' down to 2000'. I've also recently had some issues with writing data to the SD card. Sometimes when I start a photo or video it won't start for 5 seconds or so. When video is recording it also just turns off by itself. While I don't think video is read from the card and transmitted, I'm not ruling out that they could be related in some way.

Personally, I think DJI screwed up the firmware again. Sorry, I meant to say, I think there is some "issue" with the firmware that DJI just happens to create (I don't want to get my post deleted for expressing "frustration" with a manufacture).

I doubt this because I can have a perfectly good video feed via Lightbridge with no memory card installed. I also doubt it due to the extreme duty the SD card would be doing to accomplish this, when there is really no need to do it that way.
Being that the topic here is "No Image Transmission Signal" and that I'm not the only one who noted that after the last firmware update that the "No Image Transmission Signal" error occurs when certain capacities and / or brands of MicroSD cards are used in the P3P but when these MicroSD cards are replaced with a different brand or capacity that the "No Image Transmission Signal" error disappears. Such was my case. Multicoptertec, you can keep up the mantra that the capacity or type of MicroSD card would have nothing to do with the "No Image Transmission Signal" error but there's an old saying... if it sounds stupid and looks stupid but works, it ain't stupid... so I'll spell it out to you... if I use my SanDisk extreme duty (your term, not mine) 32GB MicroSD cards into my P3P I immediately get the "No Image Transmission Signal" error. If I take these SandDisk extreme duty (your term, not mine) MicroSD cards OUT of my P3P and insert either the SanDisk Ultra Plus 16GB UHS speed class 1 in a "U" MicroSD card into my P3P, the "No Image Transmission Signal" error DOES NOT APPEAR, or if I use my new Samsung SAMBMD32DA 32GB PRO+ UHS-I microSDHC U3 Memory Card in my P3P, the "No Image Transmission Signal" error DOES NOT APPEAR.

Technically, which MicroSD card should not matter in as far as Image Transmission goes, but once again, if it sounds and looks stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I've contacted DJI about this and in the end they pretty much said they will advise their engineers and "so sorry for my inconvenience". I realize that wasn't what you said in your response to my Lightbridge comment, but as I had written, I didn't think that was the problem but postulated that it might me a possibility. And the only reason I even thought of video having to go onto the MicroSD card then out of the card simultaneously before being transmitted is based on my pro-video background where video decks DID do that very thing. You're right, with no card in the P3P, the video should still be transmitted just fine through Lightbridge, but once again, when certain MicroSD cards ARE in the P3P, I get this error and when the other two cards (I previously mentioned) are inserted into the P3P, the image transmission error goes away.

Lastly, once I found a "solution" to my problem, I thought I would share and then put forth a theory that I also said might not be cogent but as usual, someone comes along and slams me for even having brought it up. Thanks for the support for not mentioning that my "solution" could actually work.

Lastly, once I found a "solution" to my problem, I thought I would share and then put forth a theory that I also said might not be cogent but as usual, someone comes along and slams me for even having brought it up. Thanks for the support for not mentioning that my "solution" could actually work.

I don't see how disagreeing with and providing the reasoning behind it is, "slamming" someone

"Multicoptertec, you can keep up the mantra that the capacity or type of MicroSD card would have nothing to do with the "No Image Transmission Signal" error but there's an old saying... if it sounds stupid and looks stupid but works, it ain't stupid... so I'll spell it out to you... if I use my SanDisk extreme duty (your term, not mine) 32GB MicroSD cards into my P3P I immediately get the "No Image Transmission Signal" error. If I take these SandDisk extreme duty (your term, not mine) MicroSD cards OUT" etc

Thanks for the support for not mentioning that my "solution" could actually work.[/QUOTE]

What mantra? And this "your term, not mine" stuff, I never said any of that.

I just got the "No Image Transmissiom Signal" for the first time tonight on my P3 and I was perplexed as I had flown with the 64GB Extreme Sandisk micro card numerous time before. I had down-loaded several files on my laptop from it last night after flying (just as I had done a number of times previously) so that was confusing too. After a couple resets, nothing cleared the NITS. What I did next was to insert the card into my laptop and delete the misc files beneath my image files on the Sandisk and that solved the problem. I was back flying. BTW, I had to go with the Extreme to get the necessary WRITE speeds, the Sandisk Ultra write speeds are way too slow, so the 64GB Ultra micro card that was listed to work with the P3, obviously doesn't.

RESOLVED : Disable Hardware Acceleration in the app's settings (last category "•••")

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl