Newbie Question -

Reaction score
All:

I searched the posts but didn't see an answer to this question. If this has been answered, sorry, point me in the right direction and I'll be on my way.

I am impressed with the DJI Phantom 2 Vision + vidoes I've seen on YouTube. I would like to get one.

However, I have zero experience with RC - never flown, driven, anything. I'm concerned I will crash this thing on the first few flights.

Is there a cheap quadcopter (or simulator) that I could learn on prior to getting a $1300 piece of gear? Or is the Phantom really that easy to fly?

Thanks!

Loads, I learnt with a Hubsan x4 around the house and outside on a no wind day , took me about a week or so to get the hang of hovering it, using roll, yaw etc flying it in circles and the hardest bit is when it changes orientation the right hand controls become opposite, it's actually harder to fly than the Phantom which is easy in comparison as it hovers and you vpcan let go of the control sticks, do that with the Hubsan and it will carry on going.

Anyway I,d recommend it 1st as it teaches you orientation which you still need, otherwise like a lot of others you will hit many trees when you get close as you will panic and push it the wrong way.

The phantom ( is extremely easy to fly ) if you get into trouble just let the sticks go, and the phantom will stop and stabilize itself, until you can get your thoughts together, ( orientation ) then calmly. , continue on!
Also there are several patterns to use, to help you learn to fly.
ON YOUR FIRST FEW FLIGHTS, KEEP CAMERA AND VISION FACING AWAY FROM YOU, this way all controls will be correct ( or correct orientation ) left will be left, right will be right, and so on,

Example:
If you fly the phantom FACING YOU , ( now AWAY FROM YOU. ),
Forward will be backwards, backwards will be forward , left will be right, and right will be left!
In other words, if you turn LEFT on your transmitter ( tx. ), the phantom will turn to your RIGHT, ( not left )
This can be confusing, but you will get used to it in time
When the phantom is facing AWAY FROM YOU, the controls will be correct, you turn Left on the TX the phantom will turn to your left. Very easy to fly ( away orientation )

Ok, as for cheap ( beginner craft. )
The best I found is this.
WL-Toys V222 quad copter w/camera cost approx $70
It is not FPV, but very easy to fly to learn ORIENTATION, plus it does tricks, flips and rolls, and takes EXCELLENT VIDEO!
Only fault is you have to get video from memory card, you cannot see what you are videoing while flying, but all my videos turned out nice regardless! It also has several attachments avail ( $8 each. ) missle launcher, bubble blower, water cannon, hook and basket , ect.

This is the cheapest place I've found ( in china , but excellent prices )
http://Www.Banggood.com
( WL-Toys V222 quad copter )
Good quality , and TONS of fun to fly
If you learn to fly this, you will have NO problems flying the phantom, trust me!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

JDot and FlyingFox:

Many thanks for the replies. Thanks so much for the recommendations.

I think I'm going to go with the Wltoys V222. After I'm done with this, I'm going to give it to one of my nephews, and the attachments look like a lot of fun.

JDot, one last question, the V222 comes in 2 flavors "Mode 1 (Right Hand Throttle)" and "Mode 2 (Left Hand Throttle)". Which one do I want?? If it matters, I'm in the USA.

Again, thanks to both of you. I'll let you know how I get on with my new hobby.

Mode 2 ( left hand throttle )
This means your left hand will do 2 functions:
1) throttle ( accent & decent ) up and down
So push LEFT stick UP v222 goes up, let stick down a bit to come down ( or land )
2) Roll ( spin ) spin left, or spin right ( like a record spins, in a circle pattern )
This will be LEFT stick ( left or right ) push stick left v222 spins left, push right v222 spins right

Your right hand will do this/
1) forward and reverse ( to and away )
Push RIGHT stick UP for forward motion v222 goes forward ( awAy from you )
Push RIGHT stick DOWN for reverse motion v222 flies backwards ( twords you )
And finally
2) pitch ( fly left or fly right )
Push RIGHT stick to left, v222 flies left
Push RIGHT stick to Right, v222 flies right

Also the V222 has several cool functions
On the controller there are several buttons
2 on top
1) top left button ( initiates video recording ) start and stop also hook up, and single missle launch ) depending on attachment,
2) top right button ( initiated stunt mode ) you have to be at 80 or 100% rate to use this feature ( explained below )
Once in 80-100% gain mode, push this button ( you will hear beep beep beep, once you hit any dirrection on RIGHT stick, v222 will flip in that dirrection ( tons of fun ) kids love this feature!
Ok buttons on front of controller
6 buttons
1) top left ( this is your 20% rate setting ) beginner setting, I'll explain, in this mode stunts are disabled , but when you push any sticks around, the V222 flies easy and steady, gently turns, and momentum, very smooth
2) middle Left ( 40% rate ) now when you move sticks around the v222 is more aggressive in turns and such, but still smooth
( stunts disabled this mode )
3) bottom Left ( 80% rate ) now the v222 will turn even more aggressively, banking harder and faster
Stunts are avail this mode or next
4) top right button. ( 100% rate ) stunts avail, now the quad is just badd assed, full turn and momentum ( tons of fun and very fast )
5) middle right button ( this turns lights on and off ) really cool at night ( quad has great range )
6) bottom right button ( still pictures, hook down, all middles launched at once / bubbles in off, water cannon on off )

As you can see tons and tons of fun! Also it takes up to 3 weeks delivery time from Banggood! You might want to eBay it, get it faster, prices a bit more, but that is up to you

Also ( little info ) I learned the hard way
These quads are all interchangeable parts
V222 ( updated v959 ) 6 axis
V959 4 axis
V212 ( upgraded v949 )
V949
V202 ( upgraded v929. )
V929

Only different is bodies and circuit boards , everything else is the same!
But DEFINATELY go with the V222 it is the best!
Tough little guy! Very sturdy!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

Also do not buy PROJECTOR ATTATCHMENT, no mounting hardware or instructions, plus you have to be so close
To a wall to even see it ( waste if money ) but the rest are cool!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

Jerry:

Thanks so very much. I just ordered the V222 from banggood.com. It turns out I'm going to be on vacation, so a couple of weeks of delay is no big deal.

Your advice helped me a lot and I do appreciate it.

My best to you!

No problem
You might want these items as we'll,

5x batteries
5x1 charger adaptor. ( charge 5 batteries at once )
American power adaptor ( as it comes with china plug with USA adaptor ) but adaptor ALWAYS falls off.
About an extre $25 but worth it!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl