Newbe

Reaction score
Hi, I've never owned or flown a drone. I'd like to buy a DI Phantom. Would it be better if I bought a cheaper drone as my first drone before I buy a more expensive one. I mean should I practice on a cheap drone before I buy something like a DJ phantom. Thanks John

You could, but nothing flies quite like a Phantom. If you take the time to learn, start out slow, and fly safely, you should have no trouble flying a Phantom.

Agreed,I never flew before and it took me maybe 3-5 hours to fully learn to fly. It's extremely easy. Just make sure you fly above anything you could run into.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum chile1. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

A small practice UAV is fine but like they said, it is very easy to fly a GPS stabilized UAV. Maybe even look for a used Phantom 2 or Phantom 2Vision+ to learn on prior to getting a Pro or Advanced. And don't discount the Standard as it is a cheaper alternative that is very capable. You can download the manuals from the DJI site. Learn about all the aircrafts functions and how to safely operate it. It is a complex machine that you should fully understand before heading out. Start slow and easy in a wide open area with no obstacles or overhead wires. Enjoy your new Phantom when it arrives. :)

And don't discount the Standard as it is a cheaper alternative that is very capable.
Good point. And, if you decide to get the Standard and upgrade to a P3A/P3P later, most of your accessories (batteries, props, case, etc.) will be compatible. So, you won't have to start out from scratch again.

I would recommend the Phantom, but I am a little biased I have a pretty much brand new phantom Vision 2 with a number of extras and a Nanuk carrying case that I would like to sell

My first drone was a Phantom 3 Professional, I bought this past summer. Im an amateur photographer so I love the pictures and videos Ive been getting. I have no regrets at all about going with this model. Im still taking it real easy with the flying however :)

I'm pretty new to the drone world and bought myself a P2 and added an FPV system. You'll be able to find a deal on a used P1 or P2 at this point. There's also a holiday deal (or at least Black Friday) on the P3 Standard for $499. If you were like me and didn't want to spend alot of money just yet because you want to learn to fly, go for a used P1 or P2. At least then your in the full-sized range of quads then when your ready to get something better, sell off the one you have and get a newer model. That is my plan. buy a P2....learn to fly, learn the ins and outs of the hobby....then maybe upgrade to the P5 or so down the road.

I bought a Phantom 2 last Spring. I did not want to spend $700 on a toy that I had no idea how to fly. So I bought a Hubsan H107L for $40. I also bought propguards, you will need it! I bought this to practice with first and I had many crashes and pilot errors.
If you buy this, be sure to get the Hubsan in "Mode 2". Mode 2 is the same control setup as the phantom (throttle on left side). so when you switch, you will not have to adjust for anything.

When I finally bought the Phantom, BOY was the Phantom easy to fly! I know many people will say just buy the Phantom, and I see their point. It is easy to fly, but still - $40 is cheap to learn things and not weep when it crashes due to pilot errors.

I bought a Phantom 2 last Spring. I did not want to spend $700 on a toy that I had no idea how to fly. So I bought a Hubsan H107L for $40. I also bought propguards, you will need it! I bought this to practice with first and I had many crashes and pilot errors.
If you buy this, be sure to get the Hubsan in "Mode 2". Mode 2 is the same control setup as the phantom (throttle on left side). so when you switch, you will not have to adjust for anything.

When I finally bought the Phantom, BOY was the Phantom easy to fly! I know many people will say just buy the Phantom, and I see their point. It is easy to fly, but still - $40 is cheap to learn things and not weep when it crashes due to pilot errors.

I think he'll need these at first while learning, at least. During my learning, my phantom was going towards a fence because I got confused with controls. Being stupid, I went and grabbed the landing gear to keep it from hitting the fence. Well the phantom tilted and the prop sliced my arm up. I didn't need stitches but it sucked. My first instinct was to grab the phantom because that is what I did with the toy quads/helicopters that had only because the props were foam. Thats why I say the guards are very useful at first. Then once your comfortable, take them off if you want to.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl