New to this

Reaction score
Just bought a used Phantom 3 standard off ebay. I have just been flying the quads from tower hobbies and decided I want to be able to take pictures and some video. I understand it is not the best camera but hopefully it will do what I want. If I see I really like fooling with it I can get something later that is a little better. Just didn't want to tie up big bucks right off the bat.
What do I need to do to fly it legally. Do I need to register it, get license or anything like that? I haven't read up on it yet. I am going to use my phone to start but was wondering if there is a cheaper priced tablet I could use. Like I said I don't know anything about this. The is a guy on youtube that has a good video from unboxing to flying. It seems like he really does a good job about using the app. I went ahead and downloaded on my phone. Hope I can do everything I need to to get it going. I have a friend that has a Phantom but not sure what model. If I have to I will get him to help me.
I was wondering if anyone is making money with their drone taking pictures or video. After I really learn how to use mine I may contact a few of the real estate companies around here and see if they might be interested. I am pretty sure no real estate companies here have any kind of aerial pictures or video. We are way behind times here. I understand you have to have a special license and take a test of some sort. I did read about that and they actually give the test here where I live. This is a ways down the road but I was just thinking about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Well from what it seems like I read, you are looking more to fly this drone for recreational purposes only My answer will be based off this.

The Phantom 3 Standard is a blast. Normally low risk and is essentially what I'm using to "train" or get a hang of before I fly my Phantom 4 Standard. I think that DJI has done a wonderful job with their entry drone. To start flying legally outside of your home, you need to register your drone from the FAA (Federal Aviation Association or whatever) and print a "registration card" which costs $5. Go here: FAADroneZone

After you put in your information, agree to the rules, and print your permit, you are legally ready to fly; make sure you have a physical copy available at ALL times and are able to readily provide proof of registration upon request.

But hold up Captain, you'll get a registration number (alphanumerical) and you need to place that number - either write it or print a label maker - and affix that registration ID/number to your drone in a place that is readily visible (NOT INSIDE YOUR BATTERY COMPARTMENT).

That is all tbh. As for commercial flying, well then that's another story. You still need to register the drone with FAA but you need to abide by new Part 107 guidelines instead of just the checklist rules given by the FAA.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. You will love your Phantom 3!

As a recreational flyer all that is required is that you register the aircraft with the FAA. $5, Cheap!

As to making money, yes, there are many people here who generate income with their drones and real estate is a segment you could pursue. And as you have heard, you will need to take a test. To operate the controls of a small UAS under Part 107, you need a remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating, or be under the direct supervision of a person who holds such a certificate.

Personally, I think the range and camera that comes with the P3S would suffice for real estate side work. Nevertheless, I am fairly certain there are a lot of people here that would beg to differ! I'll let them weigh in.

Well from what it seems like I read, you are looking more to fly this drone for recreational purposes only My answer will be based off this.

The Phantom 3 Standard is a blast. Normally low risk and is essentially what I'm using to "train" or get a hang of before I fly my Phantom 4 Standard. I think that DJI has done a wonderful job with their entry drone. To start flying legally outside of your home, you need to register your drone from the FAA (Federal Aviation Association or whatever) and print a "registration card" which costs $5. Go here: Drone Registration Form

After you put in your information, agree to the rules, and print your permit, you are legally ready to fly; make sure you have a physical copy available at ALL times and are able to readily provide proof of registration upon request.

But hold up Captain, you'll get a registration number (alphanumerical) and you need to place that number - either write it or print a label maker - and affix that registration ID/number to your drone in a place that is readily visible (NOT INSIDE YOUR BATTERY COMPARTMENT).

That is all tbh. As for commercial flying, well then that's another story. You still need to register the drone with FAA but you need to abide by new Part 107 guidelines instead of just the checklist rules given by the FAA.
Welcome to the world of dji drones many hours of enjoyment to come. This forum incredibily useful to you

Thank you all for the replies. I have been thinking about getting one for a while. When I get my drone in I will get the license. I understand you have to have the serial number of the drone and I don't have that yet. Also I wanted to ask. I have a Samsung phone. Model number is sj320w. Android version ks 7.1.1. I have downloaded the DJI GO app. If it downloads the app does that mean I can use it with the Phantom? Not sure. If not what could I use for a reasonable price as the monitor. I guess that is what you would call it. Thanks again for the information.

Thank you all for the replies. I have been thinking about getting one for a while. When I get my drone in I will get the license. I understand you have to have the serial number of the drone and I don't have that yet. Also I wanted to ask. I have a Samsung phone. Model number is sj320w. Android version ks 7.1.1. I have downloaded the DJI GO app. If it downloads the app does that mean I can use it with the Phantom? Not sure. If not what could I use for a reasonable price as the monitor. I guess that is what you would call it. Thanks again for the information.
For Android, there are two version: DJI Go Pre Phantom 4 and DJI Go Phantom 4 and Above. Make sure to install the Pre Phantom 4 version for your Android device (the Samsung J3 should work fine).

Reactions: Droner66
Do I need to register it, get license or anything like that?
If flying as a hobbyist in the US, you should register under "Section 336" on the FAA's website here. Don't register at the link @LeftHandFlyer provided above since that's a 3rd party that will register with the FAA on your behalf for an extra fee.

