New Remote / Distance Problem

Reaction score
Glad to be back!
Had a bit of trouble with DJI customer service however I broke down and had to buy a new remote. Was excited to fly drone today, first time in a few months. But, I am only getting a Height of around 150 ft. and a max distance of around 450 ft. in the wide open country. Checked the info on screen info and Im running App. 3.1.8 with version 1.8.10 that's what I'm getting on my Samsung Phone thru the DJI GO app.
Can anyone HELP me with this connection issue. The bars on the DJI GO screen drop fast on the remote status after I reach a height of 100 ft. Any info would be appreciated.
Happy Flying.
By the way I have the max height set at 130 m and the distance limit turned off.

Last edited:
It would help us to know which model Phantom you are flying.
He says he has a P3 standard but he had to buy a new remote.On another post he said he didn't have a button to RTH so he has to turn the remote off,I wonder if he has the right remote ...

He says he has a P3 standard but he had to buy a new remote.On another post he said he didn't have a button to RTH so he has to turn the remote off,I wonder if he has the right remote ...
would it even connect with anything but a p3s remote ? is the app and firmware correct for android ? would it even at all work if not ?

Maybe Red Hawk will see this post and come back to fill us in on a few more details.

Switch off Beginner mode ... unselect max distance .... put 500m in the max altitude box ...

You have all default beginner limits set at present.... 30m height 300m distance etc. etc. etc.

You may have to login to DJI Go account to unlock as latest FW locks down distance / height etc. till you login again ... then change above settings....

Nigel

I doubt he is in beginner mode since he is flying out around 450 ft (137m) and beginner mode you are limited to distance.

Thanks for the suggestions. DJI is going to replace the remote. Hope a new remote fixes the problem. I was able to fly out to around a mile before and the drone would fly up to the 400 m height limit. But gradually started losing distance so I sent it in and DJI said the remote had a bad board but since I drilled a hole in the remote cover to install a better DJI device holder they would not honor the warranty. So I had to buy a new one. However something weird happened with the new remote after I linked it to the drone the version was 1.8.10 and it downgraded to version 1.2.40+ which I thought was strange. The app stayed at 3.1.8
Sorry for the lack of info. in my first post. I have a Phantom 3 standard.

Glad your getting it all worked out.I also drilled a hole in mine to install a holder for my 8" tablet knowing i'm up a creek if I have a problem with it.In time i'll probably drill more holes in it who knows ...
Are you the one who flies the canyons and forests in Okla or am I thinking of someone else ?.

Thanks for the suggestions. DJI is going to replace the remote. Hope a new remote fixes the problem. I was able to fly out to around a mile before and the drone would fly up to the 400 m height limit. But gradually started losing distance so I sent it in and DJI said the remote had a bad board but since I drilled a hole in the remote cover to install a better DJI device holder they would not honor the warranty. So I had to buy a new one. However something weird happened with the new remote after I linked it to the drone the version was 1.8.10 and it downgraded to version 1.2.40+ which I thought was strange. The app stayed at 3.1.8
Sorry for the lack of info. in my first post. I have a Phantom 3 standard.

Key statements from two posts.

"I am only getting a Height of around 150 ft. and a max distance of around 450 ft."
"The bars on the DJI GO screen drop fast on the remote status after I reach a height of 100 ft."
Which bars?

You never state what is keeping you from getting pasts these distances.
Remote Control Signal?
RTH Activates?
Live Video feed?
Telemetry is good?

"But gradually started losing distance"
Gradually? like a day, a week or weekday?
You got anyway you can try another remote, before you send it off?
What happen to your original remote its it the same problem?

Rod

He says "DJI is going to replace the remote".His sent his original remote to DJI for repair and they said it had a bad board in it but wouldn't cover it under warranty and sent it back to him.He explained it in post # 10.

Yes, I see that, but I'm still confused, Is or does both remotes have the same problem?

Rod

Yes, I see that, but I'm still confused, Is or does both remotes have the same problem?

Rod
He said his original remote slowly died and the new one he bought from DJI never worked from the get go. I have been trying to find schematics on these remotes without any luck but found some interesting reading on power outputs. :(

Glad to be back!
Had a bit of trouble with DJI customer service however I broke down and had to buy a new remote.
Why did you think the problem was caused by the RC, and not the drone itself?
Don't forget there are two dipole antennas inside the landing skid, if the receiver side is faulty, you could see the same sympton as you are seeing now.

He said his original remote slowly died and the new one he bought from DJI never worked from the get go. I have been trying to find schematics on these remotes without any luck but found some interesting reading on power outputs. :(

"the new one he bought from DJI never worked from the get go"
Well that I didn't catch in his posts. :)

Rod

"the new one he bought from DJI never worked from the get go"
Well that I didn't catch in his posts. :)

Rod
Like I said,I have been reading about power or lack of it and since I can't find a schematic then I need a remote to look it over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72