Night flying

Reaction score
So who else flies at night? Come on, you know you do it! You can get some really good city lite shots. My main reason for night flying is because I have no live stream. I got a deal on my p4 because the gimbal is broken and I'm waiting for parts. I quite literally have to see the dang thing to fly it right now. The lights make it highly visible in the night sky and no staring into the sun. I just go up high, zoom around the sky and get some stick time in. At least I can practice flying and get acclimated to the p4 while I wait. One added advantage, you catch a lot of falling stars when your looking up at the sky flying.

So who else flies at night? Come on, you know you do it! You can get some really good city lite shots. My main reason for night flying is because I have no live stream. I got a deal on my p4 because the gimbal is broken and I'm waiting for parts. I quite literally have to see the dang thing to fly it right now. The lights make it highly visible in the night sky and no staring into the sun. I just go up high, zoom around the sky and get some stick time in. At least I can practice flying and get acclimated to the p4 while I wait. One added advantage, you catch a lot of falling stars when your looking up at the sky flying.
Yip I night flYing all the time,,,high hills around all sides,,air traffic almost stops here so it good,,put some strobe lights on and away, 1493174929619-430156690.jpg 1493174987744-480992741.jpg 1493175029532-999727372.jpg 14931750988261539262481.jpgso home made strobes I make,,heaps of wires but works well,,,3.7 lipo battery,,can see over 2km away

Reactions: Duchunter
screen_69bc3d6cbc32d13c_1491633242000.jpg
picture of me town at nite,,over 1300ft one side 850ft other side,,makes for good flights:)

Reactions: Duchunter and tevek
If you are going to fly at night I would suggest you read the FAA Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge chapter 17 page 19-26. There is some good information in there about how to adapt and overcome the challenges of night flying (illusions, increased rod over cone sensitivity etc) the PDF is over 500 pages long so it may take a minute to download:
Also please make sure you use a strobe and don't fly at night when there is decreased visibility. I don't care what country you are in or what laws apply to you, the info in the handbook is good for everyone.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/pilot_handbook.pdf

If you are going to fly at night I would suggest you read the FAA Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge chapter 17 page 19-26. There is some good information in there about how to adapt and overcome the challenges of night flying (illusions, increased rod over cone sensitivity etc) the PDF is over 500 pages long so it may take a minute to download:
Also please make sure you use a strobe and don't fly at night when there is decreased visibility. I don't care what country you are in or what laws apply to you, the info in the handbook is good for everyone.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/pilot_handbook.pdf

Very good info, thanks

image.jpeg
You can get great pics at night here's one I took...

Just recently I was flying at night and had three cop cars come hauling down the street. I could hear one say " it's over the tree" so I flew south for a bit and dropped down between yards to land. Haven't flown at night lately.

Just recently I was flying at night and had three cop cars come hauling down the street. I could hear one say " it's over the tree" so I flew south for a bit and dropped down between yards to land. Haven't flown at night lately.

There is no law against it is there. I know it's 30 minutes before and after for part 107 pilots but that doesn't apply to hobbyists does it?

Wow not sure about laws for different states,,I would phone and ask ,,I've had the police stop and watch while I was flying,,,,way he was talking he wanted a fly;)good experience for a change

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
All my flying is at night. Have Polar Pro Leds on landing gear. Strobes on each side. Best vlos. Can see drone about one and a half miles out. Beats flying in the daytime.

I fly at night all of the time...I have the Cree Strobe lights in white and red and can see them over a mile away. I’m actually chomping at the bit right now...4th of July is my favorite night to fly up here at the lake. Over the past two years I’ve gotten some incredible drone footage.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Two cops stop every now and then to watch me fly. They both have Phantom 4s. Never had any issues with them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan