Reaction score
hi I have just purchased a second hand phantom 3 advanced but have never flown a drone before hoping to have my 1st try out the weekend, are there any tips for a complete novice, I have watched numerous videos but I would hate to crash on my 1st outing, and do people think I'm mad and maybe should of gone for a more toy like drone to practice with 1st, thanks in advanced for any advice.

RTFM a couple times, & understand it. Your phantom will be easy/safe to fly, just stay far away from obstacles for the first few flights. It will soon become intuitive to fly.

Reactions: Swav63
Can't hurt to try the "simulator" once as well.
iOS lets you rename the drone. I don't think you can with android.
Power on, phone, controller, THEN aircraft. Don't sit it on car to turn on, it will give you compass errors. I have nice flat spot 5 feet from car with no grass to bother my camera as it cycles.

Pay special attention to manual part about CHECK the props are tight before flight.
Being used, check the screw holes under each arm for cracks. I bought a set of carbon fiber props, but haven't tried them yet. Stock ones are fine for me so far.
Don't go wild pegging the sticks and you will be fine flying it. It is very stable.

hi I have just purchased a second hand phantom 3 advanced but have never flown a drone before hoping to have my 1st try out the weekend, are there any tips for a complete novice, I have watched numerous videos but I would hate to crash on my 1st outing, and do people think I'm mad and maybe should of gone for a more toy like drone to practice with 1st, thanks in advanced for any advice.
RTFM, watch the DJI tutorial videos - all of them - then RTFM again - and then watch the videos again... you see the pattern here. The biggest bit of advise I'd give you is to be patient and do not rush, especially as, by your own admission, you've no experience. So, DO use the SIM, it's what it's there for and do use the beginners mode on your first few flights. Good Luck

Welcome to the forum.
Mad? I am too.
Nice big open field, don't fly too far away to begin with, learn the controls, which way the drone is facing etc.
Take your time & it will come to you.
Enjoy

Have you registered the drone yet? flying in US is a no no without registration. $5 for 3 years. You get the number immediately when you pay, then sharpie on some tape if you don't want to write on it yet.
search vinyl faa numbers on ebay. 2-4 of them for $2-$4. Pick your color and order some. I imagine hundreds of those cricket "printers" cutting out numbers around the country.

Welcome to the forum. If you are interested, click here for tips that I often share with new P3P/P3A owners. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Swav63 and Numone
Hi,

Welcome - Have fun read the manual - Try setting the Go- app to beginers mode - choose a field well away from any trees ! Be gentle with the controls - These a VERY easy to fly - enjoy the ride - Heed any warnings on the screen! - DON'T FLY on a windy day !!! (Calmer=Better - 10mph-MAX)- To start with :)

Avoid your back garden ..head to a field take your time, the more you understand
how it works the more you will get out out of it. Enjoy :)

Double check the "lost connection" action in the app. If you set it to 'return to home', RTH, then make sure the RTH altitude is high enough to avoid any possible obstacles in your flying area (the preset 30 meters is considered by many to be too low) and always start with a fully charge battery.

Have you registered the drone yet? flying in US is a no no without registration. $5 for 3 years. You get the number immediately when you pay, then sharpie on some tape if you don't want to write on it yet.
search vinyl faa numbers on ebay. 2-4 of them for $2-$4. Pick your color and order some. I imagine hundreds of those cricket "printers" cutting out numbers around the country.
He's based in the U.K.....

Calibrate compass, set RTH higher then anything around you. Make sure props and battery are seated securely. Make sure you are in P mode, wait for home point to be recorded, have fun [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Well would just like to thank everyone for their advice much appreciated, I flew for the 1st time today on beginer mode and must saying thoroughly enjoyed it and was surprised how stable it was even though I was flying at our local beach,and the video footage I took was outstanding even though a bit jerky but that was just me with the controls but I will get better with practice, can't wait to go out and play again.

Reactions: Numone and klongx
Excellent well done Swav63 ..enjoy your flights have you uploaded your flights to you tube ?
if so share ..I am keith hooper still a newbie to this hobby but confidence does come slowly :)

Well would just like to thank everyone for their advice much appreciated, I flew for the 1st time today on beginer mode and must saying thoroughly enjoyed it and was surprised how stable it was even though I was flying at our local beach,and the video footage I took was outstanding even though a bit jerky but that was just me with the controls but I will get better with practice, can't wait to go out and play again.
Excellent, well done. Before you know it, you won't be able to stop! Where are you in the U.K.?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West