Your FAA registration number needs to be attached to your drone in a location that's accessible without using tools. I placed one of these small stickers inside of the battery compartment like this:

4.jpg

I have a Samsung phone. Model number is sj320w. Android version ks 7.1.1. I have downloaded the DJI GO app. If it downloads the app does that mean I can use it with the Phantom?
Perhaps. If the live video feed is choppy while flying, then try setting up your phone like this:

Install DJI GO on an Android Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide)

If your phone still isn't able to run DJI GO well at that point, then try one of the other commonly used phones or tablets from this list:

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily)

Saw a video on you tube talking about tablets for the standard. Will the Galaxy tab E lite work ok. I know it isn't a real expensive but will it work ok. The guy doing the video said it had a touch of lag but now to bad. It is a 100.00 at Wal Mart. I can go a little more than that if I have to but I would like to keep it down if I could.

msinger gave you a link to a list of devices that will work. If you use a device that's not on that list, you're ON YOUR OWN.

Saw a video on you tube talking about tablets for the standard. Will the Galaxy tab E lite work ok. I know it isn't a real expensive but will it work ok. The guy doing the video said it had a touch of lag but now to bad. It is a 100.00 at Wal Mart. I can go a little more than that if I have to but I would like to keep it down if I could.

Just bought a used Phantom 3 standard off ebay. I have just been flying the quads from tower hobbies and decided I want to be able to take pictures and some video. I understand it is not the best camera but hopefully it will do what I want. If I see I really like fooling with it I can get something later that is a little better. Just didn't want to tie up big bucks right off the bat.
What do I need to do to fly it legally. Do I need to register it, get license or anything like that? I haven't read up on it yet. I am going to use my phone to start but was wondering if there is a cheaper priced tablet I could use. Like I said I don't know anything about this. The is a guy on youtube that has a good video from unboxing to flying. It seems like he really does a good job about using the app. I went ahead and downloaded on my phone. Hope I can do everything I need to to get it going. I have a friend that has a Phantom but not sure what model. If I have to I will get him to help me.
I was wondering if anyone is making money with their drone taking pictures or video. After I really learn how to use mine I may contact a few of the real estate companies around here and see if they might be interested. I am pretty sure no real estate companies here have any kind of aerial pictures or video. We are way behind times here. I understand you have to have a special license and take a test of some sort. I did read about that and they actually give the test here where I live. This is a ways down the road but I was just thinking about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Another newbie here! I want to post on this forum but can't find a POST button - onlyREPLY so I hope you don't mind my butting in. Could somebody pls tell me how to start a post, as I have a question about P3S stills quality?. Sorry to be thick : retired teacher, so what else do you expect ?
Incidentally, in UK you have to register with CAA & get the license if you fly & take images with the purpose of making money. Laws are to be tightened in November, I believe

The Phantom 3 Standard is a blast. Normally low risk and is essentially what I'm using to "train" or get a hang of before I fly my Phantom 4 Standard. I think that DJI has done a wonderful job with their entry drone. To start flying legally outside of your home, you need to register your drone from the FAA (Federal Aviation Association or whatever) and print a "registration card" which costs $5. Go here: FAADroneZone

The registration marking must be legible and durable. Sample methods include engraving, permanent marker, or self-adhesive label. It must also be visible or accessible. The number may be enclosed in a compartment only if you can access the compartment without tools.

Where did you see that you cannot put it in the battery compartment? The quote above is from Drone Pilot school. Not calling you out. I just want to make sure either way.

Thanks.
If flying as a hobbyist in the US, you should register under "Section 336" on the FAA's website here. Don't register at the link @LeftHandFlyer provided above since that's a 3rd party that will register with the FAA on your behalf for an extra fee.

Your FAA registration number needs to be attached to your drone in a location that's accessible without using tools. I placed one of these small stickers inside of the battery compartment like this:

View attachment 100847

Perhaps. If the live video feed is choppy while flying, then try setting up your phone like this:

Install DJI GO on an Android Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide)

If your phone still isn't able to run DJI GO well at that point, then try one of the other commonly used phones or tablets from this list:

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily)

The registration marking must be legible and durable. Sample methods include engraving, permanent marker, or self-adhesive label. It must also be visible or accessible. The number may be enclosed in a compartment only if you can access the compartment without tools.

Where did you see that you cannot put it in the battery compartment? The quote above is from Drone Pilot school. Not calling you out. I just want to make sure either way.

Thanks.
Yikes! I try not to be the spreader of bad news. If I recall correctly I think it was on a website that gave a scenario in case the drone crashed or fell into water and removing the battery was not "an option" --> not easily legible or accessed.

The number may be enclosed in a compartment only if you can access the compartment without tools.

That's what I remember reading on the FAA website when I registered.

The reward deal might be a good idea. I think I will put my name and phone number in small letters on the bottom of the craft.

The reward deal might be a good idea. I think I will put my name and phone number in small letters on the bottom of the craft.

A label maker works well for this application. I’ve got ‘Reward if Found’ and my cell number on all my birds...........just in case it goes wandering off exploring on its own one day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18