No fly zone

Reaction score
Can any one explain ne "safety" feature.
Will it only work on vision?
Will we be able to disable it?
What if you are flying non fpv phantom and it start landig on highway? let say you lost gps signal and crossed zone and gps get signal back mand phantom start landing?

As I understand it, the "no fly zone" applies to major airports. NOT other locations.
It also has to do with the ground station software, not inherent to the bird itself.

When you set the "home" location, this gets locked into the bird's memory.
Upon loss of signal, the home location is referenced, the bird figures out where that is and returns.
Unless you set the home location to be on a roadway, it should never land on one.

Suwaneeguy said:
As I understand it, the "no fly zone" applies to major airports. NOT other locations.
It also has to do with the ground station software, not inherent to the bird itself.

When you set the "home" location, this gets locked into the bird's memory.
Upon loss of signal, the home location is referenced, the bird figures out where that is and returns.
Unless you set the home location to be on a roadway, it should never land on one.

Even though DJI can save to Nazas memory list of GPS locations that it cannot fly in (airports). The Naza is 100% unaware where its flying, over a road or not. So how did you come up with the idea that Phantom wont land if you have set ur homepoint into a roadway?

im not sure where did you get info about ground station. In video they say that when you use ground station it wont allow you to set way points in no fly zone.

Post by Suwaneeguy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 pm
http://www.dronevideofx.com/?page_id=629
Watch the first video. Episode 3.
Move up to the 18 minute mark.
There is an explanation of how it works with graphics.
i seen that video on dji web site and that where my question came from. thank you

If you fly in no fly zone without gps signal, regardless of mode, and than lock on gps it will decent. that what they say. if you are not aware you flew in no fly zone ( let say you fly in park close to airport, check nj/ny area, Newark airport on map that is on dji website, you will see park with lake) and you are flying over pond you will land in it if you wont catch up quickly enough to move it. you will be able to control but it will be landing.
And what if you want to fly around your backyard and you are to close to airport. you would like to stay on your property below of 6 feet but you cant take off. cool now you either move out or have nice paper weight for over 1000. (i understand you can go somewhere to fly but what if you don't feel like going out and taking everything you just want to fly for few minutes in you backyard)

my main concern is if you fly far without fpv but you are still able to see your phantom and it start landing because you went into nofly zone. if you are far you wont be able to come back.
and what with small airports ? and houses that are near by? they can't use it?
also what will prevent dji or government to add no fly wherever they are pleased ?

I live very close to a major airport and I can still arm and fly with the no-fly zones. I think people have valid concerns about how the system works, but DJI's video does a very good job explaining it and some people may not realize how big the large airports are. To be in the true no-fly zone you may need to be in the middle of a runway.

Currently, it's only on the P2 line, I don't think we've heard whether this will be expanded out beyond the "locked flight controller" models.

Miika said:
So how did you come up with the idea that Phantom wont land if you have set ur homepoint into a roadway?

That's not what he said. He's saying that it won't land on the road, unless you set your homepoint to a location that is on a road.

I am waiting delivery of my Phantom V2, supposed to arrive tomorrow, but as a actual helicopter pilot, I advise that any RC pilots remember that YOU are responsible for your aircraft and knowing where it is at.
That being said... I advise that you get a aeronautical chart of the area you are flying and be sure that you are not flying in any flight paths or restricted areas.
At the moment, there are very few regulations or restrictions, but reading what people are doing with these, it is only a matter of time before some aircraft is going to hit one of these or have a near miss... and things will quickly change. When it comes of real aircraft and what is considered a toy... I am sure that the hobby craft will lose.

Don't rely on some software, since you will be the one in trouble.

Fly safe and be considerate, the rules and regulations will happen because of a few messing it up for the rest of us.

Gordon

Regardless of drones and Rc craft ... "real" aircraft and helicopters wipeout and waste plenty of people themselves well enough on their own, let alone to be continually going on about how bad everyone else is ..... at least when I crash I can find my quad, unlike some well regulated professionally run $200 million dollar aircraft that have been lost lately !!??? ..... safety is only as good as possible with humans involved, and their are idiots, nutcases and complete dipsh*ts in all walks of life ... in the "real" flying world .. as well as RC hobby flying.... neither is above any other.

The forced landing of the phantom when it is in a restricted airspace is a really bad idea.

What happens if it gets ingested by a jet engine on landing or worse at takeoff.
Then the **** is really going to hit the fan.
it should go into go home mode and use 80% power to get the F out of there.

Just wait and soon you will fly in "fly zone" only. And that only if you buy ticket, obtain permit,pass license, have valid inspection. I almoast forgot they will take your biometric finger prints and criminal record. Government loves to regulate and take your money.

KG4MXV said:
The forced landing of the phantom when it is in a restricted airspace is a really bad idea.

What happens if it gets ingested by a jet engine on landing or worse at takeoff.
Then the **** is really going to hit the fan.
it should go into go home mode and use 80% power to get the F out of there.

The only way this would happen is if it takes off without gps lock and then gets lock in flight, discovering at this point it is in the no-fly zone. Attempting to leave the zone could fly it straight through the zone, potentially into the path of a flight. And if it took off without gps, it doesn't have a home lock to go to. In this rare situation, they decided it would be best to get out of danger the fastest way possible and immediately land.

Ok people, let's get into the real world here for a minute.
What is going to happen to your little bitty bird when it meets the really big metallic bird weighing 20 thousand times more?
Like you're gonna have it to fly again right? Just pick it up off the ground and away you go?
I don't think so.
That super big bird lands at 200mph. Your little bitty bird is flying at 5mph tops.
Bang! The two meet. Chop suey for dinner anyone?
You'll be picking up your bird in pieces smaller than the screws.
Oh and that super big bird is gonna be damaged? Oh yeah they might find a golf ball size ding in the fuselage somewhere, but hey, that will buff out.
Real birds hit big jumbo jets every day and no visible damage is ever done.
The worst damage caused by real birds is the cleanup they have to do when a flock of birds get sucked into the fans.

The real threat here, is the idiot politicians and lobbyists who have no clues as to what harm may be done to a real aircraft.

Do you know why it's illegal to use your cell phone on an airplane?
Because they want you to pay the high fees for their system, not because cell phones cause interference.

An old guideline from the FAA (1981) said, that if you were flying AT an actual airport, you should at least have the courtesy of notifying the tower control people. In some countries, it may be illegal to do so. But not in the USA.Not yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl